Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Towbar trauma
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

Right, after several years of being utter toss, the Micra finally died. Found a nice second hand Vectra at a Vauxhall dealership (near my mother’s, rather than local to us), which I’m picking up tomorrow. It all came at an awkward time, as we’re heading to the Peaks first week in May, so need a towbar fitted. On Wednesday, after double-checking they’d received the insurance certificate (needed to tax the car, they said they’d got it) I asked the dealership if they could fit a towbar, and they said they’d check and asked me to phone back.

So I phoned back a while later, explained who I was, which car I was buying and when I was picking it up, and they said that they could order the part in, but they couldn’t get it fitted. So I told them not to bother, I’d get it fitted locally. So yesterday I ordered a towbar and fitting through Witter.

This morning I get a call from the dealership, saying that I needed to get the insurance certificate, and that the towbar was being sorted today. Oh dear. I explained that as I’d been told that it couldn’t be done, I’d already ordered elsewhere. The dealership said they’d already got it up on the ramp, installed the electrics and started drilling, and suggested it was my fault as I didn’t ask to speak to the manager when I phoned back to check. I’d naively assumed that by explaining the situation, giving my name and the vehicle details that people would know whether it was getting it fitted or not.

So I phoned Witter, who won’t let me cancel my order – apparently it’s already dispatched, so I have to pay a £18 carriage fee and £23 admin fee. Am I within my rights to ask the dealership to pay for these costs?

plant
    Free Member

They're just as likely to take it off ….. and none too gently …. so you will have a car with holes and a towbar still to fit ……

Can you recover most of your costs on Ebay? At least minimise the £41?

geoffj

Distance selling regs – you may have to pay for the return postage, but there should not be an admin charge.

EDIT: I assume you ordered it over the phone or on the web. Advice here: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returns-and-refunds/

wwaswas

it'sd unfortunat but, as above, they can't charge you a restock fee and have to refund postage too.

falkirk-mark

I would ask the out of expenses be deducted from the dealers bill because you cancelled the work with someone in their organisation (because they could not do it in time). Then they went ahead and done the work anyway. Ask them to point out their sign that says any work you want to cancel needs to be discussed with the manager.

steveh

If they person you spoke to at the time didn't tell you that you must tell a manager then tell them to cough up. They weren't denying you called and cancelled just that you told the wrong person, which if true they should've told you when you rang them.

Alcopop
    Free Member

yep get the dealership to cough up for it,if youv'e cancelled the work
    and they have have carried on regardless it's there fault also id get Witter to explain this £23 admin charge
    just found this on Witters web site

5. Returns of items
    5.1 We hope you will be happy with your purchase. However, should you feel it necessary to return the order; you may cancel the contract for its purchase by contacting us within seven working days of delivery of the item to you. You should then return the relevant item to us in secure packaging to C P Witter Ltd, Drome Road , Deeside Industrial Estate, Deeside Flintshire CH5 2NY.

5.2 Return of an order is required to be in accordance the return procedure as detailed on our website.

5.3 You will be responsible for the cost of returning any item to us unless the item is defective or we have delivered the item to you in error. The item should be returned to us in its original condition. If we do not receive the item back from you we may arrange for collection of the item from you at your cost.

5.4 If any item is returned not in its original condition , including unopened packaging ,we reserve the right to impose a handling charge which will be deducted from the refund payment .

5.4 When we receive notice of cancellation of your contract for any item, we will refund the price paid by you for that item or at your request if the item is defective we will repair the item or supply you with a replacement item. We will not refund the delivery charge for sending the item to you unless you are returning the entire order.

6. Cancellation and changes prior to delivery
    You can cancel or change any of your current orders prior to dispatch by contacting us as soon as possible.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Towbar trauma’ is closed to new replies.