Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • volvo v50 – anyone got one?
  • petefromearth

Thinking of changing cars soon, and looking at the v50 drive models with the high mpg. Quoted figures are above 70 but does anyone have any real experience of actual use? Also as I’m in a liftshare I usually have 4 adults on board – what’s the space like in the back? Also carrying ability?

old_mtber
    Free Member

I have a V50 Drive SEL, the newer 6sp 115 ps model. You will be lucky to see the quoted mpg in UK driving conditions I’m afraid unless you have a very light right foot and switch off the aircon etc. Also the higher spec models have wider tyres which do not help. However I easily manage 55 mpg with a mixture of town and M/way driving, keeping the speed down to about 65 does wonders for overall consumption! There is not as much space in the back as a Ford Focus; but I can get 2 bikes with front wheels removed inside plus all the usual clobber with no trouble. Overall we are very pleased with this car and the bonus is that there is currently ZERO VEL to pay although I think the 5sp models were about £35.
    Email in profile if you want to chat about it.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I had an older 2.0D for six and a half years so cant comment on MPG on the newer engines. What I do know is that it’s tight for space in the rear if your 6’3″ in the front and if you have to move the seats forward in the front then it’s tight there too! My brother owns it now, his missus is several inches shorter than me and it looks like a limo in the back!

Carrying stuff – couldn;t get my huge bikes in easily without fron t wheel and seat off but with the safety neet up it held an impressive amount of stuff wedged into the boot and bizarrely actually rode better when stuffed to the gils with bikes hanging off the back. Most reliable car I’ve ever owned so was a pretty cheap ownership experience over nearly 150K.

passtherizla
    Free Member

if you can go for the V60 its a much better car… I had a V50 for a week test before finally ordering my passat. the boot is not that big for an estate, couldn’t get a bike in without taking both wheels a seat post out. don’t go for factory satnav its a pile of crap. in fact only the safety features make it attractive and they’ve lied about the MPG.

Avoid IMO

legend
    Free Member

Recently went to buy a V50, ended up walking away as the interior is starting to feel really dated. Also must be due for replacement soon, could be worth holding off

joolsburger
    Free Member

I had a V50 T5 for a couple of years.

Obviously I cant comment on the MPG because at the time it wasn’t high on my list.

They are small, surprisingly so but very comfortable never the less. Great seats, good equipment and well finished. Comforable on a long drive evn with the stiff suspension I had. Boot takes two bikes OK with he seats down but is snug.

No problems with reliability of any sort but quite stiff on the servicing costs.

I’d have one again.

nbt

>Also must be due for replacement soon
    the v60’s been out for a while

We’ve got a three year old one, so the engine’s the older version. the quoted MPG figures are wildyl optimistic, but on reasonable roads in town I’ve found that whapping it into 5th and using cruise control to stick at 30mph sees my consumption go from around 35 to around 45mpg.

Boot wise, with the seats down it’s fine to get bikes in with front wheels off, and we’ve had the tandem in the back albeit with both wheels off. We’ve even done 3 people and 3 bikes, had to remove seats from bikes for that one and wasn’t as easy as it was in the octavia estate – the boot on the v50 is noticeably smaller.

DrP

My sister just got a 12 plate v50 drive. Good offers on them at the mo as it’s now discontinued (whole v50 line).
    The only comment I can make at present is that it seemed nice and shiny!
    based on a focus floorplan IIRC?

DrP

ChrisA
    Free Member

Had one for 3 years as a company car and changed it in January.

The V50 was brilliant. I think everything has really been said above, but to add its the most reliable car I’ve had as a company car. Mine did 105,000 miles in 3 years, the only thing that went wrong was the air conditioning unit failed, but it’s a known weakness to Volvo because of its location behind the front grille.

I had the 2.0D R-Design and it was plenty fast enough. I’ve just changed it for a D5 XC60 R-Design. The one thing I would say is that I’ve found the Volvo dealers to be brilliant help wise.

I had a set of Thule roof bars on mine, and I have the thule v50 fitting kit and foot pack for the bars spare now if anyone is interested in buying them? All you’d need are the square or aero bars to suit.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’ve got a 57 plate 1.6D (slightly older equivalent of drive-badged engine but still as economical). 55mpg with climate control on all the time and 70mph or less. Very quiet, has a luxury/quality feel throughout. Very pleased with it. Just keep the DPF fluid topped up as and when required (acc. to service schedule) and try to get out on open roads as much as possible, else the DPF will clog and fail (£800 to replace ouch).

lee93
    Free Member

The volvo v50 is good car I work for Volvo in Carlisle( just a valeter) the r-design has the looks it’s got bigger boot space then the new v60 but the v60 has better interior more upto date!
    The v50 and s40 are no more in production so now it’s the v60 – s60 – v70 -then you go to the Xc models 60-70-90
    There’s a new model coming out which is a all new v40 but again it looks small as in boot space
    I don’t think I’d want to put the bikes in the back of any car really I’d fit a towbar or roof rack!
    Judging the mpg they aren’t going to reach high 60s but the v60 1.6 petrol gets a good 55mpg motorway driving
    V50s have trouble with the air condenser unit as there located up front next to radiator this usually means a new unit utter than that they are a good car realy bit on the pricey side of things and I’d stay away from the earlier ones from 51 up to about 05

crotchrocket
    Free Member

i got a ’11’plate v50 d3, 50mpg is possible on a run – but apparently it gets better after the 1st service (becomes due around 20K miles).
    2 bikes inside with front wheels off & seats down. no bother.
    put 2 bikes on the roof & the 50mpg drops to 33mpg.

one of my colleagues has a 3 series (the low emission one) and does get 60mpg from it.

HTH

benz
    Free Member

Drove the XC60 Drive and V60 Drive R-Design last weekend.

XC60 was ok but not much fun to drive. V60 just felt a bit more special. However different cars. V60 not a huge amount of room, so reckon you’d need a towbar plus bike carrier.

Reckon the V60 D5 R-Design would be a hoot…

Not answered your question, but believe the V50 has slightly larger boot than the V60 but smaller than the XC60.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

the d5 is a thirsty bugger tho. a buddy has that unit in a v50 & gets 30mpg when he’s being gentle with it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘volvo v50 – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.