Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Watchmen
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

Although the thought of watching an indestructible naked smurf wander around a pointless plot isn’t filling me with joy.

That makes it sound even more appealing! Although not as appealing as The Saturday Morning Watchmen!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w[/video]

I liked the graphic novel and I liked the film – I thought the changes the film made were necessary. You always have to trim and tweak as there’s stuff that will work in one medium that won’t work in another. I liked the V for Vendetta film too though, so Moore and Moore purists would probably quite like to set me on fire.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

an indestructible naked smurf

Brilliant! 😆

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Enjoyed ‘Watchmen’ but didn’t think much of ‘V for Vendetta’ – that chap in the mask was an irritating little twerp…

Kevevs
    Free Member

personally, I’ve never seen a good graphic novel turned into a film better than “Ghost World”. Really underrated adaptation I reckon.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Over hyped, over long but not complete crap.

It does contain a cracking quote from the Rorschach character just after he’s dunked a prisoner into the deep fat fryer.

“You don’t understand. I’m not locked in here with you, you’re locked in here with me!”

theboatman
    Free Member

Bit long, but nice and bleak. Blue guy with his cock out is a little off putting, but I found just thinking about a song I liked helped those bits pass more easily.

Kevevs
    Free Member

so I guess you didn’t think it was about deconstructing the myth or meaning of the superhero within its own context, cos that’s all boring comic book stuff anyway. just a film with a blue bloke with a big blue cock and some fight n explosions. see I told you it didn’t translate!

theboatman
    Free Member

just a film with a blue bloke with a big blue cock and some fight n explosions

+1

Kevevs
    Free Member

see I told you it didn’t translate from the, oh I didn’t, oh never mind.

theboatman
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m only teasing…it’s better than thinking about some of the stuff I saw working in A&E tonight. I rather enjoyed watchmen when I saw it at the cinema.

Kevevs
    Free Member

i’m messing about as well 🙂 it’s fun.

rOcKeTdOg

For some reason i found the scene where the girls mum is attacked over the pool table very disturbing, i wasn’t expecting that at all. A film that exceeds my expectations can only be good

Wookster

Cultural analyst Nikki Hollis said: “If you ask me, Watchmen is just Bash Street Kids with hovering blue penises.

I love the daily mash!! Nice one flashheart!! 😆

I though it was alright but it didn’t click for me in the way Sin city did or Three hundred. As for comic book to film conversions go Kick Ass was a good one.

Deveron53
    Free Member

For those who liked the graphic novel without becoming an obsessed fanboy, you’ll enjoy the accuracy in the transfer to the big screen. The whole story has a certain resonance as it involves a ‘false flag’ operation.
    I also have a soft spot for the Stallone Judge Dredd film. Again, I liked the comics but didn’t become a fanboy and therefore enjoyed the film, they got the world spot-on.
    If you want to see a big blue superhero you can’t get better than…
    THE TICK
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AujPl-Au3M0&feature=related[/video]
    The most hilarious super hero since ‘Mystery Men’. Watch out for Batmanuel, it’s Nestor Carbonell from Lost!

Kato

I liked it, but as said before didn’t like them monkeying around with the ending

Worth it solely for Rorschach’s “I’m not locked in here with you, you’re locked in here with me” scene

Sawyer
    Free Member

It’s probably the best possible two hour adaptation of the book you could do, would have loved to have seen Gilliam’s mini-series though if that had gone ahead, there’s too much for two hours.

I actually think the film ending works a lot better than it would have if the books ending was used on screen.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Watchmen, flawed but good. Well worth a watch. It’s got to be better than the comic book crap I’m watching at the moment, The Hulk. Started ok but has turned into a farce.

dogbert
    Free Member

Con Air’s on BBC1 if you fancy something a bit more cerebral

kimbers

is it me or has the sound screwed up?

coogan
    Free Member

I adore the book. And I loved the film. So there you are. All sorted.

Rorschach
    Free Member

My feelings about it are a little obvious 🙂

Garry_Lager

Enjoyed seeing that – thks for putting the thread up or I wouldn’t ahve known it was on.
    Great feel to the film but too much reverence for the book IMHO. Really hard to adapt, you either butcher it to get something well-structured, but that usually ends up as formulaic holywood garbage. Or you pay homage and get a superb look and atmosphere but a completely un-workable film. Watchmen felt too close to the latter; being 12 hours long didn’t help. Agree that they probably did the best they could for a tricky adaptation.

Kuco

Don’t know if I was just tired but found it a bit boring and gave up 2/3 through it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

too much reverence for the book comic

FTFY.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Don’t know if I was just tired but found it a bit boring and gave up 2/3 through it

me too saw it was on until 1am and thought balls I’m off to bed – sorry

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup I gave up about 2/3rds though. Just didn’t feel engaged by the characters.

billybob
    Free Member

personally, I’ve never seen a good graphic novel turned into a film better than “Ghost World”. Really underrated adaptation I reckon.

I personally think The Walking Dead is the best adaptation, sometimes I think when adapting graphic novels or books, the format would better suit a tv serial.

Klunk
    Free Member

300 is my favourite graphic novel adaptation, beautifully stylised.

kimbers

walking dead is good but has strayed way to far from the comic imho

id love to see really good tv version of Y the last man

MrsToast
    Free Member

I think my favourite graphic novel adaptation is Scott Pilgrim. I also loved Kick Ass, and quite a lot of the Marvel superhero ones too (Thor, X-Men First Class, Iron Man).

We do not speak of Spiderman 3 or Ghost Rider. Ever.

Stoner
    Free Member

I tucked myself into bed at midnight and left the computer recording the rest of it. Finished it off last night. I rather enjoyed it, but then Ive never ready a comic book story either.

I particularly like Rorshach. Sufficiently nasty bastard.

And oddly enough I dont feel threatened by a computer generated Smurf phallus on the screen. Must be the modern man that I am 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Rorshach is the best comic/graphic novel, or whatever you want to call them, character I’ve read. Clearly bonkers and doesn’t run around in tights. As far as know…

Harry_the_Spider

And oddly enough I dont feel threatened by a computer generated Smurf phallus on the screen. Must be the modern man that I am

Neither was I. I think it was because the afore mentioned Smurf phallus wasn’t exactly a trip hazard.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Watchmen’ is closed to new replies.