Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

FFS, been sat here in my shorts 50 mins now waiting to crack on with tonights turbo but the boy is still not asleep. Got 90 mins to do so looking like a 10pm finish now 😡

Just popped on the Scosche Rhythm+. A few rides in now and like it as a HRM. Wraps around the lower or upper arm and uses an optical sensor. Does BLE and ANT+. Rechargeable. Seems reliable. Works fine with TR on the Mac over BLE.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Isn’t that what a baby monitor is for 😆 I just put sweajnr down for his sleep and head to the turbo. Then unless it sounds like WWIII is beginning he’s on his own…

whitestone
    Free Member

Just done the 8-min FTP test. FTP has gone up by a mighty 1% !! (FTP/Kg of 2.78) At least it’s gone up, I was slightly concerned that it would fall as my legs have felt somewhat dead over the last week or two.

mrblobby
    Free Member

sn’t that what a baby monitor is for

Well really hate having to get off the turbo to go sort them out so usually wait till I know they are asleep. No 1 looks to be settling but No 2 is up now. Arse!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Ah. I’m “lucky” in that sweajnr goes down fairly easily and doesn’t stir for a couple of hours at least. Just so you don’t think I get off too lightly though he does like to wake up at 5am.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ha, I’ll put up with a little getting to bed shenanigans for a fairly reliable 7am wake up! Anyway, turbo job done now. Couple of unexpected little rosettes for my efforts too, which is nice 🙂

Haze

Back on track tonight, Mills…held/exceeded target on all Vo2 max intervals 🙂

gray

I’ll be doing an FTP test at the weekend. Is it weird that I’m looking forward to it? I’ve bumped up my FTP setting manually by about 5% since the last test 5 or so weeks ago, but I’m quietly confident of wanging it up a bit higher on the test. I’m really enjoying this structured training lark. Thanks in part to you lot and reading threads like this. So thank you all. I hereby dedicate my forthcoming victory* in the Etape to you all.

* victory = hopefully not getting swept up or taken to hospital

mrblobby
    Free Member

Haze, sounds like you deserve one of these 🙂

Gray, go smash it. Don’t forget the sick bucket.

everyone
    Free Member

Had a bit of a disappointing FTP test tonight, I’ve done 3 tests now, an 8 minute and two 20 minute tests. Tonight’s test was a 20 minute and gave an FTP of 177W which was a drop of ~2% when compared to the 8 minute test (181W) that I did at the start of the low volume sweet spot 1. FWIW the very first 20 minute test gave me an FTP of 171W so it was an increase of ~3% when comparing like for like.

The question is should I stick with the newest FTP and accept that I need to work on my endurance power or should I go with the old FTP (bear in mind that I completed all sweet spot exercises)?

Apologies if I’m rambling slightly. FTP tests hurt don’t ya know!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d just stick with 181. Give it a week or so and if workouts scaled to that FTP end up being too hard then knock it back down a few watts. It’s a field test to give a fairly rough estimate of the power you could sustain for an hour, it’s not going to be super accurate.

Kryton57

everyone – what MrBlooby said but I refer you to my post on the prior page which explains what happened to me when I tried to outguess TR this year.

If you are finding things to easy or hard at the set FTP you can always increase / reduce the workouts effort by a few % on the front screen to compensate mid plan. I did my last two workouts prior to yesterday’s FTP test at 102%. Turned out to be quite accurate guesstimate of my capable effort with a 2% increase in FTP shown.

gray

Also (going only on common sense and limited experience – I’m not an expert at this stuff), 2% is absolutely naff-all in terms of measurement precision for something like this. I am very sure that lots of factors like recent sleep, recent exercise, recent eating, time of day, mood, caffeine intake, recent challenges to your immune system would all combine to induce much more than 2% test-retest variability on a measure like this. Some of these can be controlled, some not so much, of course.

In practice we’re not going to do 5 FTP tests over a couple of weeks and take an average, so I think the whole “listen to your body and tweak over subsequent sessions” is the best answer. The only difficulty is knowing how hard it’s supposed to feel. I’ve done a few lately where I’ve thought “Well, the instructions seem to imply that I ought to be struggling to finish this. I’m definitely working, but could definitely be working harder.”, but I wasn’t really sure whether the instructions were taking that tone just to make weaklings feel better! 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

After a few when pacing has been sorted then an 8-10W change seems pretty significant. FWIW I seem to remember that basing FTP on 20m tests alone is one of the FTP sins. No doubt fine for basing TR workouts and measuring change but not really a true measure of FTP. That said there is no way I’m going to do an hour FTP test.

whitestone
    Free Member

@kryton57 You can also go in to your profile page and update your FTP there on a more permanent basis.

jam-bo

2% is absolutely naff-all in terms of measurement precision for something like this

[pedant]accuracy, not precision. it is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong. [/pedant]

mrblobby
    Free Member

FWIW I seem to remember that basing FTP on 20m tests alone is one of the FTP sins.

Really what you’re getting from the 20 min test is a current 20MP (assuming you have pacing etc. sorted.) FTP is 60MP and we estimate it based on a percentage of 20MP (which may be ok for some and probably sufficient for most needs.)

What you’d likely want is a power profile of your MP for various duration and have workouts tailored based on that. E.g. Kaiser (3 min intervals) would be based on a percentage of your 3 minute max, not a percentage of estimated hour power based on a percentage of a 20 minute test power.

gray

2% is absolutely naff-all in terms of measurement precision for something like this

[pedant]accuracy, not precision. it is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong. [/pedant][/quote]

Hmm, depends on what you think I meant, really. Worded poorly, I’ll grant you, but what I meant was that 2% is a small fraction of something that will inevitably have a great deal of intrinsic variability as well as measurement error, and hence the precision to which we’re stating things (when saying something like “my FTP changed from 181 W to 177 W” ) is too high considering the accuracy of the measurements. I agree though, that I could / should have just said “2% is absolutely naff-all in the context of the measurement accuracy for something like this”. 🙂

Kryton57

It is useful if compared to a past test with exactly the same variables though.

Kryton57

My new TT helmet arrives tomorrow. Now for fit and scientific purposes I could wear it during my TR session couldn’t I?

😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

look at 2% increase meaning you maybe plateaued, time to try something new, or increase volume

gray

It is useful if compared to a past test with exactly the same variables though.

It’s definitely useful to do these tests and compare, of course, and useful to try to control the variables as much as you can. However, some of the variables can’t be perfectly controlled, and I strongly suspect that the consequence of that is more variability than +/- 2%. So all I’m saying really, is that seeing a change of e.g. 181 W to 177 W should be interpreted more as “no significant change” than “OMG, my FTP is going down”. As dirtyrider said, maybe that suggests making a change if a marked improvement was expected.

Kryton57

In my case and in retrospect it wasn’t, and in happy with the gain. I’ll be doing 6x6min at my new ftp tonight so I’ll be able to gauge from that hoe right I am.

I do however “feel” pretty fit aerobically, and will find out how I measure up during Sunday’s race. Fwiw Strava’s “fitness and freshness” has me above March 2015 when I started this season, but below August 2015, albeit bear in mind I was racing weekly during that period. So I reckon I’m in a pretty good place bearing in mind I’m approx 16 training weeks away from my first 2016 race proper.

One thing for sure is that my current recovery rate is remarkable. Even after the ftp test it took 2 hrs to feel a even a slight dull ache in my legs, which was gone by the morning. 12 months ago I’d be writing off the next day for anything involving my legs. I’m guessing my ability to process lactate has improved?

stevious

I seem to remember that muscle soreness isn’t thought to be caused by lactate any more, rather small amounts of muscular damage.

You’re just more ‘ard than you used to be.

(Or maybe better at hydration/nutrition?)

barrykellett
    Free Member

2% is well within the daily variability of any power meter? I certainly wouldn’t stress over it.

I also wouldn’t be changing my FTP unless it was at least a 5w change.

Kryton57

Ah well, we’ve gone from trainer-roads calculations to Internet warrior based advice. All I know is i had best follow one of them consistently.

stevious

About the 2% thing – I don’t think I’d manage to hit within 2% the target power for an interval on TR on purpose. Are folk able to do this?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Are folk able to do this?

Usually within a watt or two… I am a machine 😉 (e.g. last turbo)

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m getting better at it, unless the drills have you doing gear/cadence changes or similar then typically for an interval up to FTP I’ll vary no more than 10 Watts from the target and my average for the whole interval will be within 5 Watts of the target.

I find it takes practice and pedalling smoothly rather than chasing the power.

rsvktm

Palisade today. That was hard.. Don’t tend to do the longer lesser efforts on the turbo, as get plenty of other miles in, so that’s me off the turbo for a week for recovery until Sweetspot part 2.
    However got to do some working out backwards from my first event next year to decide on next step and if to skip that. Although I do find the more sprint biased intervals from the xc plan relatively easy so maybe I should keep doing the sessions I don’t like and are not particularly good at.
    After all the talk about FTP increases I’ll be interested if I’ve had any, find out in a week 🙂

everyone
    Free Member

Enjoy your week off! I’ve just started sweet spot 2 so its Ebbetts for me tonight.

mrblobby
    Free Member

After all the talk about FTP increases I’ll be interested if I’ve had any, find out in a week

Reckon after Palisade you should have a pretty good idea with it alternating between riding just above and below threshold.

Kryton57

Well that went ok. 6 X 6 min OU’s at my new FTP which trainer road lost but strava captured luckily, I felt so good I did the last two at 102% and 103% respectively.

rsvktm

I will enjoy the week off the turbo, just need to not do too much other riding as well..
    mrblobby, I was well away from max HR and no issues with HR climbing so maybe there is some uplift but not sure what is normal for these sweetspot sessions as this is the first year I’ve used a turbo properly. I’m on the Trainerroad team so the sessions are there and I have been having a look to compare but everyone’s different.
    It was just hard from a mental standpoint, I am trying to change from being very sprint orientated to more endurance so the longer sessions are not normal and at mid forties it’s taking its time to change 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

Gah! ****!!

Just noticed that I’ve had the resistance set two stops higher than I’ve set in Trainerroad – idiot! 🙄 The power characterisation curves show about a 50% difference. I don’t know how long it’s been like that. Meant to be doing Ebbetts tonight, I think I’ll see how it goes and just adjust the SW for this session and do another FTP test at the weekend.

ferrals
    Free Member

I just did ebbets, struggled to spin up in time on the sprints though. Was meant to do FTP test on Tuesday but felt ill, figure I’ll switch it for whatever I’m meant to do next tues – three days real riding now!

jam-bo

Whitestone – email TR support, they can and generally will fix it pretty quick.

everyone
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed ebbetts tonight. It was nice to be told to smash some sprints!
    Although, saying that I kind of wish that those sprints were a little longer, 5s isn’t that long to wind things up.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

First spin after nine days off with fever/cold . Felt good , rested actually . Thing is how will I feel tomorrow .

stevious

Just did Elements of Style on the rollers followed by TBTITW on the turbo. Trainerroad makes sufferfest better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.