Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Train to the Alps
  • Chew
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of traveling by train with bikes down to the Alps?

Seems easy enough, just take off the wheels, put it in a home made bike bag, and carry it onto the train.

Is that it or am i missing something?

uplink
    Free Member

Getting across Paris with luggage is a bit of a pain
    Also London [depending on where you start from]

grumm
    Free Member

Not done it with bikes but have got Eurostar then connection to Bourg St Maurice before – I found it a pretty civilised way to travel really.

Agree about getting across paris though actually – might be a hassle with a bike bag.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I've had guests come to the Basque Country on the train. Seemed very civilised and dead cheap too. Bike in a bag, no need for excessive padding and it went in the normal luggage area. The Paris metro was apparently very easy but it's pretty cheap for a taxi if you don't fancy that. I don't know about the Alps but we're about 4.5hours from Paris and it's a big distance (we're right at the end of the TGV line) so I guess the Alps can't be that much longer.

mrmo
    Free Member

from london to Paris and Paris to Lausanne is easy and quck, might not be cheap but that is something else.

getting to London, and across Paris are different stories.

having done geneva to Verbier with bike i know it is easy on the train.

stevomcd
    Free Member

The change in Paris isn't too bad. You have to get from Gare de Nord to Gare de Lyon. They both have Metro stations, so there's not too much walking required. Would have to check which, but either the night train for the Alps (leaves from Gare d'Austerlitz) or the normal train (Gare de Lyon) is slightly more awkward – better to take the RER than the metro.

Train takes you to Bourg Saint Maurice, from where it's very easy to get to Les Arcs or to us in Sainte Foy.

al2000

Done Martigny to Geneva by train with bikes, which was easy and a nice journey to boot.

Never done the full UK -> Alps trip by train, but it's something I'd really like to try sometime.

luke.ellis
    Free Member

stevomcd – thats exactly the reason chew as asked about trains. we are planning to come see you after all the good things we have heard about you. just putting some plans and budgets in to place then will be in touch to make a booking.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Why not drive in a van.You can split the cost between whoever goes and it can be done in ten to twelve hrs.

Chew
    Free Member

Yes i've looked into the van option, but hireing one isnt economical as there's only two of us at present.

No problem in driving down in my 106. Two bikes go in the back with a bit of care, but the costs are comming out similar + more hassle.

Drive down from Leeds (6 hours to Dover), and another 9 to the Alps. When i factor in petrol, tolls, extra insurance, ferry/tunnel the numbers very similar.

With the train i dont knacker myself out with 8 hours of driving, roadworks accidents etc

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Is there a reason you can't or won't fly? Or just
    looking at alternative? I've looked into going by train (and yeah I reckon it would be a nice way to travel – great views etc) but have always found it way more expensive when all added up. I'd just fly to Geneva, Stevo pics you up in the van with a cooler full of drinks, then a couple of hours pleasant drive up into the Alps.

Looking forward to riding with Stevo again next year 8)

Chew
    Free Member

No reason not to fly, just warry of the bike arriving in one piece.

How easy is it to pack up the bike to fly with?

It it just a case of removing the wheels, pedals, rear mech, removing the air from the forks, and rear shock, packing it up with a bit of foam, and poping it in one of those clear plastic bags?

allthepies
    Free Member

Mates of mine have done the train thing which involved lugging bike bags through the Paris Metro at rush hour to change trains. "Never again" was their verdict on that part!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

For years I used a cardboard bike box from my LBS, just pack it the same way a bike is packed from the factory. Although now I have a proper bike box. I always phone whatever airline I'm flying with to confirm that I'm taking a bike, also check in as soon as you can. I've taken bikes all over the world with no real issues. It's not a stressful as you might imagine – obviously make sure you have good insurance for piece of mind.

Are you off to the White Room? If so you're in for some cracking riding and hospitality. The thought of Iona's homemade cake is making me dribble right now.

DavidM
    Free Member

Would you nessecarily need to keep your bike in a bag/box? or could you just take it on as a bike? Was thinking of doing some kind of alpine point to point this year, and it would solve the 'what do I do with my bike bag' problem. I guess you could just ride across Paris as opposed to taking the metro aswell?

Mackem

How about the bike bus? Never tried it but looks canny.

http://www.bike-express.co.uk/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Train to the Alps’ is closed to new replies.