Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Vulcan Tour 27 – 28 June
  • brassneck

Have they fixed the fuel tank then? Was at Old Sarum pretty much mainly to see it off… but unfortunately it had to go home before reaching Goodwood 🙁

jimw
    Free Member

The problem was that they “lost” just about a ton of fuel. I believe they had to decide if it really had leaked, there was a faulty gauge or that someone forgot to put in what they thought they had. Only had that info second hand tho

My understanding is that it was probably the second- gauge related- but this has not been confirmed as far as I am aware. Certainly it flew a display at Coventry yesterday, a major fuel leak is unlikely to have been fixed so soon

brassneck

Sounds likely. You have to expect these things, but times running out to see it again…

By way of compensation, a Spitfire on the Sunday was holding over my house, and decided it’d ‘loosen up’ a little – it’s amazing how distinct that sound is, and how it cuts through everything.

brassneck

Sounds likely. You have to expect these things, but times running out to see it again…

By way of compensation, a Spitfire on the Sunday was holding over my house, and decided it’d ‘loosen up’ a little – it’s amazing how distinct that sound is, and how it cuts through everything.

jerrys
    Free Member

Where are you Brassneck?

I spent sat and sunday on the hill by my house over looking Old sarum. Shame the Vulcan didn’t make it but the B-17, Mustang, Spit and Hurricane put on a good show.

crazy-legs

Heads up that the Vulcan is doing another country tour this coming weekend.
    Northern Loop (Saturday)
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.k9_QAWQWnmes

Southern Loop (Sunday)
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.k3u8IUZTll6M

Exact timings TBC but they’ve already said they’ll both be afternoon sorties. Certainly Manchester Airport has already put out a press release saying 3pm:
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/vulcan-xh558-farewell-tour-greater-10214680

tang
    Free Member

We have #jennride in the morning then off to the escarpment to see over Gloucester.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The Southern Loop doesnt really come to the South Coast, so I’ll have to make do with remembering it at Bournemouth on my birthday this year and then watching it fly over the Solent a week later.
    Saw it 3 times in 1 week at the end of August.
    Fare well old warrior!

Currently reading the Vulcan test pilot book (bought from the Vulcan to the Sky stand at Bournemouth). Pretty interesting, although Im currently on the section relating to Vulcan crashes which is a bit sad.

franksinatra

This is probably as good a time as any to highly recommend the book Vulcan 607. An awesome account of a mission that really should never have worked.

I was fortunate enough to hear a speech from the bomb aimer from that flight, his only criticism of the book was that it doesn’t quite do justice to just how close it was to complete disaster.

bigyinn
    Free Member

From the book….

Mid-air refuelling was as easy, according to one Vulcan pilot, as “sticking wet spaghetti up a cat’s arse

😆 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Vulcan Tour 27 – 28 June’ is closed to new replies.