Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 261 total)
  • Vorsprung Luftkappe
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

At 95kg I am running 100psi in a 160mm Yari with no tokens and it feels great. I would experiment with a little more air before reaching for tokens.

Scamper
    Free Member

Debating if to get this upgrade on my 160 Yari as it’s so cheap. To be fair being 15 stone, plenty of support in a stock Yari for me with two tokens. They also are pretty plush on slow trail stuff and I don’t need to run more than 1 click of LSC. Hoping the upgrade will make things a little plusher on small to medium hits (general fast trail chatter).

SOAP
    Free Member

Anyone else’s fork making more rebound whoosh noise ?
    They also seem to be sucked down 10mm into the travel.
    Not sure it’s made a massive difference to my 160mm Lyriks as they were good before I had it fitted.
    60psi and 3 tokens before
    75psi and 1 token after
    Still trying to get the setup right tho

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Possibly grease blocking wee transfer port? Common with pikes, not sure about lyriks though.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Mine suck down about 9mm too, but I have included the lost 9mm when setting sag and they ride really well. Since they ride higher in the travel now it ia a non issue, not noticed any noise though.

prezet
    Free Member

Finally got around to fitting mine at the weekend. Simple 20 minute job. Was running 65psi and one token before with zero tokens after. However I’ve had to stay at 65psi to keep the sag at 30%.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve still got the full 140mm travel – although there’s not much spare stanchion when they bottom out. Adding the air bit by bit and pushing down slightly to allow the chambers to balance seems to ensure any travel loss in minimised.

Rode mine again yesterday – no tokens, 100psi and two clicks of LSC and they felt really good. This gives me 21/22% of sag. I found I was using more of the travel yesterday but not quite bottoming out.

Given my general dislike of Rock Shox forks, I’ve been impressed with the Yari’s and Luftkappe so far.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Did the old cable tie down the seals trick on both sides and got my missing travel back.

chiefgrooveguru

So I’ve Luftkappe’d both my bikes and it did take a while to hone in on the best set-up for me but I’m always quite fussy about fork set-up. Both bikes have Pikes. On the hardtail I was running 140mm with 2 tokens and 15-20% sag. On the full-sus 150mm with 1 token and 15-20% sag. I’ve previously had the hardtail at 130mm with 3 tokens and the full-sus at 160mm with 0, 1 & 2 tokens and sag everywhere from 10-30%.

As recommended I started out with slightly higher pressures post-Luftkappe and thus similar sag. I removed both tokens from the hardtail and left the full-sis with none. Felt pretty good on the hardtail but once I got the full-sus onto some rocky trails they were too harsh and I had about 40mm of travel left after some fast rough descents.

Since then I’ve gradually lowered the pressures on both and taken the forks out another 10mm in travel, so 150 on the Zero AM and 160 on the Spitfire. I’m now running about 25% sag on both forks – they feel very plush initially but nice and firm in the midstroke – normally with a Pike you can’t have both, either being plush but soft or firm but harsh. I’m only getting full travel when hucking the hardtail or screwing up on the full-sus but I’m getting to use most of the travel frequently, which feels like a good balance. The 10mm of extra travel cancels out the extra 5-10% of sag to keep the sagged geometry about the same (the geometry when riding hard is probably slacker due to the extra midstroke support).

Definitely worth adding a Luftkappe when doing a service, especially if you already have 2+ tokens in (easier to find your set-up if you’re already used to that much progression on the spring). If you’re less of a shredder or like your fork more linear feeling then you may need to run more sag to get a good feel.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fitted a Luftkappe tonight, as well as taking the fork from 150 up to 160mm with a new air shaft. Test it out tomorrow on a nice big lumpy day, and report back.

ehrob

How is everyone getting on with these compared to without them? Got one on back order for my 150mm 27.5 Pike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 rides on it now, though tbf the first one I mentioned in my previous post wasn’t much of a ride, was more walking my bike along unrideable ridges for a day, in the rain and howling wind..

Anyhow, Noticeably better in the initial first maybe 20mm of travel, best described as having lost it’s kinda stiction type feel. In terms of support, aye, defo seemed better, but it was really most noticeable when I took my other bike out last night, which also has a pike fitted, sans Luftkappe.

The lack of support and dive was far more apparent than I’ve ever noticed before.

I’ve a bit of fettling to do with the Pike that has the Luft fitted, as I also fitted a 160mm airshaft in there as well at the same time. I may reduce the air a little.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I been running mine for a few months now,had it fitted by TF during a service also upped the the travel to 160mm at the same time, I ran the higher pressure recommended by TF for quite a while , approx 95 PSI no tokens (I was running 85psi, no tokens), although felt great at times when things got really rough you could really feel it,dropped it back 5 psi until I was in my happy place again, Ive now settled back to around 85psi again but running a lot less LSC but still feel pretty supportive despite dropping the pressure.Still a worthy upgrade imo 🙂

poah
    Free Member

With the stock pike my bike felt unbalanced with the coil shock. Afterfitting the luftkappe it was more balanced. However, I still found the pike overly damped in high speed hits. I replaced the pike with a mattoc pro with an IRT and it’s much better that the stock pike and better than the pike with luftkappe.

DrP

I’ve don an ‘ickle blog of the fitting process..

..if you’re interested!

Not ridden it yet as last night the wife was out, and kids in bed, so it was “red wine and fettle night” for DrP!!!

DrP

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I just installed one of these into my 160mm Pike on my Capra,took the bike out for a quick ‘urban’ style test and really like what I’m feeling so far. Definately softer and easier to get moving into travel over smaller bumps and what I really like is now being able to run more pressure the end front of the bike is much easier to energize off the now more responsive and supportive feeling mid stroke and pop up for bunny hops etc etc .
    I’ve gone from around 170psi with 2 tokens to 180 psi with none achieving around 25% sag.

Early days but I’m really impressed so far.

russyh
    Free Member

Do you mean 70 and 80psi?? 180 sounds an awful lot for a fork!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

180? Really?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Yeah good spot guys,bathing in my freshly aquired Luftkappe enthused RADness I did indeed add an extra digit -that digit is ‘1’ before you ask 🙂

DrP

Went of r aride last night on my newly lufwaffere’d forks…

Really good..very supple in the first few cm of travel, but feel firmer mid stroke.
    I normally lock (or at least mid click ) the RCT3 dial when climbing – didn’t feel I needed to.

Plus in the singletrack and over jumps the forks just felt ‘better’ – hard to explain, but lovely!
    Well worth it!

DrP

uberscott

I’ve had a Luftkappe installed for a few weeks now – so far so (very) good. Noticeable reduction in chatter over the small stuff. Haven’t really had much opportunity to test larger hits but I’m off to Morzine on Saturday so will report back on how that goes!

bigfoot
    Free Member

fitted mine today, not had chance to get out and test it yet. is it right that i can lift the wheel of the ground and then push the wheel down untill the fork tops out with a clunk? it takes a little pressure to make it clunk but i had just assumed the pneumatic top out would prevent that.
    pumped it up as per intructions and have full travel its just when i push it down past full travel where the old top out bumper would of stopped it.

mahalo

I wanna get one, and I also wanna increase my travel with a longer air shaft. is there somehere that can do the whole job in one hit?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, you.

I did mine a few weeks back, it’s really not a tough job at all, watch the vids for both a couple of times, and take your time.

prezet
    Free Member

I concur about taking your time and watch the video a few times. I had a first crack at it but missed the bit about putting the fork back together fully extended. Instead I accidentally ended up creating a negative air chamber and the fork sucked slightly down into it’s travel. Took the fork apart, and put it back together exactly as per the video and all was good.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I wanna get one, and I also wanna increase my travel with a longer air shaft. is there somehere that can do the whole job in one hit?

I got TfTuned to fit luftkappe & 160mm air shaft when I sent them down for a service.

russyh
    Free Member

Finally got around to ordering the Luftkappe. Now scratching my head around Locktite, nailvarnish or other thread lock. Is the blue stick 248 OK to use? i can nip in to Halfords and grab that easy enough

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I didn’t bother tbh.

kimbers

I used this

https://www.granvilleoil.com/prodInfo?pID=151

4 quid from halfords, had mine in for 6 months or so, not exploded yet

fathomer

I used some from a blue stick, could well have 248, I can’t remember. It was all I had and been going strong for a good few months.

russyh
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, will go with whatever is easily to hand.

russyh
    Free Member

All fitted, removing the old piston was a ball ache even with the golf grip clamp. In the end careful wrapping with an inner tube and a hair dryer sorted it. First ride tomorrow, removed all tokens and kept same PSI to set a base setting to work from

russyh
    Free Member

Well I got to say, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Small bump sensitivy massively improved over standard pikes, seems like more mid travel support and a nice ramp up even without tokens. Well chuffed, looking forward to playing with tokens and air pressure now to see how good I can make them

P-Jay
    Free Member

Still loving mine.

Stripped my fork for a service a little while ago – Kappe still safety in place and tight, used the blue glue stick.

Been running a single token, going to try token-less as soon as I can find the time to whip it out.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I still like mine too-I’ve found I have to run a fair bit more pressure though, to keep the front end ride height to where it was prior to fitting it.
    I’ve gone from around 70 to 90 psi (160 pikes) to regain a standing sag of around 25%

mahalo

I would like to try one, but i really dont want to be without my fork for a week or so when i inevitably phuckitup, nor be without it while its in transit to TF or wherever – Does anyone know of a good LBS that will sort it, either in Greater Manchester or Surrey area….

chiefgrooveguru

I would like to try one, but i really dont want to be without my fork for a week or so when i inevitably phuckitup, nor be without it while its in transit to TF or wherever

TFtuned will collect it one day, service it the next, and you’ll have it back the next. Amazingly fast service!

mahalo

yeah thanks, but they want an extra £22 in courier fee’s, not to mention £158 to do the job!! i just wanna drop it in somewhere local and pick it a few hours later…

bruneep

Thats for a service as well as fitting the part, the courier needs to pay their staff as well. Is it really that expensive?

Its not a difficult job to do yourself if you follow the online videos.

chiefgrooveguru

My LBS did it along with a basic fork service. It was the first one they’d done so took them a bit of time but they didn’t charge much.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘Vorsprung Luftkappe’ is closed to new replies.