Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Van interiors – where to get carpet from?
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

been spending the past few weekends putting together the surf/bike bus and am getting to the point where I want to carpet the roof/walls of the sleeping area, mainly to deaden the sound a little and also to reduce condensation etc (not to mention avoiding banging heads on carpet instead of ply/mteal.

so where do I get cheap carpet from – looking for similar stuff to car interior carpet or that very short closed loop stuff you find on carpet tiles (but on a roll, in a more flexible format)

Also needing to finalise layout – does anyone have any good examples of bike carrying/sleeping VW T4 SWB, with a bit of watersports kit in there too?

Cheers,

jim

Cheer

large418
    Free Member

Megavanmats for carpet. Sells all the glue as well. Look on brickyard.com for details of layouts etc

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Ive been looking into this too. I dont have a source but everyone is telling me that you need van carpet as it is stretchy to deal with corners etc

like this;- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-BLACK-CAR-CARAVAN-VAN-BOOT-LINER-TRIM-CARPET-CLOTH-/300422105791?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item45f28d8abf#ht_1421wt_
    apparently

NigE5
    Free Member

Try Auto Trimmings on I think they have a web site

Shadow
    Free Member

Megavanmats is very good, excellent carpet to work with

Ringo
    Free Member

Just doing my t4 as well, megavanmats is good and they have a deal on when buying 10m plus glue

druidh
    Free Member

Is Megavanmats the slowest loading website in the universe?

geoffj

Mine is done with standard cord from the local carpet warehouse.
    The key is to use enough spray adhesive.

spooky_b329

How much do you need, you are local looking at your username? I went a bit OTT and bought quite a lot of mid grey carpet. Its the proper stuff that stretches, very easy to apply without ripples.

PM me if interested.

rickmeister

Got an industrial sort of carpet in mine and its great… plus, the hook part of velcro sticks really well to it for straps, bags etc etc…

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

thanks chaps – spooky – YGM

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Borat’s brother? 😉

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Megavanmats in Pudsey, Leeds is all you need to know. Mark is a top bloke and the carpet is brilliant quality.

project
    Free Member

Try Band Q they sell off the remants quite cheap, also i used underlay from the laminate flooring i had left over for the base it makes it quite soft to lie or kneel on, and dont forget the bulkhead.An old duvet works well put it in a cover, and you can just take the cover off to wash it, remember vans are closed spaces with limited ventilation so smoking smells tend to be absorbed by the carpet, duvet.

I also insulated the sides with recycled plastic bottle insulation from b and q, it doesnt itch and is quite easy to split in half thickneses.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

does anyone have any good examples of bike carrying/sleeping VW T4 SWB

i’ve got a standard full legnth cabinets set up from convertyourvan, with a 3/4 width spacesaving rr/bed from jds.

the seat gives me max floorspace (in a vw t5). i have no panels on the bed base so i can slip boards underneath. the units have maybe a foot space from the rear of my drivers seat so the bike, without front wheel, slots in nicely accross the back of the seats.

before i went down this route i seriuosly considered havin the same 3/4 witdth bed and making a modified pod to go accross the seats with the bit by the drivers seat being half height as an additional buddy seat.

i was then going to make some removable side units that would go in on said buddy seat should i need more storage when going away.

anyway my reason for that set up was that day to day i could just slide my boards (they generally live in the van) between the seat and the side of the van out of the way.

does that make sense? i can draw a sketch if it would help. i still think its a very functional set up for a day to day van with boards.

p.s. magavanmats all the way. and do not compromise on quality, the cheaper it is the harder to fit.

for flooring look for altro offcuts on ebay.

vwt4 forum has loads of info on carpets, flooring and fitting.

sturmey
    Free Member

+1 for Mark at megavanmats just done my T5 and he is a top guy with advice. Use the .com address the other one takes you to GT Campers who’s carpet is not as flexible even if it is cheaper.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Van interiors – where to get carpet from?’ is closed to new replies.