Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX & WSD sizes?
  • DPM

Hi guys & gals,

I'm toying with the idea of looking at a Trek Fuel EX8 as a bit of a XC bike, but the age old problem is what size would be good option? I’ll obviously see where I could try one out but wondered if anyone had any experience, I’m torn between a 15.5 mens, or the 15.5 or 16.5 in the WSD (I am female after all!).

I’ve never had a WSD bike before & am probably not their ideal customer as I have not got a traditional ‘female build’ (I’ve pretty short legs & longer body than your average girlie I guess). I’m about 5’4”. I also don't like the upright riding position some of the WSD frames seem to have, but from what I can see Trek's may be a bit longer & more stretched anyway.

Anyone any experience?

thanks

DPM

Anyone?? 😉

special
    Free Member

The Treks are longer this year than last, new lady in charge of the WSD program apparently.

How tall are you? What's your inside leg measurement?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DPM

Pleased to hear that the Treks are longer this year.

I'm about 5'4" and have inside leg of 29"
    (told you I was an odd shape 😉 )

Dalesbikecentre

DPM

At 5'4" the WSD version will probably be a better fit than the 'non-WSD' EX8. You could be best suited to the 15.5 or 16.5 WSD difficult to say without seeing you on it. Trek tend to fit a relatively long stem to what we think makes the best riding position/feel, so the larger WSD frame with slightly shorter stem option worth exploring. We've got the 14.5" and 15.5" WSD bikes in our demo fleet that you are more than welcome to come and try.

Drop me a line if you have any questions

Stu @ Dales Bike Centre

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I demoed a 15.5 WSD EX8 last year, and last year the men's and women's geometry was identical – it was only the colour and contact points that differed. So it'd definitely be worth checking out if that's the same case this year.

I'm also 5'4" (though have slightly longer legs and shorter body than you). I definitely wouldn't have gone for anything bigger than the 15.5" in fact, had a gone for the EX8 (I opted for a men's 14" Orange Five in the end) I may have gone for the 14.5" as I like small chuckable frames, and the 15.5" was on the longer side for me. I definitely wouldn't have contemplated going for the 16.5" though.

I'd definitely recommend trying one like you said, but based on my experience and your measurements, I reckon the 15.5 (from last year at least) would be about spot on.

Hope that helps?!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Btw, I demoed it for two separate weekends, so did get a pretty good feel for the geometry…

DPM

Thanks guys – really useful advice. I'll drop you a mail Stu and thanks Mountain Monkey. An Orange 5 is also on my shortlist, but seeing as we already have a house full of Oranges I fancied trying something different (rather than looking a bit twee when we head out!)

Sounds as though the 15.5 WSD or 15.5 mens would do it. I do like a shorter stem & wider bars though so I think a test ride or two is on the cards.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Pleasure DPM. My hubby has a Five too, so we did look a bit special out on the trails – but who cares when you're having that much fun! I've had to sell mine since, but I can just about manage on his 16", so it's not too sad!

The Trek is a good little bike – I did enjoy it. Just didn't have the same grin factor as the Five. Suspension does work very well though. Probably climbs a little better than the Five too, but on the flats and downhill the Five was awesome fun. I'd definitely recommend trying both as they're very different bikes really. For me it's the Five without a shadow of a doubt!

Anyway, enjoy trying them out!

Diane
    Free Member

I'm about your height and have just purchased a 15.5 – wouldn't have thought you'd need any bigger (But then my other bike is much smaller)

helsbels
    Free Member

I have the 15.5 2009 WSD – I didn't like the short top tube on other WSD bikes but this just has different kit (Grips/smaller front rotor/saddle etc.) but same frame geometry.

The 2010 the geometry between WSD and 'normal' EX8's is different so best read the back of their catalogue to work it out.

If you are around Milton Keynes you can have a test on mine 🙂

judy-rockshox
    Free Member

Sounds like a 15.5 is about right for you. I am 5ft 2ins with a 28in leg and I got a 2009 WSD EX8 at a fantastic price in Jan (£1300!) It's a 14.5 and nice and compact. I must be one size below you.

I have a 15ins Pinnacle for sale as I find the top tube a little long as it's not female specific.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX & WSD sizes?’ is closed to new replies.