Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Unreliable trades people. Aaaarghh!!!!!!!
  • Bregante

Having moved house about 5 months ago we’ve come to the conclusion that the kitchen needs a bit of remodelling. Nothing major but probably a few days work as there is some rejigging of units and moving of appliances to make the space work better for us.

Over the last 10 days I have contacted 4 seperate builders/joiners/kitchen fitter types, 2 of which were on recommendation from friends. 1 never even bothered to ring me back, despite promising to do so – twice.

So I’m off work today and arranged for the other 3 to come at different times this morning.

All agreed and I have sat patiently since 9 am this morning.

How many do you think have shown up? None.

I thought we were in a recession. Clearly builders are still busy to be able to turn away work like this but I wouldn’t mind if they just told me at the time that they weren’t interested or were too busy. I could have tried elsewhere. I spoke to one of them about half an hour ago to enquire why he hadn’t turned up (the other two didn’t answer). He said he’d ring back in five minutes. Good job I didn’t hold my breath!

I could have gone riding but now I have to pick the daughter up from school in 2 hours!
    Aaaaaaaghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dawson

I had the same last month trying to get a plumber to quote for fitting a new boiler.

One dude came round, took some detailed notes, spent a good 30 mins discussing various options, but then didn’t call us back with a price – what was the point of spending so much time if he wasn’t bothered about actually providing a quote?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you? There’s one or two kitchen fitters on here, myself included. Blazing saddles knows his stuff too

Bregante

Manchester?

5 mins from the Trafford Centre

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

DIY. It’s not hard screwing a few units to a wall.
    Worktop can be tricky and a defiate pro job, but if you’re only moving stuff round I’m guessing that’s staying the same?

Bregante

I’m totally cack at joinery. It’s a solid oak kitchen so I really can’t be trusted. Also a dishwasher needs fitting and it will involve plumbing in a water supply and drainage. Plumbing defo not a strong point.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Don’t get me started. Our house was basically a construction site for a couple of years & all sorts of tradesmen came & went. They ranged from unreliable to incompetent to criminal. Just thinking about the whole affair boils my p1ss.

flip
    Free Member

I pick up lots of work round here because i seem to be the only one who does turn up..

If you were Staffs i’d come and look 😉

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I’m in ashton so not far really. I can take a look for you but I won’t be able to do it until Jan unless I get any cancellations.

My email should be in profile

woffle
    Free Member

Not sure it’s any consolation but it’s exactly the same down in Sussex. We’ve been trying to get bits and pieces done on the house for the past year. Even getting to speak to someone on the phone is a trial of patience.

One of our neighbours is a roofer. He’s looking at getting a new porsche sometime soon. Obviously things aren’t too bad…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Turning up is often half way to getting the job. If someone isn’t willing to have a look in the evening, then sometimes it’s best not to bother with them. I’d normally not have time to break off from a job during the day to look at something. Sorry to hear you’re struggling to get someone. We’re not all like that.

Bregante

funky.

Cheers for that. I was hoping to get it done sooner but may have to have a re-think. Will make a note though. Ta

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

No worries. If you can wait, Jan/Feb is when tradesmen are usually quiet, so could be cheaper. Run up to christmas is always my busiest, therefore most expensive for customers.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Trades people often let themselves down on communication and in being unreliable.

I would hazard a guess these particular guys are all busy working, but they should have given you a heads up that they weren’t going to show well in advance.

I wouldn’t want to be a jobbing builder as you immediately get tarred with the same brush as all the other wazzocks out there.

There are numerous TV shows that do nothing to help the reputation of proper professional tradesman. It’s a highly skilled challenging role, but which is not held in high esteem by most people. The word “cowboy” is synonymous with anyone who can make a living doing this sort of work. The media do everything to reinforce this. This doesn’t attract good people to the profession!

Our society tends to denigrate the less academic people amongst us. They deem these people good for nothing other than manual work. If only those with this misguided idea understood that manual trades work requires skill, tenacity and a diferent sort of intelligence to that of traditioanl academia.

They are overlooking that after actually doing all this manual work, this self-employed business person has to be salesman, bookeeper, project manager, logistics/procurement etc. No wonder some of these guys are a bit unreliable! They have their plate full and many are not up to running a professional outfit.

I bet most customers just go for the lowest quote, rather than pay a bit extra to get a true professional. So wazzocks proliferate, as do cowboys/conmen.

I can imagine it would be a nightmare dealing with the unrealistic expectations of some customers and the general ignorance about the time a job takes and what it entails. So you’d be expected to do jobs to prefection for peanuts. Any tiny arising issue can/will be blown out of proportion by the customer causing acrimony. Perhaps you would get people who wouldn’t pay until you have done a lot of extra repair work on damage which they falsely claim you caused etc etc. Imagine the damage one misguided or unreasonable person could do to your reputation.

It’s physically hard work as well as requiring skills and talent. Perfoming these trades often eventually mess up your health. It’s an occupation full of pitfalls and not very well paid, given the insecurity of the situation and the extended hours beyond the time you spend on site.

There’s no excuse for guys not keeping you informed, but if there were sizeable companies employing guys, ensuring their work and materials were scheduled, customers kept informed etc, it would all work better. If this was the case, customers would be paying considerably more than they do now. This will never happen becuase people want “cheap”. You get what you pay for!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I had a so called bricklayer say he could do my garden wall, but couldn’t go round corners, so ok if it was just a straight one.

Then a few years later rang a plumber about installing my boiler, this time he only did leaks

Did the wall myself in the end albeit very very slowly and got a proper plumber to fit the boiler, very good job he did too

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I called a fella about a large(ish) amount of flagging we wanted to replace the old 3 x 2’s plus a bit more including a 9ft circle, took him a week to call round then 3 weeks to get a price out of him. In the meantime I got a cheaper quote so rang the original guy who said he’d match it but couldn’t start for another 4 weeks! I had a gut feeling that he’d do a good job (just by his appearance & demeanour) so decided to wait, he phoned about 3 days later to say he could start in 4 days time.
    I’m pleased we waited, he’s done a cracking job.
    So sometimes it’s worth waiting.

project
    Free Member

Bregante – Member
    I’m totally cack at joinery. It’s a solid oak kitchen so I really can’t be trusted. Also a dishwasher needs fitting and it will involve plumbing in a water supply and drainage. Plumbing defo not a strong point.

Posted 2 hours ago #

Solid oak kitchen my arse, you would never make one, its just the doors that may be made of some sort of oak.

As a self emplyed joiner , its really difficult out there, i always go out to any quote, if i feel i have the relevant skills to do the job, and usually provide a quote on the spot either in writing or verbally, a written one is alweays best so we both know what we are doing, and going to be paid for.

Sometimes when i turn up at a house, im met with a barage of complaints about the previous chap who turned up, did part of the job and either left or was told not to do the job anymore, sometimes there is a personality conflict between us on our first meet, and for sure it would degenerate as the job went on so i usually refuse and say best to get someone else.
    Sometimes you meet a tradesman who has worked in the house you are working at,they will tell you to watch out for certain things or say the customer is lovely.

A few years ago went to see a lady customer , for 3 days work, she made us tea all day, bacon butties twice, that night at 9.45 she rang up totally demented, shouting etc, told us all ioour tools wher being put outside, got there next day and all the tools where out in the rain from the night before,it appeared her husband didnt like her being so freindly with us.

What we need is a programe CUSTOMERS FROM HELL, on pills or just agressive,neurotic,not wanting to pay idiots.

Or even “Im A TRADESMAN GET ME OUT OF HERE”.

dropoff

Very eloquently put Project. It is as they say a minefield out there and as a tradesman it’s very difficult to win 🙂 ‘Tis a shame that no one wants to put our side of the story across though.

uplink
    Free Member

When I worked for myself I always attended in reasonably good time or phoned to cancel/postpone

customers? – the ones that made my blood boil were the ones that wanted to haggle the price after the job was done

dave360

“remodelling” Is your house made of lego, Bregante?

ononeorange

We should start some regional directories on here of skilled STW’ers so us numpties know who to contact when things go pear-shaped.

project
    Free Member

There are also profesional haglers out there, ones who just dont understand the cost you charge them and tell that at the start of the job,is the price they will pay at the end of the job.

mrmo
    Free Member

There are also profesional haglers out there, ones who just dont understand the cost you charge them and tell that at the start of the job,is the price they will pay at the end of the job.

I think that the industry is its own worst enemy, how many companies work on special offers, or discounts, etc.

As for quality, i deal with warranties on composite doors, i find it odd how some companies have lots of complaints, and others who sell as many, never cause a problem. I think there is something to be said for you get what you pay for.

project
    Free Member

composite doors as in engineered timber ones or the plastic type.

As for the wooden ones a well known retailer has loads of problems with the veneer peeling and poor quality finishing of the panels.

I know ,because now i want buy or fit them.

tony24
    Free Member

i had a quality customer on the phone to me the other day. Phoned me and asked me for a quote and explained that he wanted me to quote him on his sizes over the net via email pictures etc. I said this was fine providing he understood the quote could move up or down afew hundred depending on me measuring up.

I got the price for the windows/glass and told him. his reply ” Bloody hell that’s expensive” i was quite annoyed by his outburst and said thats my quote feel free to go elsewhere and get 1 and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Naturally he did and then the next day i receive a call… “I would like to accept your quote”. i new this was coming as i know how much the bigger companies would have charged for the work his next question ” Can you come round now and measure it up” 🙄 i explained i have other work and would have to try and get round on the saturday at the earliest he still was not happy about this so i told him i dont want the job and did not bother phoning him back some people really think you have nothing else to do…

just another side of the story 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

composite doors as in engineered timber ones or the plastic type.

GRP skinned.

AdamW
    Free Member

Got a recommendation for a joiner from a mate at work, so he came in and did all the internal doors. Good job he made of it too. I mentioned I needed to do some other work on the front door, a bit of bricklaying and fix the back garage door. He said he would like the work and that he had skills in those areas, so I said fine. He then took ages to provide a quote, which I accepted, then turned up after four weeks to measure, saying he would be in touch. I have not heard from him since. I discreetly enquired about him through the mate at work and the joiner’s wife is furious because he hasn’t got any work on. He obviously had second thoughts about the job but didn’t have the decency to tell me, and kept me waiting for two months.

As a result I have no idea who to turn to. I will pay a decent amount for a decent job but traders who I approach just aren’t interested. I’m talking of at least a couple of grand in work too. 🙁

Bregante

Likewise here. Happy to pay for a decent job but will not be messed around by lazy idiots who don’t have the decency to turn up, or ring to say they can’t make it/don’t want the job.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied the idea of a “Cowboy Customers Programme”. There are plenty of ’em out there 🙂

chickenman

This is the wonder that is the mobile phone: You’re in an attic or up a ladder trying to get something finished and someone phones to ask when you can come and see a job. Some tradesmen make promises they can’t keep, others, like myself just leave the ruddy things in the van. 😀
    I recently had a customer who came to me on recommendation to do a very small job at the other side of town. I said how much it would cost and when I could do it. Was then asked for a written quote, so did that, was then phoned to say she had given the job to someone else who was a lot more expensive but had been prepared to do a site visit!!
    I was fairly rude in return.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Sad to say this is the reason why we’ve tended to go with the bigger companies, rather than going for smaller local tradesmen. I needed some plastering doing, neighbour passed us the details of someone they’d used, rang them, mobile number, left a message, never heard anything. Currently getting the job done by the son in law of a work colleague.

[edit] re mobiles, why have an active voicemail with the offer to return a call if a message is left, if they’re not going to bother ringing back they might as well turn the phone off and not bother.[/edit]

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Unreliable trades people. Aaaarghh!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.