Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • water from a dehumidifier.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Is it potable?
    Just wondrin, wasn’t planning on drinking it, just hypothetical.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I suspect the condenser gets a bit gammy after a while so I wouldn’t risk it. It has effectively been damp and sucking all the airborne crap it can find for years. In theory a clean one should be ok though…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely a stiff gin would be a better cure for your insomnia, Jojo! 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

If you’re awake, you could be doing the homework I set you…

jojoA1
    Free Member

I prefer port.
    It’s the blasted dripping of the switched off dehumidifier that’s keeping me awake!

jojoA1
    Free Member

Ah, druidh, I could, but the garage is affa cold just now…

druidh
    Free Member

Put a sponge in it?

jojoA1
    Free Member

….. Harsh. 😉

Though it puts me in mind of an ivor cutler piece called “life in a scotch sitting room” or somesuch.

druidh
    Free Member
    jojoA1
    Free Member

Sofa

druidh
    Free Member

Oh aye. I forgot your middle-class upbringing.

Northwind

druidh – Member

Couch or settee?

chaise longue

jojoA1
    Free Member

Ooh, cheeky!
    captainflasheart could confirm the “U” and “Non U” credentials of lounge furniture nomenclature.

Goddamn that triple shot latte this afternoon!

jojoA1
    Free Member

Daybed? That’s all I use mine for…

user-removed
    Free Member

My grandad had a dehumidifier to protect various artworks, especially the family portraits and another in the garage to protect the Triumph Razor-edges and the Standard Vanguards (wooden upper structures). He wasn’t able to empty the tank (he’s now 97) so the task was left to me. The stench coming out of the recovered water was pretty foul. I wouldn’t drink it.

If you like the taste of dust then you’re on to a winner.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sofa is U. Anything else isn’t.

🙂

On another note, a McDonalds lunch is an awesome hangover cure.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I know that in theory it should be pure water, however I think you’ll find that in reality as the water condenses it takes all the pollutants with it, and there is of course no chlorine in it to kill any bugs.

I once gathered a load of pure white virgin snow and melted it with the intention of using it in a soft water aquarium. I was horrified at the dirty dark coloured water that had resulted from the pure white unadulterated snow.

The condenser itself in the dehumidifier which the water runs off, will be covered with moulds and bacteria – think of how badly the air-con in a car can smell if it hasn’t been used for a while.

The only use water from a dehumidifier has is in a steam iron.

hels
    Free Member

I saw Ivor Cutler at the Edinburgh Fest once. He was awesome. Best putting down of hecklers in history !

(sorry can’t help you with your drinking problem tho…)

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers 🙂 I’m amazed at how much moisture can be wrung out a seemingly dry room. Will water the plants with it.

Hels, I’m envious of you having seen Ivor Cutler. I’ll have to dig out the CD to remind myself of the bit about the girls in “Life in a Scotch Sitting Room” having to micturate on a sponge which was then wrung out.

Right, must force myself from the ‘Sofa’ for elevenses 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure I’d risk drinking from a bucket full of legionella but so long as you don’t breathe in vapours of it I suspect you’ll be fine.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

*waves at jojo*

I’m in a hard water area, I use the stuff to water orchids and suchlike delicate flowers. Once it’s been going for a while, the inside of the tank looks gross, you wouldn’t use it for much else.

Deffo wouldn’t put it in a steam iron.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

on water meter here, so I like to think I’m offsetting cost of running dehumidifier by using it to flush toilet/water the few plants/fill bird bath

hey 2 litre a day savings is 2 litre a day savings

but no .. wouldn’t drink it

jojoA1
    Free Member

The tank’s really clean looking, not gross at all, which is what set me wondering when I’ve been emptying it.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Give it time and you’ll see.

I have a US-spec model and the instructions say bomb the tank with bleach at frequent intervals. You know what the yanks are like about being sued. It’s only grey fur, maybe there will be enough for a coat one day.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep, I use bleach to deal with the build up of slime/bacteria.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘water from a dehumidifier.’ is closed to new replies.