Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Vitamin D deficient and broken leg
  • RichJJ
    Free Member

I broke my Femur a few weeks ago whilst running a Half Marathon. The doctor said that is was most likely a stress fracture and as I continued for the remaining 6 miles that explained why it broke. As I’d had no previous pain I was a bit concerned as to why, particularly as I’ve come off the bike often enough and only ever cracked a rib previously. I went to the GP to discuss as I don’t want to sit round for the next 3 months doing nothing and then do it again. To pacify me more than anything he did a number of blood tests which showed a Vitamin D deficiency which I gather is not uncommon. The minimum level should be 75 and mine was 29. I am on tablets for 12 weeks and then another blood test after that. Twice I asked if this was a likely cause of the fracture and was told no. Doing some research on it though would suggest that it does. If it does then great, pills, oily fish, a few eggs and plenty of sunshine and I’ll be indestructible !! But I wondered if anyone had any experience of this ? Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

NO…but stress fractures can relate to overtraining, no?

Northwind

Have they looked at any other conditions? Vit d deficiency’s pretty common but it’s also an indicator for coeliac disease, and shares some common causes with calcium deficiency… And cycling by itself is also linked to osteoperosis.

I wouldn’t say to worry, but it might be worth raising.

meehaja
    Free Member

Thing is, if you’re looking for a link you will find one with everything. Vit D deficiancy can cause weakness in the bones, but to be fair, breaking your femur is a pretty big deal, if you had weak bones something smaller would have gone first?

Northwind

Well… using me as an example, no 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Doing some research on it though would suggest that it does.

Google research? Are you pregnant too? 😉

RichJJ
    Free Member

😀 Nope, not pregnant. Not an armchair doctor either !! Doc gave me a website to look up fracture recovery when I saw him last (patient.co.uk) so had a look on there when I came back today.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Can happen to anyone at any time.

Overtraining is just one of the factors.

Cyclists suffer from acidosis and lower bone density.

wwaswas

Ask for a bone density scan. I had one after a femoral neck fracture and it turned out my bone density was ok for a 75 year old woman. I was a 35 year old bloke.

RichJJ
    Free Member

If I go back to the doc and ask for a bone density scan am I going to look like a bit of a hypochondriac ? or should he have considered that already based on the fact that my leg broke without any prior pain or problems whilst running in a straight line ? I’m not so much worried about the fact that my leg broke, but more the fact that if it happens again I am going to have major problems at work as I need to drive every day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Vitamin D deficient and broken leg’ is closed to new replies.