Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,165 total)
  • Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC
  • sands
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I’m sure you posted that picture…

You may find this useful

joat

mitsumonkey – Member
    I bet sky are already writing a new contract for him

This will be the Beeb’s fear, no doubt. If they were clever, they might have written a clause in his contract that would prevent him from doing this. Although Sky could probably afford any penalty.

bigjim

I’m sure its just another marketing stunt.

nealglover
    Free Member

If they were clever, they might have written a clause in his contract that would prevent him from doing this.

When you consider he used to own Top Gear before selling the rights to the BBC, I think he pretty much wrote his own contact and told the BBC to sign it.

project
    Free Member

JC SUSPENDED , NOT CRUCIFIED like his namesake who shares the same initials.

He will rise again in 40 days, allegedly.

just5minutes
    Free Member

how can the BBC “suspend” him when he’s not a BBC employee and is in fact paid pay and rations by the production company that he himself owns?

mefty
    Free Member

BBC bought the production company out a couple of years ago so i think they now own the rights to the programme including I guess who presents it

MSP

How long is it since they did the reboot, about 10 years?

I quite liked the mix they had before the reboot, and for 4 or 5 years afterwards but it died it’s death quite a while ago, the constant use of offence to score cheap publicity is dull and repetitive. It is in desperate need of a refresh again.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bad News is Good News eh..

Queue up for vilification and finger wagging, pleads for the show to be aired on Sunday and the Beeb “giving in” with just one more “final warning if..”

Etc.

Etc.

martinhutch

BBC have backed themselves into a corner on this one. They’ll have to do some spectacular wriggling and backsliding to avoid sacking him over this. I wonder how much they’ve paid for a production company that will have a much less valuable product from now on? Clarkson will head to Sky and take the team with him.

<wildspeculation> So, presumably he thumped someone, if my reading of BBC news releases is still correct?</wildspeculation>

Drac

milky1980
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Bad News is Good News eh..

Queue up for vilification and finger wagging, pleads for the show to be aired on Sunday and the Beeb “giving in” with just one more “final warning if..”

Hardly, the filming happens on a Wednesday (tomorrow) so no time to get it ready. Guest (Linker) has been cancelled, audience won’t travel there and not enough time to re-arrange.

I reckon it’ll come back in a fortnight with a guest presenter until it’s all been thrashed out, finish this series with CLarkson then go to Sky.

edlong
    Free Member

If they were clever, they might have written a clause in his contract that would prevent him from doing this.

Can only be done to a very limited extent – restraint of trade and all that (or, for footie fans, see the Bosman ruling).

legend
    Free Member

I suspended by Friday, great vieweing figures on Sunday, everyone gradually realises this is just a clever advert for the show*

*possibly

project
    Free Member

Radio times, reporting he punched a producer last week, and got reported this week.

DickBarton

Bit like Angus Deacon and Have I Got News For You – sacked but guest presenters actually made it much better…

andytherocketeer

It’s all or nothing.
    Any presenters other than the present trio makes it pretty much 5th gear level of entertainment.

Binned Sky TV a year or so ago. Might have to re-sub. Only thing of interest left on BBC will be BBC4 and a halfarsed attempt at F1.

Harry_the_Spider

From the Radio Times

The penultimate episode of the series was due to air on March 22 and has been replaced by a documentary about the Caribbean featuring Simon Reeve, at 8pm

That’ll send viewing figures through the roof.

Why does the BBC insist on shooting itself in the foot? it is a non story broken by them.

enfht
    Free Member

I wish everybody would stop criticising Clarkson. He is a nice man. When I was eight he fixed it for me to milk a cow blindfold.

wilburt
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    How long is it since they did the reboot, about 10 years?

I quite liked the mix they had before the reboot, and for 4 or 5 years afterwards but it died it’s death quite a while ago, the constant use of offence to score cheap publicity is dull and repetitive. It is in desperate need of a refresh again.

This..and some female presenters please.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I feel quite sorry for Jeremy Clarkson getting suspended; it’s total discrimination against talentless bellends.

wwaswas

Star in a reasonably priced fracas.

cookeaa

I suspended by Friday, great vieweing figures on Sunday, everyone gradually realises this is just a clever advert for the show*

More than likely…

Have the figures for this series not dropped off at bit?
    TBH I think there’s only so manytimes they can stir up faux controversies to bump the viewing figures before the target audience, ape loses interest…

12 years isn’t a bad run, time to let it die off slowly now IMO, maybe let them do the odd Christmas special, the other two have their side projects and Clarkson can do the odd program on Brunnel and guest on QI… One more series and it’s going to be way past it’s sell by date.

Harry_the_Spider

Tweet from Tom Green, a producer on BBC 5LIVE

Top Gear pulls in 150m in revenue for the BBC. That’s three times 5 live’s entire annual budget.

Why would the BBC kill it off?

allthepies
    Free Member

His phone will probably be ringing off the hook just now with offers from other channels.

slidewinder
    Free Member

Maybe he phoned some old bloke up and told him he’d shagged his granddaughter – worked for Russell Brand!

kimbers

I’m sure Rebekah Brooks will be tweeting her support

I’m still surprised he’s only 54 ive seen him a few times round noting hill and he looks way older than that!

martinhutch

Tweet from Tom Green, a former producer on BBC 5LIVE

FT etc

andytherocketeer

Have the figures for this series not dropped off at bit?

viewing figures have been pretty much static at 6-7million for the last few years. some shows a bit more, some a bit less.

was actually surprised, given the number of threads on every single internet forum every monday about the previous night’s show.

martinhutch

The penultimate episode of the series was due to air on March 22 and has been replaced by a documentary about the Caribbean featuring Simon Reeve, at 8pm

Prats of the Caribbean?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Not really. It’s just a joke. You know, like on Top Gear. [/quote]

Top Gear rarely made personal attacks like that. But you know, it’s fine, but you don’t like him. So carry on.

scotroutes

bigjim – Member – Quote
    I’m sure its just another marketing stunt.

Well, it certainly rhymes with that.

Harry_the_Spider

Shame he didn’t punch the producer of Call The Midwife too because that is what we are doomed to watch on a Sunday evening for the rest of time.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Top Gear rarely made personal attacks like that. But you know, it’s fine, but you don’t like him. So carry on.

Hey, I said it was a joke. Don’t get offended.

jimjam
    Free Member

All the “films” will almost certainly have been shot already. They just need to do the links. It shows how little they think of the others that they won’t be allowed to do it without Clarkson.

RustySpanner

Let’s have a new format with Jane Omorogbe, Suzi Perry and VBH talking about….well, anything they like really.

I like James May.I
    Dunno what I think about Hammond, he’s a bit Sid Little really isn’t he?

racefaceec90

they should replace him with sabine shmitz.

someone who knows what they’re talking about and can drive like a demon.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Rusty spanner , oh yes please
    Not seen vbh on telly latly

Northwind

sands – Member

You may find this useful

Hey, just because my joke wasn’t funny doesn’t mean I don’t have a sense of humour! It’s a rubbish one obviously but it does exist.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Hey, I said it was a joke. Don’t get offended.

Not offended, but you’re missing the point. It’s different to say your a **** and people who use STW are ****.

Clarkson said a lot of stupid and offensive things but he didn’t often (that I can remember) target specific people.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,165 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC’ is closed to new replies.