Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • tyres for the alps – sorry
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

😳

off to les arcs in a couple of weeks with the wife. last time i got all techy about tyres and ended up with intense edge DC and intense FRO

i like intense tyres

their range seems to have dropped however and they are still silly expensive

so

i have options:

1 – still got a few pairs of part worn Intense edge DH and FRO left, i could just ride these but they’ll have lost their bite a bit

2 – just buy 4 high rollers (£23 each on crc) and be done with it

3 – something else i haven’t thought of but doesn’t cost the earth

Last time i was very impressed with the intense tyres but they have done a trip to canada and a wee bit of DH since (plus they are made of cheese* anyway). I was there for 2 weeks and did the most technical stuff that trailaddiction could throw at me. This time i’ll be riding with the very competent but not into rad to the max sickness anymore wife all week so am thinking it won’t really matter what rubber i’m using. need to be available in 2.35 and 2.5 ideally.

any suggestions? I’m out of date with big tyre technology.

*very grippy cheese

toys19
    Free Member

V happy with high rollers, I use super tacky’s for the front.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like rubber queens and minions (fr rr respectively) but minions all round seem poular too.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

High rollers and minions will be fine because you won’t need mud tyres or anything:

cabbage84
    Free Member

If its anything like the porte de soleil region at min get something thats good in mud cos theres plenty of it

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hmmmm – rubber queens are nice and cheap. anybody know what rubber the basic ones have on?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used a tioga white tiger 2.5 f and a comp 16 2.2 rear with no issues except on a greasy road going flat out !

DT78
    Free Member

I am very very happy I packed swampthings this year.

toys19
    Free Member

I like my swampthings, but in the alps I found that my high rollers were awesome in the mud. Anyone done serpentine in chatel?
    It starts with a fire road with some jumps on it but then it becomes muddy berm after muddy berm, the high rollers were awesome loads of predictable grip – and then controllable slide. I actually really enjoyed it..

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I used a Rampage SC on the front at Les Arc last year and was seriously impressed by it. Rear tyre isn’t so important, but the Spesh Captain didn’t give me any reason to take it off.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hmm, for now i’ve found a pair of pretty new condition minions (think one was bought in the alps last time) for the wife’s bike (50aR 42aF)

i’ve bunged a pair of Intense World Cup DH Edge DCs on mine but they are looking a little thread bare on the (single ply) sidewalls

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Anyone done serpentine in chatel?
    It starts with a fire road with some jumps on it but then it becomes muddy berm after muddy berm, the high rollers were awesome loads of predictable grip – and then controllable slide. I actually really enjoyed it..

I was in Chatel last week, and didn’t ride serpentine (I love the people blue for getting to the bottom from the first lift), but really would not have fancied high rollers. It was seriously slippery and I nearly went over the edge of the panoramic green when my wet scream clogged up on the front!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘tyres for the alps – sorry’ is closed to new replies.