Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ubuntu Question
  • jimmy

I want to install Ubuntu onto my old laptop. I assume it will promote OpenOffice, but can I actually install MS office ('why would you want to' questions aside)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes i think you could through Wine but "Why would you want to" springs to mind.

Also the answer to any Linux related question can be found here clicky clicky

mikewsmith
    Free Member

any chance of an answer to the why would you want to part, I'm intrigued…

coffeeking
    Free Member

IME OO can cock up some office (specifically powerpoint) files, and often stuffs up the formatting of word docs. OK if you work solely with one or the other.

damion
    Free Member

Oo can indeed muck things up, its got to do with the fact that fonts change slightly between os's and the fact they're not embedded. Easiest solution is to run a windows virtual machine (trust me I've spent long enough trying to fudge it). Search out virtualbox, its a piece of cake.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Damion, I beg to differ on "the easiest" bit. It is an option but not the easiest one. Two systems on the laptopwould be simpler.
    Jimmy, unless you use PowerPoint a lot you won't need the MS Office. Besides, K-Office is there for you parallel to the OO.

damion
    Free Member

Oh yeah dual boot for simplicity, but for ease of use and convenience I'd say virtualbox.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather be m$ free (before this new job last windows I used was 3.1), and the corporate reliance on outlook makes me cry.

jimmy

fear of what coffeeking said is why I'd want Office. I don't use it an awful lot but have CV's and applications in Word which I wouldn't be too chuffed about losing / screwing up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ubuntu Question’ is closed to new replies.