Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Two days in Bath, what to do?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m taking my wife on a surprise birthday trip to Bath, is there anything I shouldn’t miss out? Is the thermae spa any good? Not really my thing, but my wife loves beauty treatments etc.

Thanks in advance.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Open top bus trip, Royal Crescent, Roman baths/spa, excellent shoppng, excellent restaurants, go for nice tea and cakes in the Bath Tea Rooms.

You can also win points by taking her to the Jane Austen Centre and the Fashion Museum, if she’s into that sort of lark.

If there’s a match on then you can go and watch Bath RFC too.

phil.w
    Free Member

A trip round the Roman Baths, if it’s a nice day then the open top bus tour is a good way of getting to see all the views/architectural highlights.

Not personally been to the thermae but those I know have give it good reviews, the queues outside seem to suggest it’s still popular.

Have you got anything lined up for eating out? I could recommend some good restaurants if needed.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Plenty of moisturiser when you get out. You’ll be all wrinkly.

T1000
    Free Member

thermae spa is good, worth checking out First Great Westerns web site as there are often special offers on the Thermae……….

titusrider
    Free Member

Thermae is deffo recommended, try the evening slots, you only need a couple of hours but watchin the sun set from the rooftop pool is a deffinate highlight 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    Bagstard
    Free Member

Nothing lined up foodwise as yet, but looking for nice, but not too expensive.

The open top bus is a good call, always good to get your bearings!

Tasso
    Free Member

Pop to the fine cheese company opposite the Hilton on Walcot Street. Then after a nice morning coffee and cake or croissant you can turn left towards Johns Bikes or right to Total Fitness bike shops.

Take a wander up towards Chelsea Road out towards the RUH (hospital) and have a bite for lunch at Kindlings Cafe where you can then pop over the road to Cadence bike shop.

Well that would be my idea of a nice weekend in Bath anyway. 🙂

Never been to the Spa, pump rooms or Roman Baths despite living here since 94.

djglover
    Free Member

Just book a hotel room and GET IN ON dude 😉

llama

John’s Bikes, Total Fitness, Cadence.

The Bell (not everyones thing), The Raven, The Star

The roman baths is pretty good.

The thermae is good, book in advance.

Foodwise – what’s ‘not too expensive’ ?

stumpy01

We went for a weekend in Bath & were recommended a restaurant called ‘Yak Yeti Yak’, I think. It was great.
    Open Top Bus trip also worth a look – just wrap up as it can get cold sat on an open top bus for an hour.

Don’t bother with the Jorvik Viking thing. It was cak.

phil.w
    Free Member

For a good evening meal there is The Moon & Six Pence or The Hole In The Wall in the centre of town. King William or Marlborough Tavern for posh pub food.

Or if you want a curry there’s RajPoot which is the best in the south west.

llama

phil.w speaks the truth

(get your wallet out for the moon or hole in wall though)

Flaperon

Trip round the Roman baths, but at night. Fantastic experience.

thebunk

There’s a flash new pub in town called Hall and Woodhouse – it’s hidden behind the main high street, nice place to take the missus, and it does a good range of ales. Just up the road from the Raven as it happens, so go to both.

The spa is best on a nice weekday evening.

ransos
    Free Member

Go to Bath Spa and buy two train tickets for Bristol Temple Meads.

Conqueror
    Free Member

http://www.walrusandcarpenter.com/

this place is good for grub

worth walking down the canal if you have time, cant go far wrong in bath though, visually its very nice but then it is a UNESCO world heritage site

wallop

I always spend the afternoon in the spa, then follow it up with a lovely but cheap dinner at Jamie’s Italian.

Gascoyne Place is also nice for food. Not expensive but the atmosphere is lovely.

CountZero

Why would someone want to go to Bristol if they’re specifically asking about Bath? Unless, of course, you’re just trolling to be an arse. There’s more places to eat in Bath than I can possibly suggest; Jamie Oliver’s place gets excellent reviews, but I’ve heard it’s booked up a fortnight in advance! The Hole In The Wall is very good, I’ve teen there, and it’s much bigger inside than you’d think. The Marlborough Tavern on Julian Road has a very good rep too, just been voted best pub restaurant in Bath, I believe. All local food, I popped in with a girlfriend who lives nearby because her local, St James’ Wine Vaults, is usually crammed, and practically every table was occupied, on a Tuesday, too. The George at Batheaston, on the K&A Canal is worth checking out as part of a Sunday walk; go along Great Pulteny Street, up through Sidney Gardens and there’s an entrance onto the towpath. Turn left and keep walking. Gets busy on nice days, mind.

transapp
    Free Member

Jamies is a good shout (off Milsom Street), it’s not fully booked as you can’t actually book it. Might have to queue though so got thier early.
    Hall and Woodhouse is a good place t get a bite to eat, but the Malborough Tavern rocks really good grub and not too expensive.. Don’t go to the Moon & Sixpence, it’s closed. Lime Lounge is very good but you must book.
    Failing all of the above, pack your bike. there’s some great riding withing seeing distance of the centre!
    For the Mrs, how about the theater with an early meal at Gasgoins (sp) place?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for all their input. djglover isn’t that far wrong, it will be our first night without baby Bagstard since he was born in November! We are actually going on thursday and friday, so hopefully not quite so busy.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I’d second what phil.w said about food.

Avoid expensive bath tea rooms it was rubbish, £17.50 each! for poor quality cake and sandwiches.

If your wife likes to shop its great, there are so many alleyways with loads of little shops.

If you haven’t booked a place yet, try Dorian House it was truly excellent, you can walk into Bath easily.

Matt.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Matt,
    it is good to hear you say that, I booked into Dorian house yesterday! 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Two days in Bath, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.