TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions

Home Forum Bike Forum TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions

• This topic has 3,101 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by  gray.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 3,102 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • monkeyfudger

Dumb arse phone…. Double post.

Well looking at your graph, you either trained too hard, of the FTP setting is too low

I know you’re talking sense but i just don’t want to listen because i don’t want to do that bloody test again so soon. 🙂

As for training too hard. I don’t have anything specific that I’m training for at the moment, other than delaying winter laziness as long as possible so overtraining isn’t such a problem. I tend to go as hard as I can as often as I can and if i’m feeling a bit knackered I’ll have a rest. That’s the luxury of doing this purely for personal gratification rather than having targeted goals that need a little more care not to overcook it.

monkeyfudger

Hahaha what a fanny I am! Installed this, got it set up and then went for the 20 min test! Not been on the rollers since December 2012 so it was a shaky start, struggled to match the power and keep a decent cadence but started getting there (it’s always harder on the low speed stuff eh) 5 min power went well, pretty much what I thought it was, really struggled with the heat in the 20 min effort and then fell off the rollers with about 4 mins to go!!! Urgh! Shouldn’t have but sacked it off and deleted the file in disgust at myself. Need to get myself a fan pronto! Perhaps not the best time of day to be attempting this kind of thing….

Haze

Ha, that last 5 minutes is hell…hanging on and desperately trying to keep the effort going knowing there’s not long to go…can’t wait for my next update…

legolam

Just noticed a new “teams” feature on Trainerroad so I’ve set up a STW team…

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/156-singletrackworld

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Can someone point me towards some info on what basic kit to start measuring my workrate, and how to get it all talking to each other? I have a Tacx Bluemotion magnetic trainer.

Just noticed a new “teams” feature on Trainerroad so I’ve set up a STW team…

I’m in. Will post up my first team ride this afternoon.

Martinhutch; you need a sensor to pick up the data, something along the lines of the garmin speed and cadence sensor which attaches to the bike and a USB dongle to plug into your computer to transfer the data in real time to the trainerroad software. There’s a few different makes of USB dongles available, I use a suunto one because it’s very small and can be left plugged in to my laptop. Some people use a USB extender cable so that the dongle can sit on the floor and closer to the bike sensor, this is to avoid data dropouts and unwantedpauses in the signal but I’ve not really suffered with that so haven’t bothered. I don’t remember there being any real hassle to setting it up just followed the instructions

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Cheers MW

Haze

I’m in 🙂

legolam

Of course, I have no idea what the team thing means, I just like being part of one 8)

Good idea, I’m in.

Currently on a three week rest period then 2014’s training starts, coached as well…

mrblobby

Having a bit of a break here too, though mostly due to toddler and work induced tiredness. Not a bad time though to have a few days off though.

Chef, how you working the coaching around the trainer road sessions. Are you going to try and find sessions that roughly match what’s on the plan?

Are you going to try and find sessions that roughly match what’s on the plan?

That’s the plan, I haven’t gone through TrainerRaod and matched each session exactly, there are a number that do match and the others I’ll create the sessions and post them here.

monkeyfudger

I’m in! First session done, only fell off the rollers once haha! Still getting to grips with the power meter as I’ve not been able to ride outside with it due to a gubbed Garmin.

It did not help that the Mrs decided to come through (for moar **** wine) at the end of the first 8 min effort and start pissing herself at me!!

Haze

Struggling a bit at my new FTP, shaking like a shitting dog again tonight!

Is it worth sticking at it as something to aim at, or should I nudge the bar down a touch?

Personally I’d stick at it, couple of weeks and you’ll be all over that ftp line. just don’t beat yourself up for not nailing it straight away, its all part of the process.

Alternatively if you want to be a bit more structured about it you could lower the intensity using the percentage arrows down the bottom left of the screen, maybe take it down to 90% then up it by one or two percent each ride until you’re back up at 100%.

Haze

Yeah I tried that on earlier workouts, okay if I’m tired and feel like an easier time of it (as opposed to not bothering at all) but otherwise feels like cheating!

I’ll slog it out a bit longer…

Not cheating if it’s part of a plan. 🙂 I’d do 5 sessions 90%, 92% etc till you’re back up at 100% then a couple of weeks at 100% then start building again at 102%, 104% etc.

Haze

That may work out nicely, I was planning on sticking with Sufferfest stuff to keep ticking over until New Year.

Could use them to ramp up then maybe the intermediate build.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

First session tonight. Very impressed. Paired really easily with the PowerTap. Can’t remember which session I did. Will use it again though.

mrblobby

Back on it tonight after a bit of a couple of weeks off. Had a go at Gayley. TBH I didn’t really look properly and thought it was a sweet spot when it was actually threshold.. bit tougher than I’d planned! Still felt good to start training again.

A tip for anyone struggling a bit with winter. I’ve stuck one of them SAD light boxes near the trainer. Think it helps.

monkeyfudger

Well that was a complete **** of a workout! Too many things conspiring to irritate me maybe….got my Garmin back so decided to stick it on the bars mainly just as I was curious about L/R balance but also so I could see my power output while hanging my head due to patheticness!

Noticed immediately that it was dropping data packets from the power meter all over the shop, then my memory kicked in and I realised it needed a pretty hefty update, still, what an utterly disappointing product!

Really struggled to hold a power steady power output tonight, not helped by the laptop also deciding to stall a couple of times, had to get off pause the workout and restart, once dragging the workout from 25 mins too an hour!

Seem to be really struggling with serious ball/cock numbness on the rollers too which is strange as the bike is lovely on the road?

(Bloody hell, what a moaner….)

What’s going on with the ‘private member’ setting blades 2000. That’s not really in the spirit of competition and ritual humiliation.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Just about to go and give Slide Mountain a go for some sweet spot goodness. Much above 10 minute intervals and I struggle even more with boredom!

Couldn’t make my mind about what to do this evening so decided to do whatever the person before did, which turned out to be Carson, a 60 minute sweet spot session. Quite liked it, it wouldn’t have been a session that I would normally have chosen but I’ll probably do it again sometime.

monkeyfudger

Man I hate anything longer than an hour! Emerson tonight, felt alright actually, long/intense enough to get heart going but not so much for proper arse breathing!

mrblobby

First session in a while after a very poor November (I’m putting it down as a winter break 😕 ) Gave Slide Mountain a try after a quick scan of this thread. Did them all low cadence, need to re-adapt to high cadence again! Probably need to knock intensity down a bit while I get back into it too.

My power meter gave up after the first session (flat battery probably) so I switched to virtual power. Not tired it properly before and it was interesting to not see pedeling style causing fluctuations in power, not a surprise I guess as it’s on wheel speed and it all gets smoothed out.

edit: Also read about a new tour of sufferlandria in Jan, may schedule that into the plan. Who’s in? 🙂

First session after three weeks off.

Gray at 94% of FTP whilst watching some CX on the laptop, hard but manageable, although in a spooky coincidence with mrblobby my PowerTap also gave up so I had to guess the final 9 minutes, so ended up doing 1 * 20 followed by 1 * 17.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Just did Sufferfest Angels, was pretty straightforward until the last interval, which was utterly brutal! First time I’ve done Sufferfest vids With the power targets overlaid.

monkeyfudger

You not joining in the geeky STW club Njee?

Did Tyndall the other night and I was ruined, hardest I’ve done so far. Need to get a proper turbo as I can’t get enough Watts on the rollers without (what feels to me) crazy high cadence.

IanMunro

Just did Sufferfest Angels, was pretty straightforward until the last interval, which was utterly brutal!

😀
    At that last interval I normally end up muttering FFS at my legs/PC and making various strained noises combining grunting and swearing.

Standard issue Grey again today, 2 * 20 at 94% of FTP, last 6 minutes were a quite hard work.

Haze

Back on it next week…

Epic Red Wing for breakfast, a good solid hours workout, recommended.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

You not joining in the geeky STW club Njee?

Yes I will do! Anything to motivate me a bit haha!

At that last interval I normally end up muttering FFS at my legs/PC and making various strained noises combining grunting and swearing.

It’s the little accelerations – can hit the power, but find it drops off when I settle back down again!

mrblobby

Thought I’d do some easy spinning to get back into it. Struggling a bit with intensity right now so just did a couple of hours of Free Ride at around 65% FTP and a decent cadence. A bit mind numbing but not as bad as I thought it’d be.

Must sign up to the geeky club.

Edit: I’m in! Username is Hefin.

Created a new session tonight to match what was in my schedule.

Progressively Gray:
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/31197-progressively-gray

Nice take on the standard Gray, recommended.

Sweet Spot warm up
    20 minutes at 94% of FTP
    3 minutes at 110% of FTP
    1 minute at 133% of FTP
    8 minutes recovery
    16 minutes at 94% of FTP
    3 minutes at 110% of FTP
    1 minute at 133% of FTP

monkeyfudger

Interesting, didn’t realise you could make your own workouts, just been sent a workout that I’d have had to just follow on a bit of paper/zee Garmin. May aswell recreate it on Trainerroad, is it easy enough to do?

Yeah pretty easy, you can start from scratch or clone and existing workout.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 3,102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.