Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tough lightish 29r wheelset……………..ideas?
  • ton

whats a good strong lightish 29r wheel combo………..
    to carry 20stone.

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

Hope Pro IIs on Halo Freedom Discs, 32 spokes, 15st, no issues – but I don’t know what ‘air’ is.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

16st on Hope Pro 2’s with Flow rims.

ton

who did the build please fella’s?

epicsteve
    Free Member

There is an American Classic 29er wheelset now – if it’s as good as the 26er one then it’ll be worth a look.

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

LBS in Rhondda in my case – guess that doesn’t help you much!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Freeborn Horsham Sussex

thejesmonddingo

Ton,I buy my wheels from Just Riding Along,in Oughtibridge near Sheffield.I reckon if you got them to build these http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=7262 with Flow rims and a heavyweight front hub,you’d have a cracking set of wheels at about 1650 grams.
    Ian

TooTall
    Free Member

Halo or Stans Flow rims, 36 spokes if you can get them. Hubs – as much as you can afford or as DH / burly as you want.

ton

found em now.
    billy’s has loads.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve had Salsa Semi’s built up with Hope Pro 2 hubs. Great rims which come with welded seams and pretty light too at 500 grams. And look great and classy in black.http://salsacycles.com/components/semi_29er_disc/

bedmaker

Flows on Pro2 with DT comps. Wide enough for nice big tyres, tough, light.
    Built by me 8)

Gordos are nice too but a bit heftier.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

bedmaker, fancy building me some SS wheels ?

bigsi
    Free Member

Stan rims on I9 hubs. The straight pull spokes mean you can build em with mor tension so making em stronger…. apparantly!

tk46hal
    Free Member

And me!
    How much for decent 29er rims and hope pro 2 hubs for a S/S project?

Moda
    Free Member

ton

billy’s bikes have loads of 29r rims
    and loads of good quality tougher type hubs.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Edge carbon rims? Strong but light. Not cheap mind.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I built Flows (32H) on Pro 2s and they are pretty stiff for my 14st frame but I would deffo go 36H for a big strapping lad like you Ton 😉

Stan rims on I9 hubs. The straight pull spokes mean you can build em with mor tension so making em stronger…. apparantly!

The limiting factor on spoke tension is the Stans rim itself, you are supposed to build them to a max of 100kg tension on the spokes, but I found I needed a little extra to get them the way I wanted.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Bontrager Rhythm 29er wheels that are tubeless ready, pitched as all mountain wheels not XC. They are in good nick and I’m open to offers :mrgreen:

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m running mustangs on Pro2 with no issues, 32 hole as well, built with crap spokes

they even survived a crash that wrote off a swift

doof_doof
    Free Member

Run a Hope singlespeed hub so you get a dishless rear wheel. You can still use use 7 cogs from a 9sp cassette on the SS hub. Makes for a very stiff wheel build.

MrTall
    Free Member

I had a set of XT hubs built onto Flows rims, 36h rear, 32h front. Seem like a nice set so far and certainly seem strong.

Also still have a 36h new/unused Flow rim in black in the garage which was just being left for the future but i could be tempted to part with it?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tough lightish 29r wheelset……………..ideas?’ is closed to new replies.