• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by st.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Using different weight oil in Fox forks
  • st

I’m about to put some fox Van 36s back together after a strip and clean but don’t have any 10 weight oil for the lowers.

Will using 15 weight oil affect their performance or the lubing of the bushes? I do have some 5 weight so could mix a bit of this in to thin the 15 weight out a bit.

Ta.

SBrock
    Free Member

When I serviced my Van 36 FIT Kashimas I used 5wt as thats all I had, that’s was 6 months ago and seems ok so far!
    It’s only to lubricate the bushings so should be fine, next time I get some I will get the 10 wt.
    The Fox site is very inconsistent with oils, MOJO uk say uses float fluid for the foam rings because of our weather in the uk, but FOX something different
    As long as they are cleaned, lubed regular then can’t see any problem!

Superficial
    Free Member

Float fluid is way heavier than 15wt so if you can use that OK, then 15 wt will be fine. I’ve been putting all sorts of different oil in various Rockshox forks, it makes no perceptible difference, although I don’t have any experience with Fox.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’ll be fine, it will probably slow the rebound and compression speed a bit.

SBrock
    Free Member

it’ll be fine, it will probably slow the rebound and compression speed a bit.

hes was talking about the lowers….these have no affect on damping/rebound/compression characteristics

Klunk
    Free Member

he doesn’t say whether they are FIT or open bath.

SBrock
    Free Member

he did mention lubricating the bushes

tpbiker
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, but since we’re talking about fox servicing my forks are currently in pieces on my kitchen table. I’ve removed the lowers but for the life of me can’t get the seals out 🙁

I’ve looked at the how to guides, but mine seem stuck fast. Any suggestions/tips. I reckon brute force would get em out, but don’t want to mangle the inside of the leg.

ta

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The damper cartridge on FIT or non-FIT fox doesn’t have any impact on the semi-bath either way.

st

Thanks all, figured it would be ok, I’ve done the same before on Rockshox just never service Fox before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Using different weight oil in Fox forks’ is closed to new replies.