Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Triathlon Rules
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

A few of us from work are entering a sprint Triathlon in the summer and 2 of the girls are thinking of using bog standard MTB’s instead of road bikes as that is all they have.

They are not looking to win, but do they have to have road bikes for the cycling section?

turin
    Free Member

I hope not and I doubt it. I have entered a novice triathlon and am planning on using my older mtb with slicks on it.

wellhung
    Free Member

you can use MTB, bike just needs to be roadworthy.

Can’t use a recumberant though

Carpediem
    Free Member

I saw a list of the ‘Rules . . a great deal of measurements on there but nothing of any ‘type’ of bike.

cheers all!

keegs27
    Free Member

As stated you can use a mountain bike. Ive done a few sprints and there were plenty of people using them. If you are not a regular cyclist then the lower gearing offered on a mountain bike will likely help you if its a hilly course. Just make sure that you dont take your bike off the rack until you have your helmet on and dont take your helmet off until your bike is racked. Otherwise you might get disqualified.

adeward
    Free Member

I have done a few triathlons and help at a few local events Blenhiem etc

your mountain bike will be fine in all events except ellite and national junior where thay allow drafting ,, for those i think the bikes have to be uci legal also means the tri bars cannot be longer than the brake hood

at Blenhiem the only check the bikes get is that the handlebars have bungs on the ends

have fun go and chase them roadies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon Rules’ is closed to new replies.