Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Virgin Media – Good or bad?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Got the TV, broad band and phone package.

TV contract was meant to be XL but came through as M+ so no TV recording or pausing live TV. Wait a week for new bloke to deliver the new box.

Broadband wireless couldn’t be picked up except in the room with the hub. 40 minutes pressing various options and talking to various people before a very polite woman logged onto the Hub and changed a load of settings which should have been done as part of the install.

Todays I was without internet access for 2 hours. This happened at 4:30 when I had to deliver my presentation via the internet at 5:30 which doesn’t look good for the new job. Woman logs on to the modem and tells me it is fine. I explain the wireless signal is fine but local access only. Engineer due out tomorrow. wait 2 hours and it is all working again.

Some bad admin regarding the TV but is their general service better worse or indifferent to BT and Sky?

wwaswas

I’ve not had problems with them over the past 5 years. We did go through a period of the tv boxes blowign a fuse but they changed models.

They’ve always been out within a day or two to fix them.

Internet has been lost possibly 3 times int he 3 years I’ve worked at home for no more than an hour or two at a time.

I used to use my mobile as a tethered broadband thingy as a back up – if you’re lookign to use it for work I’d recommend a broadband dongle as a backup to any home network/internet connection you might have.

SaxonRider

I have had nothing but good experiences with Virgin Media. Contrary to all the horror stories I have heard about on here, I have found the service and the customer service second to none. As a result, I have stuck with them for almost 8 years.

My father on the other hand, who had been on BT, left them temporarily, and had to go crawling back due to the absolute nightmare he had with whatever other company he went with.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mancjon
    Free Member

Never had any major problems with them. Couple of times over 2 years lost internet but very short period.

Have Tiscali in the house i’m in now and it is slower and a lot less reliable but that may just be my experience.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We had Virgin for a couple of years then went to Sky because it was cheaper and had more tv channels. I think as soon as the Sky contract is up we’ll be going back to Virgin. Mainly because the Sky/BT Internet is crap (constantly boots my iPhone out) and slow and the tv tuner only has 2 channels so we get a lot of recording clashes. Virgin have a 3 channel tuner. We did have a few teething problems with Virgin but after that it was perfect.

metal_leg
    Free Member

I have been with them for about 8 years with no issues. When sky started doing cheaper deals I called them and the price magically came down. Cant remember the last time we had an outage.

Sandwich

Only one outage since the mid-90’s here when a road maintenance crew put a back-hoe through the fibre at Colchester. Took them 8 hours to get it running again, understandable with the hoo-ha that splicing fibre requires!
    Just about to get the £30 upgrade to 30MB in the next week.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

started out as a cable & Wireless customer they then became NTL an finally Virgin media – no probs really and while getting sense out of customer services – they get the job done – best of all I pay for 10mb broadband & I get 10mb all day every day

Pauly

No worries here. Been with them for over a year now and just upgraded to 30Mb service for £22.50 a month.

Seem to be getting close to 30Mb most of the time too!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Good for over 6 years with me, happy to stay with them. TV,Phone and Broadband.

SaxonRider

I should add that, like breakneckspeed, I get the connection speed I pay for.

rewski
    Free Member

You plonker – now there’s Virgin Media ads everywhere on this site.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

With virgin for about 5 years+ here with no problems. Two tinternet outages in that time which is not bad compared to some. I’m on 30meg and I can hit that most of the time.

All in all very good. Much faster than BT.

Sandwich…

Just about to get the £30 upgrade to 30MB in the next week.

If you are using p2p with the new speed-hub make sure you uncheck the IP flooding and firewall settings in the router options otherwise it just bogs the whole thing down. Other than that it is super fast.

Philby

Been with them for 8 or 9 years. No significant problems. Last time had a problem it was solved by a really helpful guy on the other end of the phone.

warton
    Free Member

I had problems with the new hub, and like you had to alter settings that should of been done on installation. Apart from that no problems at all. Broadband seems stable, rarely get an outage, and if I do it’s normally a reboot and it’s all fine again.

cp

+1 all of the above really – very reliable, ge t the speed you pay for (we’re on cable rather than through the phone line as they offer now aswell). Had a problem with corroded phone cable in the cellar, which we should have been charged for really, but they came next day & fixed for free.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Never had a problem in 5+ years.

I get my mobile phone through them now as well.

Pieface

Expensive phone calls outside of free bundle.

Intermittent problems with the TV, particularly on playback or on primetime programs.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m pretty pleased with ours. We’ve had one problem where the internet kept dropping out for long periods. After a few fruitless phonescalls I got all middle class on them and demanded an engineer be there tomorrow. They did that, he pronounced my installation fine and that there was a switch problem affecting a load of people. Took ’em about a week to fix that. Been fine ever since.

Woman logs on to the modem and tells me it is fine

Yeah, they said that to me too. Liars.

tim41
    Free Member

I’ve been over 10 years with Virgin (and formely Telewest). No major problems at all. Only one or two minor issues in that time and always sorted out promptly. When I moved from Worcestershire to Devon, the new connection and switch over was up and running within a few days.
    Satisfied customer.

Garry_Lager

Fine here, no significant problems with the hardware.
    If you have to phone them up about a bill or something then communication is hard work – their customer service is pretty limited. That seems to be the industry standard though, and if there’s any thing needing doing harware wise it gets sent out asap.

takisawa2

No problems, but of late modem sometime locks up, but is due to be replaced as its at its limit for the 20mb speed we have apparently.

chakaping
    Free Member

internet great until it stops working, which seems to be happening more and more lately

customer services a joke

joolsburger
    Free Member

Ive been with them years, it’s all good on 50meg + phone.

Costs to premium numbers and mobiles are not cheap.

Had an outage late last night but was fine this morning, first one in months.

muff
    Free Member

I agreed to a package over the phone..a great deal..

the tarrif then came through the post, completely wrong…less speed and more exspensive than agreed.

I then phone to get this ammended and was told ‘we don’t offer that package so you can’t have it’. Luckily I called from my work phone so had it recorded to prove it.. so they honoured the original package.

then had it installed, connection was rubbish barely get a connection when stodd next to the hub..

On going.. not impressed so far..

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Been fine here

sadmadalan

Been with them for ages for BB, and last year moved to TV and Phone as well. Had a few issues with dying modems and some problems with their modems and wireless routers. However have just got one of the new Superhubs (combined modem and Wireless-N router) and it has been great.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Been with them for about 12 years through their C&W, NTL and Virgin incarnations. Reliable, reasonably priced and a true 10mb connection.

The V+ box has been life-changing.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Their DNS servers are shit.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

muff – the connection to the hub might be what I had. Apparently the default setting is rubbish and they had to change it to 13 (what ever that means) and now it is fine throughout the house

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Media – Good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.