Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 261 total)
  • Vorsprung Luftkappe
  • poah
    Free Member

anyone else ordered one?

mine has been despatched by TFtuned today, looking forward to see the difference. My pike has been completely overshadowed by the CCDB IL.

otsdr
    Free Member

Won’t the Luftkappe be overshadowed by the (unavoidable) switch to the much improved DB AIR [IL]?

chiefgrooveguru

I was just about to order one of these direct from Vorsprung! Need some bushes for my DBair too. The Pike has always felt good but never as awesome as the Spitfire’s back end with progressive leverage curve plus DBair, which seems almost magical.

russyh
    Free Member

Been toying with ordering one, but holding off currently as I may be upgrading to some 36’s

poah
    Free Member

otsdr – Member

Won’t the Luftkappe be overshadowed by the (unavoidable) switch to the much improved

I had the original inline and it was good but no where near as good as a coil is, can’t see the newer larger negative spring making it better than the coil IL.

singlespeedstu

Let us know what you think when you’ve got it installed.

antares
    Free Member

Just ordered one this afternoon from TF
    Looking at the installation video I’m gonna need some Loctite 272. Anyone know where I can get a small amount rather than a 50ml bottle at £30 plus?

poah
    Free Member

I’ll be using nail polish

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Mine was dispatch today too, my new lyrik is an improvement over the pike I had before but liked the idea behind this and hope it keeps up with the amazing ccbd air.
    Anyone need the 10mm shaft clamp after I’ve done mine?

antares
    Free Member

I’ll be using nail polish

I will then 🙂

poah
    Free Member

Going to try inner tubes in a vice first. £20 for the clamp was too excessive

colp

I got 2 directly from Canada, will fit them later this week.
    I didn’t order the shaft clamp but hopefully this will do the trick.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

The golf thing looks a good idea, I got a split 10mm shaft clamp from a machine shop for £4

bruneep

Educate me, what are the benefits?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Wad all set to order one, then saw the install vid and was put off a bit, it’s a bit more in depth than it seemed when they first announced it. TF will fit it as part of a service so I might wait until they’re due or have another think when I’ve got my workshop finished.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@Bruneep if you cut the blurb back the the core it’s small bump / high speed plushness without having to run tonnes of sag.

otsdr
    Free Member

I kind of did the same thing on a Reba using a Novyparts piston kit, seems to work as advertised.

bruneep

Good lord confused now, so many options for “upgrading” forks kinda hard to know whats what and what does what, what the benefits are

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well if your RS fork knocks it’s arse off on rock gardens and stuff, it’s meant to cure that too.

bruneep

Have new Lyriks which feel “fine” but will be sent for service/upgrade prior to holiday.

Just trying to get head round whats available to me.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

fitted mine just before christmas and it’s good. It pretty much does what it says on the tin. It stops the fork diving through the mid travel till you hit the ramp up point created by the bottomless tokens if that makes sense? It seems to start to slow down your rate of compression sooner in the travel but the first bit of travel is still really plush. I was running 3 tokens and 90psi on 160mm Lyriks on an Enduro 29’er and I’m now running 1 token and 100 psi, I weigh about 13 1/2 stone at the moment.

poah
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    Wad all set to order one, then saw the install vid and was put off a bit, it’s a bit more in depth than it seemed when they first announced it. TF will fit it as part of a service so I might wait until they’re due or have another think when I’ve got my workshop finished.

Must have watched a different video to me then. All you do is remove air shaft, undo piston, put luftkappe on then replace without the top out bumper.

legend
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

It’s another thing to make modern suspension more “coil-like” instead of just doing the sensible thing and fitting a coil spring

poah
    Free Member

the coil like thing is just advertisment babble. thats certainly not the reason I’ve bought it.

bruneep – Member

it changes the air spring mecahnics in the same way as the debonair, EVOL and the Vorsprung Corset do for rear shocks. The larger negative spring makes the initial break away force less while it beefs up the mid stroke and provides ramp up at the end.

If you use tokens then you’ll benifit from it as tokens affect the force required to move the piston from the start.

Stock Pike: 70psi, 2 tokens. Initial spring rate 88lbs/in, dropping to 25lbs/in (lowest point) by about 1/3 stroke.

Luftkappe: 77psi, 0 tokens. Initial spring rate 59lbs/in, dropping to 30lbs/in (lowest point, also around 1/3 stroke)

P-Jay
    Free Member

poah – Member

P-Jay – Member

Must have watched a different video to me then. All you do is remove air shaft, undo piston, put luftkappe on then replace without the top out bumper.

Probably the same video – the very first blurb that they put out read just like your post – started with “all you do” followed by a few simple sounding words – bish, bash bosch, sounds easy, your Mum could do it – etc then the vid starts talking about clamping shafts, tight but not too tight because either way you’ll destroy it, heating it if it doesn’t play ball etc. It’s not Rocket Surgery, but it’s not fitting a new pair of pedals either, so at the rish of repeating myself – I’ll wait until I’ve finsihed my workshop, then I’ll have a clamp to use, because you can’t do it without one.

poah
    Free Member

The cost of getting TFtuned to do it during a service is an extra couple of quid. I did think about waiting till my fork gets a full service in march along with the fast suspension upgrade but it is actually pretty easy to do (I’ve swapped a couple of air shafts already) that and I couldn wait lol

poah
    Free Member

got mine fitted eventually, getting the bolt off the the shaft was a right pain. If I have to do it again I’ll get the shaft clamp.

not tested it yet though.

singlespeedstu

So how did you clamp the shaft in the end?

poah
    Free Member

innertubes

downhilldave

Just ordered mine, complete with clamp. Lets see how long it takes to get to Spain.

antares
    Free Member

Poah did you just use brute force to undo the bolt or did you heat it up at all to ease the Loctite?

colp

Here’s a picture of the £2 golf clamp on Ebay I’ve got, should do the trick.

poah
    Free Member

let it soak for a bit in hot water, there was a shit load of it on the threads

antares
    Free Member

Cheers Poah. I was planning on the inner tube method myself but for £2 I think I’ll order one of those colp. Cheers for the link.

poah
    Free Member

I ordered one as well

bruneep

Poah tested yet?

poah
    Free Member

no cause I’ve got an air leak ha ha ha ha – must have knicked a seal. need to take it apart again 🙁

poah
    Free Member

a cheaper alternative to the £20 vorsprung clamp

Park Tool Axle Vice AV1

zelak999
    Free Member

Had a couple of rides with mine in a pair of 150 pikes.
    Loads more mid stroke support than with the previous set up but at the same psi.
    Might try taking out the last token too as it’s impossible to bottom the forks at the moment.
    So far so good.

rickon
    Free Member

Good lord confused now, so many options for “upgrading” forks kinda hard to know whats what and what does what, what the benefits are

The benefits are: You’ll think your fork feels *amazing* on the first ride. Then, you’ll forget all about the upgrade, until the next upgrade comes along – then it’ll feel rubbish again and will only feel better once you’ve fitted the new upgrade.

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘Vorsprung Luftkappe’ is closed to new replies.