Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ubuntu – the screen froze.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I chose automatic log-in and the KDE screen (Ubuntu 11.04), restarted the PC, the screen showed the KDE and… went black with only the mouse pointer on it. Nothing works.
    How can I bring back the default setup? I have access to another Ubuntu PC.

Olly
    Free Member

how about this?

Safe graphics mode

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks, it was really simple 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

try ctr+alt + backspace, this will kill you x server and restart it.

if this happens again try ctrl + alt + F5 (you can use any number but F7, this is the std log in.)

Then log into the command line. Then

sudo nano -wc /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

this should bring up the kdm setting file. search though this (either manually of with ctrl + w) for soemthing todo with auto login, there will be a value to change to false or something to comment out or similar.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I realised I didn’t have KDE installed so am doing it at the moment. As I’m unconvinced by Unity I think I should try KDE (am familiar with GNOME).

TheBrick
    Free Member

I personally prefer kde to gnome but that’s only because I’m accustomed to it. Fluxbox now they all started becoming too bloated for my ageing pc.

Conqueror
    Free Member

ye don’t unity either… the remix netbook edition was a better implementation of that sort of interface

they should of gone with GNOME 3 instead IMO (for Ubuntu 11.04)

HC you can use Ubuntu classic at login screen to use GNOME 2

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ll check KDE out but have also noticed I can install GNOME 3 so there are options.
    Did you notice once you screw your OS up you learn more? 😈

chvck
    Free Member

Might also be worth having a look at Mint 11, it’s built on ubuntu 11. I’ve swapped to it after deciding that I didn’t like the look of the ubuntu 11! I’m quite pleased I changed, I definitely prefer this to ubuntu 10.04.

Hairychested
    Free Member

http://www.psychocats.net seems a good source of information. I’ll see if GNOME 3 works on my desktop, but I might try another distro.

Conqueror
    Free Member

HC the latest Fedora uses GNOME 3

although it is a less user friendly distribution than Ubuntu and it’s derivatives

Hairychested
    Free Member

I tried Fedora this morning, couldn’t get the PC to connect to the web, I’m back with Ubuntu (although I really liked the precision of Fedora). I also chose the GNOME 2 desktop for now, might go for GNOME 3 with 11.10.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ubuntu – the screen froze.’ is closed to new replies.