Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • warranty & replacement item
  • mildred

If a phone manufacturer replace an item with a new phone under warranty, should the new one benefit from its full warranty from the date of exchange?

Cougar

No.

BoardinBob

It didn’t when I got a replacement iphone from apple. Dunno if it’s supposed to, but the warranty on the replacement was only valid until the end of the original warranty

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

In an ideal world yes, in a corporate world no. We dont live in an ideal world.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Warrenty is whatever the manufacturer says it is. It is on top of your legal rights.

mildred

BoardinBob – yup, mines an I-phone. I got it replaced in July and its now failed again. It seems odd that a manufacturer can supply a new product without any kind of assurance of it working.

I felt happy they’d replaced a faulty item in July but don’t understand how they can say that even though its brand new we dont stand by our product. I’d have thought the original purchase date is relevant only to the original item, and if its replaced then the replacement item carries its own warranty.

Cougar

It’s not a new purchase, though. They’re obliged to provide like-for-like replacements taking wear and tear into account, doesn’t have to be a new item. The fact that it is is a bonus.

If they were to refund the old one and sell you another, that’s a new contract and so a new warranty.

(ObDisclaimer, this is from memory, could be wrong)

Oggles
    Free Member

I got the earbuds/mic for my iphone replaced in an apple store. It was supplied with a full 12 month warranty from date of replacement (i’d had the phone about 9 months at that time). No idea if this would be true for the handset itself though…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘warranty & replacement item’ is closed to new replies.