Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Waterproof trousers – your recomendations please
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I need to get some new waterproof trousers, mainly for walking, but it would make sense to get some with cycling friendly feautres for grim winter riding.

I like the look of the Alura Attack-X due to the variable leg-length. I’ve got some other Altura trousers and they fit fine. Problem is my leg-length:waist ratio doesn’t comply with the national average, 32″ waist, 34″ leg. (Another gripe – why do bike clothing manufacturers follow the national trend when most people who cycle are relativly fit?)

Any recomendations on performance, and also fit?

druidh
    Free Member

Being a bit of a short-arse, I find most waterproof trousers too long 🙂 I just kept ton trying some until I found some Mountain Equipment GoreTex Active-Shell trousers that do me for walking and cycling. GoreTex AS seems to be about the most breathable of the membrane waterproofs.

I bought some of these when they were on offer a while ago.
    http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/blaze-waterproof-breathable-cycle-leggings-black-sml
    Been commuting in the rain and my legs are the only bit that stays dry.
    They work and they’re comfortable.

druidh
    Free Member

MTG – they look very similar to the Endura Stealth tights, have you seen those and could you compare? I find the Stealths overly warm for most of the year and I have trouble accommodating my Hoy-like thighs in them due to the limited stretch in the material, but they’ve served me well over 3 winters……

Never tried any other good quality waterproofs to compare them.
    They are very similar to my ordinary cycling tights, just a bit thicker, a bit less stretchy and a bit shiny.

druidh
    Free Member

Shiny tights. You’re projecting a good look there 😉

ransos
    Free Member

I have Endura ones which work a treat, but I think you might struggle with the leg length.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have similar dimensions to you….33″ waist and 34″ inside leg, and my Altura Attack trousers fit a treat. The length is good, the waist band has decent adjustment to give a nice snug fit and they have shaped knees to stop the ankles riding up when pedalling. After two years use they are still in tip top condition so they appear to be worth the asking price.

Garry_Lager

The german army flectarn ones are superb for walking and serviceable for commuting on the bike. They’re not a good fit for any serious mountain biking though IME. You’d get a pair on ebay for 20 quid though so worth considering if they were going to be used predominately for walking.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks.

Triend Endura Singletrack torusers in the past and was dissapointed in the length.
    Will go to the LBS at lunchtime and see if they’ll get some Attacks in.

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof trousers – your recomendations please’ is closed to new replies.