Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 261 total)
  • Vorsprung Luftkappe
  • poah
    Free Member

I’m not even yanking the geese hard either 🙁

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I think you made the right move keeping the pressure the same and running more sag. It’s taken me quite a few rides and some arm pump on Welsh uplifts to come to the same conclusion! Rocks make suspension tuning much easier…

Hes running the same sag and more pressuure though? I dont thinking running more sag would improve the midstroke – probably make it worse due to the larger negative spring pulling the fork into its travel more easily.

poah
    Free Member

Same pressure which gives more sag

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m wondering if the luftkappe coupled with an andreani piston kit would be a sweet mix for heavy riders?

Although I personally think the andreani kit is expensive for what you get.

Anybody used polishedracing? One of my mates is good mates with these guys and recommends them, who recommended the Andreani kit.

Edit just seen this on polishedracings FB page.

https://m.facebook.com/POLISHEDRACINGLTD/photos/a.1234066439953722.1073741828.1191496280877405/1675089179184777/?type=3&source=54

bruneep

non mobile link

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Had a proper run out yesterday at comrie croft. etc

Properly awesome day there yesterday, nice and dusty!

Decent chance our paths crossed, I was the guy on a black Process.

No sign of any geese where I was, there were a few ducks* though 😀

*Both actual and trouser

poah
    Free Member

black suppressor with a coil and my son was on a ripcord. Think I saw a black one at the picnic area.

fathomer

Just ordered one of these though I think it’s on back order unfortunately.

Regarding the Loctite, I’ve got some of the lipstick type 248 blue, will this be sufficient or will buying some of the red 272 be better?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sam, buddy of mine is a mechanic for top EWS team, he’s fitted these in all their bikes, reckons you need a heat gun to get the area bonded nice and warm first.

I’ve yet to ask him why… Just thought I’d let ye know!

fathomer

Ta, I was planning on whacking it in a pan of boiling water for 10mins to hopefully loosen it off. It’s the Loctite thing I’m a little worried about.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have some 272, I’m sure I have, a big massive bottle. I’ll check tonight, I could decant some into a wee dropper bottle if you need some, no probs…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I used 248 – zero kitten fatalities yet – I’m having the fork apart soon to service it so I’ll check it, but I doubt it’ll come loose, there’s no rotational forces acting on it – I suspect you’d get away with putting it in dry.

Yes to the boiling water, Mrs hairdryer did little really.

colp

The 2 I have done came off easily, no heating up etc, just a decent T Allen key.
    I just used whatever threadlock I had, can’t see how it would unscrew.

fathomer

Cheers chaps and for kind offer NoBeer.

I’ll wing it with the 248 and make sure it’s pretty tight, though I have found a bottle of 272 for £6 on ebay.

SirHC

Fitted a Luftkappe to my 29er pikes last night, initial thoughts that they feel a little more sensitive at the top of the stroke and ramp up nicely, proper test on Wednesday.

Servicing a mates forks last night and pulling the air shaft out revealed the following modification done by a suspension tuning company, simple, but only gaining a little extra negative volume.

otsdr
    Free Member

That modification would only work on a dual air fork – on solo air the ratio between the +/- chambers is dictated by the position of the dimple inside the stanchion; the only way to increase the negative is with a hollow hat-shaped piston, like the Luftkappe.

bruneep

Serviced Lyriks back from TFT. One of the comments was Modified the luftkappe to reduce stickiness.

Anyone know what this modification would be?

dingus
    Free Member

Servicing a mates forks last night and pulling the air shaft out revealed the following modification done by a suspension tuning company, simple, but only gaining a little extra negative volume.

I did a similar mod to a Revelation to lower it for use on a jump bike recently which resulted in the piston not passing the dimple as intended and a rock hard beginning stroke due to a lack of pressure in the negative air chamber. Not ideal.

prezet
    Free Member

Just checking why folk at using the Loctite 272 rather than the 271 mentioned in their install video?

I’ve just received my kit. Was going to fit it this weekend till I saw in the video about using this type of thread locker.

poah
    Free Member

I used nail polish does the same job.

thered

Wow! The bolt on my air shaft had so much loctite on it that it was all down the threads of the air shaft and had run most of the way down the inside too.

4 cups of boiling water and one set of mole grips later and it’s finally out but wrecked.

The bolt came out of my spare air shaft dead easy after 5 min’s in water.

How annoying.

SirHC

dingus – Member

I did a similar mod to a Revelation to lower it for use on a jump bike recently which resulted in the piston not passing the dimple as intended and a rock hard beginning stroke due to a lack of pressure in the negative air chamber. Not ideal.[/quote]

I checked the number of O-rings and it came out exactly the same as the conical rubber spacer. Forks feel fine and no reports of any issues with them.

I tried spacing down a set of dual position revs, in the end I chucked the air assembly away and fitted a u-turn coil spring.

DrP

I’ve just orderd one of these to – I’m really happy with my pikes (they are GREAT forks!) but I’ma serial fettler (snarf snarf) so though I’d have a play to see what difference it makes…
    Having more sensitive small bump response with less dive and more mid stroke will make the forks incredible!
    Plus, it’ll be a chance to take something apart!

I’m under 70kg (slimming up for summer!) so I think it’ll help me on that front…

It’s on a HT, so all this may be superfluous ot the fact I’ve no rear bounce, but hey ho!!

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have one coming too, even though I quite like the way my pikes work on the Bronson, I’m keen to see what difference the LK makes…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Got one on the way for my Yari’s too.

I figured that for £60 I’d pop it in whilst I’m reducing the travel. On paper it should get air forks closer to how I want them, with a nice soft initial stroke for the chatter etc. So far all of the forks I’ve had have been a compromise between suppleness and not blowing through the travel.

DrP

The funny thing is, the Pikes really do seem great at the mo – they DO move well over the chattery stuff, so I’ll see how the respond to the lufthansa in terms of mid stroke..

Really, I just wanted to try it..hope I don’t mess up teh install!!

DrP

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll see how the respond to the lufthansa in terms of mid stroke

I reckon you’ll be flying mate.

Saw a review on PB, will probably give it a try myself when it’s service time for my Pike & Lyrik…
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/vorsprung-luftkappe-review.html

Bagstard
    Free Member

Being able to take the tokens out made a real difference for me, reduced arm pump to nothing.

BoardinBob

Agreed.

I got mine fitted at TF recently. Bizarrely I sent it to them with 2 tokens fitted. They sent it back with the Luftkappe plus 3 tokens!

Felt awful. Really bad arm pump which I never get. Switched it to 1 token with the pressure set for 30% sag. Feels fantastic. Such a difference.

joefm

Had it in for one ride now. Installed it at same time as increasing travel to 160mm and It’s pretty much what I wanted.

Pikes always seem to stay well into travel when pointing down so I was running 3 tokens and way more pressure than I should. But this ruined the sensitivity and my arms would be feeling it by the end of the run.

The Luftkappe seems to increase support so less diving and increase sensitivity. So doing what it says but was hoping for slightly more support. Worth the money.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Fitted my Luftkappe and 140mm airshaft to my Yari’s this week.

Still trying to figure the set up out; TF recomended two tokens plus more air, but the ramp up was nuts and the forks felft awful. Took out one token and started with 105psi but even like this the ramp up was quite severe so I gradually reduced the pressure whilst riding last nigh to 90psi. This gives 26% sag.

At the moment the set up goes against the general advice of more pressure.

I think I’m going to go for a higher pressure and no tokens on Sunday to see how that feels.

The breakaway is nice and soft though and they forks don’t bottom out like my 350’s did (they were always too much of a balancing act between sensitivity and resistance to bottoming out even with 15ml extra oil in the air chamber).

bruneep

no tokens and 65psi in my Lyriks

chiefgrooveguru

Apparently the damper in the Yari causes a lot more spring ramp up than the one in the Pike and Lyrik.

Bagstard
    Free Member

No tokens and plent air pressure for me.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Apparently the damper in the Yari causes a lot more spring ramp up than the one in the Pike and Lyrik.

Possibly – mine ramped up like mofo’s with two tokens in. Probably great if you’re a proper sender.There’s a strong ramp up with just a single token.

Has anyone cut down a token? Just wondering if it’s possible in case one is too much and none is too linear.

frogstomp

Just got mine through and looking forward to getting it fitted over the weekend.

minmap3 – are you adding air gradually and cycling the fork as per the instructions?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Yup adding air bit my bit and cycling the forks – you can hear the two chambers equalising when you do.

Maybe out scales are out of whack and I’m not as far as they say I am?

BoardinBob

Has anyone cut down a token? Just wondering if it’s possible in case one is too much and none is too linear.

Or buy the Rampcart

russyh
    Free Member

Can you fit a ramp cartridge with a luftkappe?? Didn’t think you could in some cases?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Can you fit a ramp cartridge with a luftkappe?? Didn’t think you could in some cases?

It depends on the travel – I could at 140mm but thought I’d give the Luftkappe a whirl first as its half the price.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘Vorsprung Luftkappe’ is closed to new replies.