Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Vulcan Tour 27 – 28 June
  • franksinatra

Anyone know anything more about this? I see that they are doing a fly past at Carlisle then onto East Fortune. I live halfway between the two and trying to work out timings, route and altitude so I know whether or not I need to travel to see it or will it just fly over my house.

Thanks

Northwind

Looks like they’re going to post times and routes on the website closer to the day. Probably not totally helpful, at this point! It flew more or less over my house last time it was up here, cooler seeing it in the wild than in captivity I thought.

scuttler

I created a twitbag account for the purpose primarily of tracking the vulcan. It’s the best source of live and emerging info because as an antique things don’t always go to plan.

CountZero

She put on a fantastic show at Weston on Sunday, looks like they’ve decided that, as she’s being retired, there’s no point holding back on the throttles to spare the engines, so there was a decent amount of good steep climb-outs, banks, and the Vulcan Howl. 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

From newsletter email just received –

Both sorties are planned to depart from Robin Hood, Doncaster at 1300 (1pm) local time.

Here are the approximate times at each location and the order of flight on each day.

SAT 27th JUNE (All times local BST) SUN 28th JUNE (All times local BST)
    Doncaster Airport T/O 1300 Doncaster Airport T/O 1300
    Elvington 1310 Bruntingthorpe 1317
    Scarborough 1323 Coventry 1325
    Sunderland Museum 1343 Wellesbourne 1334
    East Fortune 1408 RAF Museum Hendon 1400
    Carlisle Airport 1423 Duxford 1408
    Manchester-Barton 1500 Southend Airport 1426
    Woodford 1509 Norwich Airport 1453
    Newark Museum 1545 RAF Marham 1505
    Doncaster Airport 1558 RAF Waddington 1525
    Land 1605 Doncaster Airport 1537
    Land 1542

Edit formatting gone to pot when pasted that but sure you can figure out that 2nd on eon each line is Sundays timings
    Think they are updating website on Friday with route map and more accurate timings

CHB

Hoping to see this saturday. Does anyone know the take off direction from Doncaster? I would either go and see it somewhere near Doncaster or somewhere near York. Any knowledge gratefully received? The fact it gets from Doncaster to Scarborough in 23 minutes means it will be moving at speed. (bit excited!!!).

budgierider67

Depends on the wind direction at he time.

flip
    Free Member

I believe its flying from Cosford to east midlands airport tomorrow over Cannock at 15.30

I’ll be watching

shredder
    Free Member

Hopefully see it from Helvellyn tomorrow win win 😀

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Looks like the camera’s going into work tomorrow and see if I can get to Woodford.

iain1775
    Free Member
    v8ninety

How do these things work then, are the waypoints just that, a quick bank and onto the next leg, or is there any loitering? And what sort of altitude does it travel at? I’m tempted to work being at one of the waypoints into my day tomorrow, but if it’s just for a glimpse, it wouldn’t really be worth it.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m going to head over to east miss airport tomorrow I think. Still can’t believe I’ve not seen it flying yet. Been to see it a couple of times and it’s not shown up for various reasons.
    Also just seen that its last scheduled display is at the victory show at Cosby which is literally a couple of miles up the road from me. It’s been there before and done simulated low level bomb runs and all sorts of stuff. It’s one of the place I’ve been to see it and it’s not arrived. Hopefully it will make it this year. You can watch the display from the public park in Cosby as its right next to the event. They have brilliant air displays.

doh
    Free Member

The flight plan has it passing my house if it sticks to a dead straight line between places. Even with the slight chance of it being low I’ll be waiting on a local hilltop tomorrow afternoon

CHB

doh….where is that? We are all after places to view this magnificent aircraft!

doh
    Free Member

According to Flight plan up there ^ it’s passing by Melrose about 14:10-14:15 I’ll be up one of the eildons hoping for a good view.

binners

We’re heading up to the top of winter hill to watch it come over. Should’ve an ideal vantage point

midlifecrashes

For CHB:

Locals at Doncaster either view from the runway end at High Common Lane off the A638 Bawtry Road, or more from the side of the runway oppposite the terminal buildings. You can get at this either from an access road at the roundabout on High Common Lane or the other end coming down Old Bawtry Road in Finningley village. (They don’t meet in the middle for cars but you can walk or bike it.)It will get busy so I’d recommend parking up a mile or two away and biking, or just bike here, takes about half an hour from town.

Depending on wind and where they’re heading, it takes off north to south more often, so with it using only a third of the runway, folks at the southern runway end only get a distant view as she banks away eastward after takeoff. If they do it the other way round you can stand at the fence and feel the engine blast and taste the fuel, which is nice.

With there being a display planned, there might be more stuff than usual at the passenger terminal, there is a Vulcan shop, a viewing gallery and a resturant with runway views, none of which requires a boarding pass.

CHB

Thanks!

lowey

Just off out in about an hour to try and see it come over the Moors above Belmont.

ourmaninthenorth

Am also going to head up to either Rivington or Belmont direction – anyone worked out the expected fly past time?

Gary_C

^^^ 14:23 over Carlisle airport, 15:00 over Barton, so I reckon 14:50? over Belmont/Winter Hill.

Going to have a ride over Darwen Tower & Lions Den shortly, so hopefully I’ll see it.

v8ninety

Just arrived at Cosford in time to get an impromptu display from a hurricane! Nice! (Is it weird to litterally get goosebumps from the sound of a plane flying over?)

P20

From Sunderland

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vghjmB]DSC_0183-1[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uYnUEs]DSC_0232-1[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

ourmaninthenorth

Fleeting glimpse at Winter Hill. Amazing!

scaled
    Free Member

Just gone over bruntwood park in stockport

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Was in Woodford to see this wonderous dot in the distance, not all bad news as I got to hear it from behind some trees.
    Underwhelmed. 🙁

Bunnyhop

Weve just cycled back from Lyme park, where we had amazing views.
    Watched it circle Broughton, then Barton, did a low flyover Manchester airport, coming low over Alderley Edge, banking Woodford and off towards the Midlands. Brilliant!
    A little boy shouts has it got bombs on dad?

Mr_C
    Free Member

Took my completely uninterested daughter to see it at Newark Air Museum. Quite sad to realise that I may never again hear that magnificent roar from the 4 Olympus engines as it points it’s nose skyward and gives it all the beans.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uYUaDe]Vulcan1[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uYLUNq]Vulcan2[/url], on Flickr

midlifecrashes

Just a quick pootle down to Doncaster for me today. Must make a proper show this year.

Plenty with the same idea as me though.

And a big thanks to the guy who let me stand on his Ducato to keep the fence out of most the pics.

Haven’t had time to sort out the pics yet, but they’re all here:
    http://s11.photobucket.com/user/midlifecrashes/library/Vulcan-DSA-27-6-15

CHB

Had a really good viewing spot for the take off and landing today!
    The landing was by far the best, she did a few passes before landing. Stunning!

v8ninety

Wonderful mini display at Cosford, literally spine tingling. And the finale climb out and roll were spectacular. Set of several car alarms, too…

br
    Free Member

Hopefully you got a good view Frank, based on where it was over us it must have pretty much come straight over your house 🙂

franksinatra

I headed up the Eildons, cracking view, i was dead chuffed.

slowoldman

Was in Woodford to see this wonderous dot in the distance, not all bad news as I got to hear it from behind some trees.
    Underwhelmed.

You should have walked down to Avro golf course with everyone else. She flew right over our heads. Mrs. Oldman was strangely moved by the experience. Huge thanks to the lovely lady who invited us to park on her drive in Woodford. You are a star Ma’am.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Earlier we were out on the mountainbikes doing a loop from Rivi to the rocketship above Darwen,on the way back as we were on the dam wall at Roddlesworth reservoir,the Vulcan made an appearance.I guess that’s the last time we’ll see it in flight 😥

Bregante

Managed to get a decent view from the M62 near Barton Airfield earlier. The sound was impressive.

[video]https://youtu.be/_8ueUVdE9JE[/video]

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You should have walked down to Avro golf course with everyone else. She flew right over our heads. Mrs. Oldman was strangely moved by the experience. Huge thanks to the lovely lady who invited us to park on her drive in Woodford. You are a star Ma’am.

I should have followed my instinct and headed for Adlingtom Ind Est as was the original plan, but the traffic heading into Poynton was typically a nightmare. Not to worry, I had my aircraft desires satisfied many years ago at Lyneham and Binbrook.

crazy-legs

I guess that’s the last time we’ll see it in flight ?

It’s doing another half dozen displays this year at least. Flight certification expires in autumn. Have a look at the Vulcan to the Sky website.
    The second half of its V Tour is today.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Vulcan Tour 27 – 28 June’ is closed to new replies.