Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • legolam
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m a moron. With sore legs this morning.

I just didn’t realise there was meant to be another line on the graph with power output – I thought that, as it was my first time, that would appear once my FTP was calculated after the test.

It’s a bit scary that someone’s letting me do a PhD…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Funny, nice one legolam.

Next time you’ll nail it, it is worth it. promise 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Gray today, or 2*20, hard hard work, dropped 10watts average on the second lap.

Watched the following:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvhodgCAxmI#t=5165[/video]

bob_summers

Really tempted to try this. Facing my first winter on turbo in years, new baby means I can’t get out midweek (in daylight) and it looks like my trainer is supported (Tacx satori) although I don’t have a computer which runs Windows or OSX. I’ll see what I can cobble together…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Colosseum today, thanks to muppetWrangler for the suggestion, (exactly why I started this thread), 90 relatively easy minutes whilst watching Koppenbergcross
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DeiNAQAVao[/video]

bob_summers

Which ANT+ stick are you using? The ones recommended by Trainerroad are 40+ quid, but then I found this one on ebay for 25€ shipped, which, from what I can work out, is the same thing as the one on amazon. Both have part number 010-01058-00.

edit: The amazon photo is incorrect, you just get the small one according to the reviews.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yup that’s the one I’m using, works perfectly.

MarkSS
    Free Member

Another newbie here looking to give TrainerRoad a spin 🙂

bob_summers – Member
    Which ANT+ stick are you using? The ones recommended by Trainerroad are 40+ quid, but then I found this one on ebay for 25€ shipped, which, from what I can work out, is the same thing as the one on amazon. Both have part number 010-01058-00.

edit: The amazon photo is incorrect, you just get the small one according to the reviews.

Does it depend upon what Garmin cadence sensor & HRM you have? Mine is what came with a Garmin 500 kit.

So would the above ANT stick work with Garmin 500 sensors?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

As long as they communicate using Ant+ to the head unit then the usb stick will also pick them up. Note that the sticks reads the sensors not the head unit.

So yes that stick should work.

bob_summers

OK thanks, I’ll give it a whirl then. Was a bit suspicious of it being half the price!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Colosseum today, thanks to muppetWrangler for the suggestion, (exactly why I started this thread), 90 relatively easy minutes whilst watching Koppenbergcross

Try changing the percentage setting from 100 to 115-120% and it takes on a whole new character.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah I bet it does! However I’m trying not to leave my form on the rollers at the moment, only 4 major races, including the nationals left now, so just trying to tick over.

Give it 4 weeks and I might take you up on that.

bob_summers

Just noticed Strava seem to have struck a deal with Sufferfest. What’re the odds that they are developing TR style virtual power functionality for premium account holders? 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

Beehive for me today. Might try Perkins/ colosseum next time I want a longer session.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

However I’m trying not to leave my form on the rollers at the moment, only 4 major races, including the nationals left now, so just trying to tick over.

Sounds like a plan.

If I want it to be proper testing I set colosseum up so that the 4 or 5 peaks are just about on ftp.

This afternoon I went against all sense and did the 2 hours free ride session. First 30 minutes were like a machine, the next 90 were more like a yo-yo.

kentos1978
    Free Member

Much the same as has already been said for me; mix of grey, Starr king and Sufferfest. Definitely noticed an improvement over the year, ftp is up about 10%.

I use a suunto movestick, £30 from amazon. GarmIn didn’t make a smaller ant stick at the time so this was quite good for the laptop. I also bought a 3m USB extension (few quid on ebay) in an effort to prevent signal dropouts.

In the end it was the btwin speed/cadence cutting out. Replaced with a garmin now, which has been faultless. The extension still improves the signal though so just drop it on the floor under the trainer.

The yearly fee has also been a bonus.

legolam
    Free Member

Well, I did the 8 minute test again today (properly this time!). I took the advice of getting a USB extension to prevent the ANT+ signal cutting out, and it seemed to work. I remembered to take water and didn’t wear my thermals, but forgot the towel again 😕

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/461656-8-Minute-Test

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Great stuff, glad its working for you.

Did Gray again tonight, backed off a little from the recommended numbers but did the first 20 @ 100 rpm, and the second @ 90, so that made it interesting.

As did the Zondhoven race
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGGk-rIOnnE[/video]

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Did my first TR session of the winter this morning with the iPod for company.
    I went for the 8 minute test to see where I’ll be starting from and the result was ok. Nothing spectacular but at least it gives me something to work from.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/460955-8-Minute-Test

thomthumb
    Free Member

i eas planning on doing a test this week but missed the opportunity tuesday. I feel way too knackered to do a test tonight

so which 60-90 minute session to keep me ticking over until i can test at the wkd.

anything like colosseum but around an hour?

crankman
    Free Member

1) No matter how cold my garage is, it’s a mistake to do the session in the thermals that I just commuted home in.

This is always a problem for me – you go to a freezing garage knowing you will be boiling hot and dripping with sweat at the end. Last winter I did some when it was freezing and ended up having to wear a merino vest to keep the chill of the icy air being blasted at my face off my chest a little.

Sure it’s not good for you. Character building though. I decided one of those remote control sockets is the answer so 10-15 mins in when you have warmed up you can switch the fan on, cheaper than buying a remote controlled fan.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use the shed too, looks very odd when there is snow everywhere, minus degrees, and I’m sweating like crazy wearing bibs, gloves, and no top!

Did Sufferfest’s Revolver last night, still loving the integration with TrainerRoad, 16 minute sprints off 1 minute rest, lovely!

so which 60-90 minute session to keep me ticking over until i can test at the wkd.

As suggested Colosseum was good for a variable 90 minutes of training, the others mentioned are more “session” based so less group ride feeling, although there nothing stopping you do Sufferfest Angels without the film, as that’s quite a varied session.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Only had an hour to spare this evening so did FIN, knocked out a 15min PB along the way.

FIN

legolam
    Free Member

This turbo trainer is an instrument of torture!! The pain!!

Did my first proper workout, following the Sweetspot Base programme. I’m not sure you’re meant to do these after doing a 25 mile round trip commute, but it sure didn’t feel good at all. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning’s commute…

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/466464-Gayley

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bit of a training blip for me this week, toddler and work related knackeredness to blame. Did manage to squeeze in a midweek Kaiser. First time since a hike of a few watts in FTP setting. I came very close to vomiting immediately after the final interval! Hopefully get back on it properly next week.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Some good training going on here.

Think you need to increase your FTP setting muppetWrangler!

Haze

Had a couple of weeks at my new FTP setting, must have been on form when I tested because the elevated efforts are killing me!

Sticking with the Sufferfest vids ’til Christmas then it’s onto Intermediate build 1…

gazhurst
    Free Member

I did my first TrainerRoad session on Wednesday…I did the 20min FTP test coupled with the ‘Rubber Glove’ Sufferfest video.

I’m not sure what to make of the FTP score….does anyone know what an average score is so that I know whether to be embarassed or not?

MSP

IMO unless you have a calibrated power meter, then the FTP in trainer road is only for measuring your personal improvements. Completely pointless trying to compare it to other peoples figures.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Would these workouts be suitable on rollers? Don’t have a turbo but do have rollers with a resistance unit and a power meter, standing is obviously not possible on ’em so wondering how often the workouts call for full on honking outa the saddle?

Haze

Gaz, you can pretty much ignore the value in relation to someone else’s.

The software will use it to scale your workouts, you can use it to compare progress on later tests.

Consistency of set up is key, in all likelihood you’ll get a much different value from using a different trainer.

At least I hope so, my figures seem quite low compared to many others!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Would these workouts be suitable on rollers?

All my sessions are done on rollers, no excuses there I’m afraid 🙂

instanthit
    Free Member

First time for me last night; did the 8 minute test which produced interesting results, maximum heart rate was lower than i expected, but will be good working with power input, (the purple dancing spots in front of my eyes at the end of the second 8 minutes were fun).
    Will be intersting to see any results in a couple of months. Does anyone use the training plans or do you make your own up using bits of theirs?
    Last year was the first time i used proper interval sessions on the turbo all year round and think it defintitely helped, so with a bit more structure im hoping to improve again.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Lads … whats the red line on the right head display?

Is it my HR or target cadence (I know the yellow line is my cadance)

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

standing is obviously not possible on ’em

Standing on the rollers is easily do-able.

davetrave
    Free Member

Would these workouts be suitable on rollers?

All my sessions are done on rollers, no excuses there I’m afraid

Aye, but for those of us who’re relatively new to rollers/inexperienced on them and ride like Bambi on ice…!

Does the 8 min test or Rubber Glove require absolutely smashing it? As it is, I’m comfortable remaining upright and a nice steady pace but think that really pressing on or honking might result dislocating my shoulder and breaking my elbow again…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Think you need to increase your FTP setting muppetWrangler!

Not again! I’ve only just upped it from 260 to 283 about a fortnight ago after redoing the test. I’m gonna give it another couple of weeks at least before I think about upping it again. I use the programme as more of a rough guide, treating the blocks as a minimum allowable effort.

I think there is an element of getting conditioned to time on the trainer. I’ve definitely made some general gains but the difference on the trainer is more pronounced than the difference on the road. Feels like I’m maybe 20% better on the trainer whereas on the road the improvement is probably a little less than 10%.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Does the 8 min test or Rubber Glove require absolutely smashing it?

The 8 minute test is horrific and does require everything you got, it’s a proper beasting. I would have said that there was every chance that you’re going to lose some form in the last couple of minutes of each 8 minute block.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Standing on the rollers is easily do-able.

Easily? Really? Come on, you’re being a bit silly. It’s doable but not when you’re hanging out of your arse and it’s sketchy at best.

Cheers all, will probably give this a whirl tonight and try the 30 day trial.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

muppetWrangler

Not again!

Well looking at your graph, you either trained too hard, of the FTP setting is too low 😕

Agree that there isn’t an instant increase on the road/trail, but improvements come over time via consistency.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.