Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Trek Remedy 8 broken again
  • drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Just finished a four day stint in the 7staines riding centre’s at Innerleithen & GT. Brilliant routes with great friends.

Last ride of the weekend this morning, 1/2 way down the red at inners and I discovered my Remedy 8 had blown it’s main pivot bearing again! The bearing has completely collapsed, the swing arm is worn away where the washer has pushed into it. Most frustratingly this is the second time this has happened. It first ocurred 3 months into owning the thing and now for the second time only 6 months into owning the bike. Has anyone had similar problems with their Remedy?

Pauly

Sorry to hear that mate. I have had my suspicions about the durability of the new Treks, mainly down to the advertised weights of them.
    They are meant to be good re warranty though

phildowling
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that mate. I have had my suspicions about the durability of the new Treks, mainly down to the advertised weights of them.

🙄

mmm really cos 30 lbs of bike is so brittle…I’m guessing the Remedy in question gets used quite a bit as he’s just finished a 4 day stint at 7 stanes.
    drunkenmonkey- Go back to your dealer who will speak to Trek and they’ll offer a great warranty back up as always :D.

I’ve not come across a similar problem and we’ve sold a few and Trek have sold loads.

duir
    Free Member

Ha ha you bought a Trek.

But seriously I had a look at their latest downhill all singing all dancing we can get it down to 32lbs model. Check out how thin the metal is then think again. I remember when Trek was Americas answer to raleigh, now everyone thinks it’s the cheese ‘cos it’s trendy. Look closely.

If you really can’t afford a Cove then a Santa Cruz or Intense will be okay.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I see the bike snobs are out again.
    🙁

snakebite
    Free Member

I can afford pretty much what I want, but I’m going to get a Trek 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Are you really though ?

iamtheresurrection

Always love it when the bike snobs/idiots think that SC, Intense or Cove have more money to spend on R&D than the likes on Trek, Specialized or Giant…

Trek was NEVER the US’s answer to Raleigh – that would bew Schwinn. I haven’t owned a Trek for a while, but their early carbon stuff was ground-breaking – long before the rest of the industry caught up.

rOcKeTdOg

trek have awesome dealer network and warranty, can you say that for SC, intense etc? no (silverfish who used to import Cove (not sure if they still do) were excellent when i broke my handjob)

snakebite
    Free Member

yes I am….just need to try an EX….

duir
    Free Member

It’s just too easy sometimes isn’t it? 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow duir, that’s impressive, no really. 😐

trekcol
    Free Member

Drunken Monkey- pop the bike back to the place of purchase with your sales receipt. Trek will offer the Wide Stance Bearings at a very heavily subsidised price (not under warranty- as we know they wear out!).The shop can also look at the swaingarm to inspect the damage- no idea what washer you mention as there is none on the main pivot…

Thanks

Colin – Trek

racing_ralph
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

I see the bike knobs are out again.
    [:(]

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Mmmm….

Not sure how any of that helps but it makes for entertaining reading. Wheelbase are being good and will have a look at the bike, as you would expect. Most likely a warranty on the bearings although I don’t want to prempt their response.

Appart from the obvious problem the bike has been really good and a quick search last night didn’t reveal any obvious threads on bad experiences so I will reserve judgement for now.

Not sure there is really any point in buying from a smaller company like SC Cove etc, I’m not trying to single handedly shore up the american economy by buying a £2000+ fram

twohats
    Free Member

I’m guessing the Remedy in question gets used quite a bit as he’s just finished a 4 day stint at 7 stanes.

Eh! You mean its been used for its intended purpose! I didn’t realise there was a maximum use limit imposed on new bikes?

james
    Free Member

“Eh! You mean its been used for its intended purpose!”

The remedy is an ‘all-mountain bike’, not just a trail bike. Surely the remedy is more than a match for any of the stanes trails?

Nick

stuff breaks but will probably get fixed under warrenty shocker!!!!!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

trekcol (Colin Knell i presume) has already said. Take the bike back to place of purchase and get them to do a heavily subsidised fit of the Wide Stance Bearings (Whatever they are). If it is that guy i believe he’s head honcho for Trek Warranty UK. You get upgraded bearings for cheapo price.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Drunken Monkey- pop the bike back to the place of purchase with your sales receipt. Trek will offer the Wide Stance Bearings at a very heavily subsidised price (not under warranty- as we know they wear out!) The shop can also look at the swaingarm to inspect the damage- no idea what washer you mention as there is none on the main pivot…

Colin,

Not sure myself, it looks like some kind of washer but may simply be the outside of the bearing. What are these wide stance bearings you’ve mentioned?

P

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Be interested in discovering what they are too.
    7 months on my Remedy 8 so far and it’s still sweet as a nut 🙂

Biffer
    Free Member

Its fair enough saying take it back and Trek with deal with it but the point is the bike has broken twice with the same problem in a short period of time.

If this different type of bearing sorts the problem then it sounds as if it should be fitted as standard not at a reduced price. Yes bearing wear but surely not 2 sets in 6 months or are Trek using cheese bearings ?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Trek will see you good. Just get the place you bought it from to sort it.

trekcol
    Free Member

wide stance bearing is what we have fitted to all suspension bikes- main pivot since 2007 season. It has an extended inner race so supports the axle better. There is no

w

bearing, just we replace the originals that have worn out/given up/failed, for a very heavily subsidised price to keep Trek riders happy with their Trek bikes…only applies for original owners, via the place of purchase.

Biffer- thanks for the comments- but we are confident the bearings are good, just sometimes bad things happen, luckily though we can sort the issue out quickly via the Trek dealer. We stopped using cheese in bearings in the nineties, the smell was too bad in Wisconsin- and they are used to cheese!

ta

Biffer
    Free Member

Trekcol – good reply, good to hear that you stopped using the cheese !

Pauly

mmm really cos 30 lbs of bike is so brittle…I’m guessing the Remedy in question gets used quite a bit as he’s just finished a 4 day stint at 7 stanes.

I was talking about the Session Phil; thought I’d seen Trek advertising the weight as about 33lbs, but not sure. And as I said they have a good warranty so chillax man.

As for being a bike snob, I have a Marin! 😉

duir
    Free Member

Always love it when the bike snobs/idiots think that SC, Intense or Cove have more money to spend on R&D than the likes on Trek, Specialized or Giant…

I prefer to think of myself more as an idiot than a bike snob. I had to learn to be an idiot the hard way and have been one of the masses sold a big manufacturers all singing bike that turned out to be absolute rubbish. That was a long time ago and now maybe I am a bike snob but not for any good reason other than I am bitter. I ended up with a couple of Coves not just because they are cool but because the ride is incredible, they are very reliable and they survive Scottish winters.

As for big manufacturers putting more money into it well I will take my hand made and designed in BC by riders bike anyday over a super shiny latest big name bike that does not deliver and can’t survive Scottish trail centres.

james
    Free Member

What bike was it that you thought rubbush?

phildowling
    Free Member

Dirt built a 33lb Session 88, Pro team issue is about 33lbs as well but that gets rebuilt and serviced alot!…

Lots of bikes are around 30lbs now.

duir
    Free Member

What bike was it that you thought rubbush?

Sworks Enduro. Absolute garbage. 4 rear shocks on warranty and constantly failing bushings. Utterly useless in the Lakes where I lived at the time. I thought it would be the ideal bike….I was wrong.

Pauly

Phil, I reckon a low 30lb DH bike is going to be “brittle”.

phildowling
    Free Member

Look we could argue all day long..but i can’t be bothered. If you build stuff out of quality components you could have somthing lightweight and not brittle..done.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can happily afford whatever the **** I want. My current shed includes a Giant, a Spesh, two Scotts, a Marin and a Fisher. I have them as they were the best for what I wanted, without wasting money.

Take your brand snobbery and shove it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

If you read any other of duir’s posts you get the picture about him pretty quickly. I think he must be a riding god too.

And his “It’s just too easy sometimes isn’t it? plus creepy smiley” comeback was lamer than lame.

Pauly

Sorry Phil, but we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. There is no way that a DH bike built to low 30lbs is going to be durable. It’ll be shagged after a season.

Brittle

for sure.

“Strong, Light, Cheap – Pick 2”, ring any bells?

jimw
    Free Member

I would just like to say that my dealings with Trek over frame warranty issues have, after a small misunderstanding to start with which led to a delay sorted eventually by my LBS and dealing with Colin direct, been excellent- we have ended up with a solution that I am very satisfied with = one happy customer in the end

duir
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I can happily afford whatever the **** I want. My current shed includes a Giant, a Spesh, two Scotts, a Marin and a Fisher. I have them as they were the best for what I wanted, without wasting money.

Take your brand snobbery and shove it.CaptainFlashheart – Member

Take your brand snobbery and shove it.CaptainFlashheart – Member

Take your brand snobbery and shove it.

ChunkyMTB – Member
    If you read any other of duir’s posts you get the picture about him pretty quickly. I think he must be a riding god too.

And his “It’s just too easy sometimes isn’t it? plus creepy smiley” comeback was lamer than lame

Oh dear my sarcastic and overly dry sense of humour has upset some of the more sensitive viewers. I am now racked with self doubt and regret. It is truly amazing that you can asses my personality type by a few posts on an mtb website. Some of these posts are actually more dry and sarcastic responses to posts by close personal friends, a sort of “in joke”. The rest are sensible questions or informed answers.

To give you some background to my “if you can’t afford a Cove….” line. I was in a well known Scottish MTB shop last week that told me my Cove was “ok but you really need to get the new trek.” “We also can get santa cruz and intense if you don’t want the trek.” As if to say my Cove was crap. I looked at the trek and whilst they have tried to make it look as pretty as possible I couldn’t help but feel they were simply pushing this years fad. Suddenly lot’s of people are riding a bike make that was not trendy a few years ago due to marketing spin and good advertising. With wafer thin metal and unreliable working parts, how chuffed will riders be in 6 months?

Sorry I upset you both.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ve upset anyone, why would you have? Giving yourself too much credit.. again. So basically we have the answer now. You went into a shop and the salesperson hurt your ego because they were pushing a product they sell and not blowing the sunshine out of your backside because you own a Cove.

Lame comeback V2. Come on you can do better.

wiiija
    Free Member

The treks are hardly “this years fad”, their rated well due to being damn good.
    I’m happy to admit I’ve been a bit of a bike snob in the past riding various boutique brands, but after numerous test rides at the end of last year I settled on an EX9 and dont regret it one little bit, infact I cant get enough of it!

With regards to the OP, its clearly not great that you have this problem but at least you know it will get sorted due to the great warranty.
    All manufacturers have issues. Their is a guy on MTBR who has snapped a few remedy’s, he’s a pretty “hardcore” rider though to say the least and even after the breakages he still wont change bike, I think that says alot for the ride! 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I think very few people have actually ridden a Remedy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Trek Remedy 8 broken again’ is closed to new replies.