Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • VW T5 mileage
  • Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Not a huge amount on tinternet about this.
    Looking at a 150,000 2.5 T5. It has a full service printout from VW. My thoughts are that a big 2.5 diesel lump that has been looked after should be good for double that but it's the other bits and bobs, shocks, steering boxes, bushes etc, etc. Any high mileage T5 owners out there?
    What are your thoughts on owning one? good and bad experiences please.

Ta.

jond
    Free Member

Have a look at:
    http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/

and
    http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/
    (tho' you'll have to register)

steveh

My 2.5 130bhp t5 had done 125k when I sold it and I know another guy who bought one with 169k. The 2.5's are fairly solid, problems with turbos and injector seals (often related) are the most common.

It's all about the price really, how much is it? Got a link? There's a 53 plate t5 on ebay with that mileage but it had a new engine at 72k so would be worth watching to see what it goes for.

wellhung
    Free Member

Just replacing my turbo at 154,000 but on a T4 i'm the second owner it has FSH, but probably a better bet than say a Vivaro.

steveh

T4's and t5's are a different game though. While the 2.5 block is the same the rest of it is different hence up to 102bhp in a t4 and up to 174bhp in a t5.

wellhung
    Free Member

So does that mean the Turbo's stronger and will not go bit confused by your reply as you also state turbo's going on T5's. My experience is just that my T4 turbo blown at 154,00 with FSH 🙂

colnagokid

202000 on my 2.5 T5
    Turbo gave up at about 160000
    Water pump changed at 175000
    Er and I think thats about it!

steveh

Water pump should be done with the cambelt as it's relatively common for the water pump to sieze and as it's driven by the cambelt it throws the cambelt off and kills the engine.

wellhung – It means that the engine is less stressed in the t4 and will be running with lower boost pressure etc. 154k on a t5 for a turbo would be good going from what I've heard, especially bearing in mind could well be 5 years older as well.

marmottefarcie
    Free Member

Apologies for the slight hijack but I'd like to ask a related question:
    Having run the 1.9Tdi in 2 Passats and a Golf, I really rate that engine if its looked after.
    The most recent Passat is nearing 135k with no attention bar routine servicing.
    I briefly ran a 2.0Tdi in a Vrs Octavia and was disappointed by the way the engine/clutch behaved in slow moving traffic and the way in which it needed bags of revs to avoid stalling. I became wary about the whole 2.0 Tdi dual mass flywheel issues.
    I've recently been looking at T5 Tdi's and had sort of narrowed it down to 2.5 (130PS) vs. 1.9 (103PS).
    The 1.9 has been replaced by the 2.0 now so it'll be as low mileage 2nd hand as I can find if I go for the 1.9.
    I spoke to the local VW commercial dealer about servicing and they categorically denied any neccessity to change the water pump on the 2.5 as a preventative measure to avoid the occassional failure as described on the fora. It made me realise that I need to take main dealer advice with a pinch of salt.
    I realise that the T5 with the 1.9 would be a bit gutless but would it be the better bet than the 2.5 in terms of longevity, clutch life etc?
    I'm going to be using it as a family workhorse – shifting 2 adults 2 children, bikes, tents, canoes etc. Up to 20k each year.
    Thanks for any constructive suggestions.

steveh

The 1.9 102/3/4 bhp is probably a better bet long term, there are less known problems with them and spares/replacements are easy to get hold of. The 2.5 130bhp is the best overall in terms of driving, economy, comfort etc but there are more known issues with the 2.5 and they're much rarer. The 102 isn't slow unless really loaded up and can be remapped up to about 130bhp very easily.

The 6 speed box that comes with the 2.5's is nice for long distance cruising but not essential by any means. Oh and the 2.5 has also been replaced by the 2 litre AFAIK so it'll be just used either way.

NZCol

Well i just got the cambelt done on my 1.9tdi transporter T5 (98,000kms) and the dealer did it and the water pump and followers/tensioners etc all at once for the reasons outlined above. He was adamant that you have to do it otherwise he reckoned if you just do the belt more often than not the water pump seizes not that long after*

*His experience.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Interesting. Please keep the advice comming. I need as many opinons as I can get. It is going for £9,500 and is a tip tronic auto box if that matters?
    I think what seems to be the common thread is that if the turbo hasn't gone by now, it will do soon. What price did you pay for the turbo replacement?

colnagokid

My turbo replacement was (gulp) £1300! But that was with a new cat too, I imagine if you get the turbo re-conned it will be a lot cheaper, but mine disintegrated! and **** the cat (full of oil)
    Local garage sourced the bits and did the job, as opposed to main dealer who wanted, if I remember correctly, nearly £2k for the turbo and £800 for the cat, and that was just the bits!
    Also the service parts are pretty pricey, but still great vans

nasher
    Free Member

When I was in blacbushe auction there were 7 VW 1.9 T5's on 06/07 plates with around 70k on the clock going for 8-9k plus VAT all with waranted milage and service history (they were from LEX auto lease)

nwilko
    Free Member

beware of cheap T4's and T5's on ebay, their is high demand and its not uncommon for ebay to have a number of repeat dodgy adverts looking to scam your ebay account details. as previous posters suggested brickard and t4forum are highly recommended.
    If your low on budget a T4 is more basic (ie less electronics to go wrong) than with a T5 and hence a better bet..
    Would recommend some reading / lurking on either website and seriously consider converting yourself Or make sure you know what you want exactly, their are many offering impressive looking DIY / PRO conversions that have dodgy electrics / gas / water no insulation etc, etc but look great.
    Also make sure wheels & tyres are upto the weight of a van and not just cheapo car tyres, watch for cheapo lowering springs that leave you on the bumpstop..
    Love my T4 loads more practical than an estate car for me.
    T5 too pricey, and dont by an early one, as with any car the first couple of years is a bit pants quality wise compared to the run out of the old model.

steveh

I wouldn't touch it with the auto box, they don't have a great reliability reputation. Someone on here has a t5 with the auto and now needs a new gearbox!

Plus 9.5k is a huge amount of money for one with that mileage. Is it a kombi or something?

steveh

In fact give me some criteria and I'll find you some alternatives. Email in profile and I'll send some links back.

Budget, engine, short or long, van or kombi, use e.g. van, camper, everyday etc.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Steve,

Thanks.
    I need ideally a wheelchair access!!(that's stumped you hasn't it!!) T% has to be a caravelle or a transporter and has to be the 2.5 130.
    As you can imagine, with that criteria, there is not much about!
    I would love to go for a newer modal but with a 10k max budget, I simply can't afford it as they hold their prices so well.
    I have looked at the Vito dualiners too but we use them at work and build quality is shocking, all of the 04's are rustly and a lot of the 06's are well on their way, not ideal!!
    if anyone can find anything with that critera, LET ME KNOW. i need this van within a month!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘VW T5 mileage’ is closed to new replies.