• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wainwrights Walks
  • hora
    Free Member

I have to be careful posting this on here, the anti-walker brigade may haul me outside and duff me up.

Any fans? Stunning scenery, utterly so. Makes you understand the almost kinship with walkers of what we both understand and love..being out there 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

SFB & his bog snorkellers are great fans of the book

simon1975

There’s a BOOK is there?! I thought this thread would be about Julia…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB & his bog snorkellers are great fans of the book

SFB is a big fan of the fair Julia, and mainly watches the walks to see her :o)

chorlton
    Free Member

Yeah, i like it. I like the old footage as well. Makes me want to tackle Sharp Edge now.
    It helps that Julia presents it as well. 😀

grumm
    Free Member

I like the programme but find her a bit annoying tbh.

One episode she was walking along a fairly well-made path and came to a wall with a stile over it. She said in an excited voice ‘oooh look a ladder! That’s the last thing you would expect to see here’.

Sharp Edge is top though btw – possibly my favourite walk/scramble in the Lakes. Best in winter though. 😛

lowey

Yeha its a great program for lovers of the lakes.

I was brought up fell walking by my old fella, the Wainwright books are a masterpiece. Took him IIRC 13 years to make the pictorial guides and are totally unique. his attention to detail was stunning as was his presentation. His biggest charm though was the way in which a simple lad from a working class lancashire background found a nirvana in the lakes and how he expressed his love for the place. He really did have a way with words.

The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal. Always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the eternal forest, always there will be the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking, and those who seek and find while there is yet time will be blessed both in mind and body

A great man and a massive inspiration to me in my formative walking years.

DrJ

Also great for miserable expats like me who are dreaming of some proper British earth under their boots!! 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Also great for miserable expats like me who are dreaming of some proper British earth under their boots!!

..and rain on your head?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

She said in an excited voice ‘oooh look a ladder! That’s the last thing you would expect to see here’.

I quite like her charming innocence. I could patiently explain to her that, no, it isn’t “Score Fell” :o)

hora
    Free Member

I would be up the ladder right behind her, she would smell the stale garlic on my breath and say in a worried/faltering voice.. is that a small snub-nose gun in your trouser pocket pressing against my thigh

😆 8)

r6ymy
    Free Member

They’re great programs, I’ve seen them all a few times but still watch them when they get repeated, real escapism. The Wainwright guides are fantastic books, I’ll be going through mine picking out route for a weeks holiday in the Lakes in August.
    Anyone know when the next programme is on, I can’t find it on the Sky listings?

andywhit
    Free Member

“‘oooh look a fat middle aged IT professional mincing along on a full suspension mountainbike! That’s the last thing you would expect to see here’. ”

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Cheers, andywhit. I’ve got to clean my monitor of sprayed tea, now.

I love the programs. Makes me want to get out and see the Lakes and that.

I think she’s a great presenter for this kind of program. She has a genuine enthusiasm for walking, and really loves being in the outdoors. She always connects really well with the people she encounters along the way, and is not patronising or aloof about things.

Helps, that she’s sexy, too.

Is she not getting done for some kind of Air Miles scam?

That Sharp Edge looks well dodgy. I love the way she’s doing the ‘3 points of contact’ thing, and that hairy old mountain goat just skips along, without a care.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Is she not getting done for some kind of Air Miles scam?

now been cleared, so will be on Watchdog again

hora
    Free Member

What was that?

hora
    Free Member

Wainwrights Coast to Coast last night (repeat)- a 83yr old American who’s on his 6th coast to coast. Imagine the poor fella having to jump out of the way of a glorious mountain bike warrior!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wainwrights Walks’ is closed to new replies.