Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Turner HL 5-Spot – Shock choice question…
  • IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Hi all,

After moving from Medium > Large HL 5-spot frame, I’m rebuilding, and looking at my shock options, from what I have in front of me…

Fox DHX5 – Ti spring

Fox RP3 – TFT serviced and tuned (increased hi-speed rebound damping)
    Never used since, as I got a bargain DHX5 with Ti coil.

Fox RP23 – High Volume air-can.
    Fox stickers on the can show Level 3 Compression, Level 2 Rebound
    Came with my 2nd-hand large frame, and to be serviced, either before use, or before selling.

I’m running standard Turner rockers (5″/5.1″?), weigh about 88-92Kg and have no grace at all!

I have Fox TALAS 32 RLC (100/120/140) up front

Im not familiar at all with the RP23… or the benefits (if any) of the High Volume air can….

Any thoughts from fellow 5-Spot owners, or general rear shock geeks?

Cheers – Rick

grahamh
    Free Member

This year I replaces the 3way swinger on by 04 Burner, with a rp23,
    the performance seems much better.

midlifecrashes

I’m no geek, but match your bike and weight. I went from the original Romic with spring to an RP23 and there was a massive improvement, I have the propedal on light setting usually and rarely mess with it. I’m pretty sure it’s got the medium setting compression damping which seems to suit me well enough, but I’m really no expert.
    Any excuse:

Crag
    Free Member

I dumped the rp23 HV on my TNT for a push’d van r. The improvement was night and day. If you can stand the weight gain I’d get the dhx5 tuned and use that.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Out of those. My preference would be the RP23, although for your (and My) weight, you’d be better off with an LV can and a push tune.

I’ve got a Pushed Van R which is a touch better, but I’m prepared to have the RP23 as my main shock due to the weight saving.

I have a suspicion that crag may be feeling the benefit of the Push tune more than the change in the shock…

Now

In an earlier guise

rc200f8
    Free Member

I’m still running the original Romic on my 5spot with 5.1 rockers, I tried an RP23 with a high volume air can & with medium compression & rebound tune but I just didn’t like it, it wasn’t supple over small stuff like the romic. I run a DHX coil on the 6pack but I’ve never tried it on the 5spot, coil every time for me.

parisroubaix

I would give the range of shocks you have a try and see what suits your usual routes/style best. The 5 spot is so versatile i don’t think you’ll find any of them bad. Although I am in a minority here, I think that having gone from a pushed rp2 to standard rp3, the non pushed shock worked far better for my riding.

Hadge
    Free Member

I’ve ran a DHX 5.0 Air, a DHX coil with ti spring and also a Pushed RP3 on the 2 5 Spots I owned and for sheer performance the best by far was the DHX coil and ti spring – it was plush! Very very plush! I loved the way it swallowed hits, big or small and the ride with Vanilla forks was outstanding. Yes it was a little porky at 30lb build but I didn’t care as it rode that well.
    I sold that bike (regretably) and a while ago I got my hands on another and it had a Pushed RP3 which was very very good but not as good in my eyes as the coil. The DHX Air my first Spot came with was crap – the deadest feeling shock I’ve ever ridden. I honestly couldn’t get on with it even after Mojo did a service on it. So that’s my opinion anyway 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Turner HL 5-Spot – Shock choice question…’ is closed to new replies.