Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Van drivers attacking verges/banks – on purpose?
  • bigmeister
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure whether to post this in the chat or bike forum, since it’s a bit ‘out there’, but since it involves something I’ve only ever seen out riding…

On maybe 15 or 20 occasions in the last couple of years I’ve seen delivery van drivers inexplicably grind their tyres along the earthy banks of minor country roads, or stray on to verges, usually with the result of spreading quite a lot of earth or mud into the road. I’ve seen it happen both having just been overtaken (on the bike) and when the van is coming towards me. I never felt it was an aggressive act aimed at me or anyone else, and there were never any other vehicles around. And whilst some instances I could maybe put down to genuine mistakes, some others were clearly not – like a few times when drivers have continued to grind into bank for 20 metres or more.

I’m just a normal motorist, but I’ve driven vans of all sizes over the years, and even the odd small truck, and I’ve never steered so inaccurately as to do anything similar. Is this some weird prank or ‘tradition’? Has anyone else ever seen anything similar, or is it just a coincidence I’ve experienced it comparatively often?

I’m not losing any sleep over this, but find it quite puzzling.
    Biggy

jam-bo

They are on the phone.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Only time I’ve ever seen van driver do anything like that round where I live is when I’ve been in the car and met them head on in a narrow country lane. Rather than slow down and take a bit of care when passing they just mount the verge and carry on.

butcher

The only time I see it is when they are passing other traffic, or expect that they may be passing traffic (i.e. on bends). One thing that I get right royally peeved about on country lanes, is the aversion to slowing down for any reason at all. Doesn’t matter if there’s not enough room to get through, as far as they’re concerned, you’ll make room for them…

bigmeister
    Free Member

Hmmm – good points. On the phone – quite likely. Often on bends and always at speed.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Nearly got killed by a Tesco delivery van last summer, riding the tt bike home on country roads, not head down by any stretch, descended a small hill to find said van tearing along at 60+ with his head down checking orders. He was wandering from side to side on a single lane country road, until about 5m away he was on my side, needless to say I was preparing to ride into the hedgerow at 25mph rather than hit him. Thankfully he looked up, shat himself and swerved. I was not a happy cyclist.

project
    Free Member

The soft verges just act as buffers, try it take your hands off the wheel and gently drive alongside the verge, and the van will follow,same with driving a 4 x 4 offroad, it follows the tracks,like a scalextrix car.

sparkyrhino

Sh**e drivers,not there own vehicle dont give a damn.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Bigmeister – not just you buddy. I see it a lot in the white peak – making roads nearly wide enough for 2 vehicles now where it used to be a single VERY wide carriageway. Really annoys me – it people who cannot wait!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Van drivers attacking verges/banks – on purpose?’ is closed to new replies.