Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Turbo trainer specific tyre… worth it?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

For the road bike. Noticed the tacx and conti ones on CRC. Anyone use one? Much benefit over a non turbo specific tyre?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i trashed my normal tyre pretty quickly on the turbo – now bought a turbo one. should last years.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Think they just don’t wear out as quick?

I just bought a bargin bucket one from my LBS- dont see the point of spending big money on a tyre that I hopefully ( asuming the weather imprves) wont (have) to use much..

PaulD
    Free Member

Not convinced it’s worth it.

I ran a normal rear tyre on mine for years…until I retired and stopped needing to turbo train when raining.

Edit: TT tyre was old and hardened so does not run hot.

PaulD

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Any old tyre will do the cheaper and harder compound the better, I’ve got an old Bontrager Lite tyre on my turbo wheel it has done 1000+ miles and it’s holding up fine.

mudshark
    Free Member

old Bontrager Lite tyre

Me too and has been fine. I know people who do trash tyres quickly on turbos so very wasteful, mine don’t get hot so that’s part of the reason I guess. I wonder if these Bontragers do better as have a tougher strip down the middle?

spacemonkey

I’m running a Taxc (MTB) on mine. Seems fine so far. If you have a spare slick and want to save pennies then give that a go. But if you need to buy a tyre anyway, then why not just opt for TT-specific one? Can’t see the point arguing over a couple of quid for the sake of something that definitely lasts.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think that strip is the key to it’s longevity.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheap Conti Cityride with a solid centre ridge seem to be lasting well enough for me, although I don’t expect I put that much power through it 😳

njee20
    Free Member

I found it was quieter and slipped less as well (Conti), I’ve actually got a basic road wheel (Sora on MA3) with it fitted which I don’t use any more, if anyone was interested? Wheel and tyre have done about 100 turbo miles and nothing else!

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got one, but I think any tyre that you’re not then going to use on th road would be ok. I used to use my normal road tyre, but it got very slippy and hard very quickly, was a death trap on the roads

stumpy01

Schwalbe City Jet works fine on my Tacx….

instanthit
    Free Member

Speak nicely to your LBS, if you are a regular, and they will probably give you an old tyre thats kicking around out the back. Has worked for me and have never needed to buy one. (should mention that i have spent ££££££ over the last 20 years in LBS!)

sputnik
    Free Member

Be careful when selecting one though, Conti one did not make enough contact on a mates TACX turbo, but the TACX one he ordered in its place did.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all. Plumped for the tacx one. Bit more expensive than the conti one but sputniks comment makes me think it might work better with my tacx turbo. And it’s blue 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Always used a cheap halfords jobbie on mine,it lasts for years……

bigdawg
    Free Member

ive had the conti turbo tyre on my trainer for three or four years now – used at least once a week year round, looks like its still got life in it.

Prior to that used to use old road tyres, used to last me two months max, and theres nothing worse than getting 50 mins into a 90 minute race simulation and puncturing…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Too late now but I’m using a Vittoria one from Merlin as it was less than £20.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well put in my CRC order for one yesterday afternoon and it’s just been delivered. Amazing!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer specific tyre… worth it?’ is closed to new replies.