Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • tough 700c wheels
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Spokes keep snapping on my road bike! I suspect the weekly trips to sainsburys are taking their toll on the wheels.

Can anyone reccomend a strong 700c wheel?

Currently thinking of planet-x model c or finally getting a wheel truing stand and building one myself properly.

i've no local bike shops really, nearest is 10 miles away and a pain to get to.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

campag scirroco

seem to be bullet proof and Ribble are seling them for a silly low price

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

a touring wheel? then swap in your light weight wheel when you want to train / ride unloaded

firestarter
    Free Member

speak to spa cycles at harrogate they will sort you out

Waderider
    Free Member

I've got a nice set of Mavic Open Pro Ceramics on Hope MTB hubs hand built by my local wheel crafting emporium.

I'm a luddite, I can't entertain these pre built wheels, even spangly high end efforts……..

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

went for a 36 spoked mavic open pro on tiagra hub in the end from parkers

can't be bothered with wheel swappage etc.. Problem with a touring wheel is they seem to be designed for bigger tyres and i've got some close clearance full length mudguards on.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Touring wheel with a Mavic rim. I run a Mavic A3?? on a shimano dynamo hub on my do anything bike with a 700×25 Vittoria Rubino and mudguards, works OK clearance wise.

If you're snapping spokes regularly then consider a new wheelbuilder, they shouldn't break that often!

firestarter
    Free Member

ive open pro on my cx and have banged it all over and its been fine also have them on the road bike. great rims .

weeble
    Free Member

American Classic Hurricanes or failing that Ambrosio Nemesis rims onto a hub of your choice

Garry_Lager

I got a couple of touring wheels for my tricross built by the aforementioned spa cycles and they are spot on – shimano hubs of some sort with sputnik rims.

solarider
    Free Member

Handbuilt without a doubt. Ambrosio Excellence rims on whatever hub meets your budget.

Ambrosio are always stronger pound-for-pound vs Mavic.

I have a set of Excellights (the lighter version) on my winter bike, a set of Nemesis (super strong, the benchmark rim, but tubular only) on my CX bike and have run Excellence in the past. Great rims. Not as flashy loking as a set of factory builts, but generally lighter, stronger and more easily repaired.

No matter how I equip the rest of my bikes, I always use handbuilt wheels. They are completely bespoke, and the sum of the parts is usually better than the factory built alternative.

coopersport1
    Free Member

My Ultegra wheels are taking a serious pounding at the moment, my 15st and horrendous roads around me and they haven't budged. A few times I've thought ooouuuuccchhh that's a new wheel pothole I've just hit!

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I use Mavic speedcity wheels on my commute. Pretty bullet proof

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘tough 700c wheels’ is closed to new replies.