Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wasps nests – how long for?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Any wasp experts in da house?

I've got a wasp nest above my shed door, been going on for a couple or three weeks maybe – lots of activity, it's starting to impinge on using the shed. Anyway, I had one elsewhere one year, kind of just forgot about it and didn't cause any problems. This one is in a inconvenient spot, and is busier than the previous, I want to know if it's likely to continue all summer (I know the workers eventually seal up the nest)or do they move on?

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Nuke. It.

woodsman
    Free Member

Tempting – but it'll burn my shed down with it! 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

wait until dark,

have something smoky burning blow smoke into hive for a bit

have a bucket with durv ready

get someone to knock nest into bucket

light,

elliptic
    Free Member

They'll be there for the summer but will abandon the nest after that.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Get the foam spray killer stuff, and wipe them out. It takes minutes

donald
    Free Member

What elliptic said

cynic-al
    Free Member

TheBrick why not offer to help LOL

chickenman

Jaysus…what is it with the human race that we are happy to have livestock herded mooing, baaing and c**ping themselves into abbatoirs so we can eat meat, yet we go all touchy-feely over wasps FFS!
    Wait till dark and blow wasp powder into the nests or use the spray if you don't fancy getting hands on!!

TheBrick
    Free Member

£100 plus travel costs. 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive dealt with them in 2 ways,
    1- hit it with a cricket bat and run like ****
    2- live with them for the summer, theyre not too much of a problem in general and apparently once they have left the nest it prevents new nests in the same area

on reflection option 2 was best for me

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Call the council for advice? pest control dept?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The wasp powder works well, chuck loads on after dark & retreat, reapply as needed. I had one on the eaves of the house which meant plenty were finding there way into the bathroom & the kids were stressing. I wasn't keen on going up a ladder & upsetting the little dears whilst 30' up, so I tied a rag to the top of the ladder& put on copious amounts on the powder & half blocked their entrance hole with it, I'm sure it would of worked if I hadn't bothered siliconeing up the hole in the middle of the night, forcing them to exit in to the house covered in white powder 😕 the wife was ecstatic.

nuke

Get the foam spray killer stuff, and wipe them out. It takes minutes

Used this when I've had wasp nests but both times it was in the eaves of roofs that were inaccessible internally. It did work and it was great for spraying deep into the eaves then expanded quickly. Wasn't a matter of minutes though….more like a week long battle.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hooligans in stripy vests!! Be wary, mates dad had a nasty incident with one he caught by accident with a hedge trimmer. Got away with about 10 stings first time. On fleeing he dropped the trimmer, after an hr of self pity and courage plucking decided to go retrieve the trimmer. Little feckers were waiting and did him again!! Whatever you do make it count first time!!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I paid £25 to get rid of the one in my garage roof. I was not attempting that one.

boxelder

I got stung a couple of weeks ago and 24hr later was in A+E with a course of anti-hystemine and antibiotics.
    I got rid of the nest with the foaming stuff. To kill the minimum number, do it at the hottest time of the day.
    For the holocaust approach, midnight.

woodsman
    Free Member

Well, I had two attempts at removing the nest, with a bucket of smoking paper/foliage and a garden rake – and leg it immediately after. I just couldn't access it properly, and after the two attempts and no stings, I decided to quit whilst I was ahead.

I called the local wasp man, and as luck would have it, he was on his way home – a crisp ten pound note and job's a good-un – I hope!

Cheers for the advice, and by the way, smoke is only affective on honey bees – aggrevates wasps according to wasp man. 🙂

warton
    Free Member

If you can pay 25 quid to get someone else to do it, I'd do that.

warton
    Free Member

whoops, just sen your post! very wise!

woodsman
    Free Member

Looks all clear this morning – I can actually get in the shed now without being dive bombed by the blighters!

mike_p
    Free Member

We had one in the back garden last year… left them alone to start with, but after one of the bastards got me I lost my rag, connected the hose pipe up to the hot tap and boiled the feckers. Sorted.

My advice is to get your retaliation in first.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wasps nests – how long for?’ is closed to new replies.