Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,165 total)
  • Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t see why it’s not possible to make a slightly different light hearted car based entertainment programme with a different set of presenters.

It is possible, but it will very likely not touch the popularity of the old show. The beeb might well be happy with a less successful show if they make it too safe. Especially if the old lot go and start up elsewhere.

sadmadalan

The chance of Top Gear appearing on another channel is unlikely. The BBC own the format and as such it would need to be significantly different to stop any legal issues. The ‘old’ format was sold to C5 and appears as 5th Gear

Any advertisers are likely to be very careful with a programme on a commercial channel since part of the ‘charm’ as having a go at car makers – Vauxhall and Peugeot come to mind.

The current format is tired anyway, Clarkson and Willman have said on many occasions that it does need to be changed and relaunched. The current series has just reinforced that viewpoint. All TV programmes reach an end of life and disappear

Clarkson probably needs the BBC more than the BBC needs him. He does have a successful career as an author and columnist, this is based on his Top Gear persona, take that away and this diminishes that aspect of his life.

I suspect that the money that Top Gear brings in to the BBC was one of the reasons that the inquiry took so long. How do you balance the commercial interest against the needs to show leadership against bullying and violence? If we look at this another way – what would have happened if the BBC had done nothing? The whole incident would have appeared in media slanted against the BBC because they did nothing. A middle ground of suspending him (possibly with a ‘fine’ and a public apology) was an option but still shows that there is one rule for a plebs and one for the talent.

Give this a year or two and we will all be wondering about what the fuss is about (except for the Murdoch owned press who will use anything to attack the BBC).

(Sorry for the drivel above – just needed to get it off my chest)

unklehomered
    Free Member

@sadmadalan

Well put.

aracer
    Free Member

It is possible, but it will very likely not touch the popularity of the old show.[/quote]

Maybe not. But I can’t see any reason why that has to be the case – there’s clearly a market to be tapped and it would seem unlikely that the current (tired) TG format is the only possible format which would interest them.

As has been pointed out, in order to keep the cash cow going it doesn’t even need to be as popular.

nealglover
    Free Member

Everyone keeps saying that it needed changing, it was tired, it’s had its day etc.

Last years series (22) had the highest ratings since series 13

And is only beaten in the ratings by 4 other series out of 22.

It gains more viewers than it loses, that’s what successful programs do.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I’ve watched and enjoyed the show, it’s been the adventured and challenges, like the 24 hr race one rather than the motorhome one. No reason why anyone else couldn’t present those. That’s all about the place or the task, not the banter.

Lifer
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

If he is convicted of ABH then this whole drama is now becoming so stooopid i.e. especially the law and the police trying to stick their nose into uncalled for event, that someone should firebomb those who start this sort of investigation.

Would imagine it’s more common assault than ABH, but the crime/time equation comes to mind.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There won’t be a criminal charge unless the producer makes a complaint which as far as I am aware he has not done.

nealglover
    Free Member

but the crime/time equation comes to mind.

That’s a bad equation to use, if there is no “time” to do 😉

Kind of sends the wrong message 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Cash cows are often at their most profitable just before they become obsolete.

jimjam
    Free Member

nealglover
    » Last years series (22) had the highest ratings since series 13

Helped in no small part by the “accidental” number plate issue making headlines.

grum
    Free Member

He hit him in the face and split his lip, requiring a visit to A&E.
    First bit I agree with totally. And thats inexcusable.
    The second bit however, it certainly involved a trip to A&E, wether it actually required one is debatable.

Well I’m sure you’d be the best person to judge, what with your intimate knowledge of the severity of the attack. There are people who’ve died from relatively innocuous-seeming blows to the head, but he probably should have paid more thought to the potential opinions of internet experts and ‘manned up’ eh?

project
    Free Member

More educational, Stephen Fry,= James May

More funny, Alan Partridge, =Jeremey Clarkson

More alternative,Rowan Atkinson = Richard Hammond

and a female Stig in Black leather

Now that would be intresting

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

and a female Stig in Black leather

What’s Suzi Perry up to these days?

EDIT – well whatever it is, it’s OUTSTANDING

nealglover
    Free Member

Well I’m sure you’d be the best person to judge, what with your intimate knowledge of the severity of the attack.

Nope. And I didn’t claim to be either.

There are people who’ve died from relatively innocuous-seeming blows to the head

Yep, occasionally that happens. And thousands of people don’t die from a bruised/split lip every year.

but he probably should have paid more thought to the potential opinions of internet experts and ‘manned up’ eh?

No, didn’t say that either.

I said it was “debatable” wether it was required or not.

grum
    Free Member

And thousands of people don’t die from a bruised/split lip every year.

To use our own favourite tedious debating tactic: where did I say that they did? I just can’t imagine how on earth you think you are in a position to judge whether a trip to A&E was warranted. It smacks of victim-blaming TBH.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What Grum says you seem to have adopted a style of insinuating he was a bit soft for his reaction then denying that this was what you were hinting at 😕

Everything is debatable when you put in “” . Could you just say whether you are or you are not debating it and if so WHY.

Agree with Grum here tbh.

nealglover
    Free Member

It smacks of victim-blaming TBH.

No it doesn’t. I made it VERY clear that Clarkson was to blame.

I think I used the word “inexcusable” when describing his actions. which certainly doesn’t leave any wiggle room for “victim blaming” does it .

It was said that the incedent “required” a trip to A&E

And I think that is debatable.

If it wasn’t Clarkson involved, and just some random person posting on here. I’m sure many people would be debating wasting NHS funds on a bruised lip.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Edit.

GTDave
    Free Member

32 pages?!

slowoldman

Erm…. Lee McKenzie? Now there would be a change in direction.

brooess
    Free Member

If the guy was being thumped by Clarkson for 30 seconds, Clarkson is clearly a very poor bully if all he managed was to split the guy’s lip.

30 seconds is a long time to be hitting someone and pretty shocking that anyone’s trying to defend Clarkson IMO, it’s really nasty stuff. If you get so stressed over the lack of a hot dinner that you end up beating someone for 30 seconds, you’ve got some serious emotional/maturity problems

aracer
    Free Member

Sure. On one side of the debate we have the chap who was involved and knows just how serious the injury was, on the other we have nealglover.

nealglover
    Free Member

pretty shocking that anyone’s trying to defend Clarkson IMO

Most definately not what I’m doing. Just so you know.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Out of interest how many people on here have?

On one side of the debate we have the chap who was involved and knows just how serious the injury was, on the other we have nealglover.

Ah, so we have a new standard by which the use of A&E can be assessed.

As said above 32 pages – how many if JC was not one of the parties involved? And “some say” it’s not about him!!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

EDIT: OH nice edit there THM to add on here to your post after my reply 😕 Thankfully ernie has your actual post up now. Nearly worked Now what would we say if AS did this ?

Shall we start with the PM and then make a list from there ? handily they actually signed one for us so should not take to long to work it out.
    To be fair many are preferring to turn a blind eye to it rather than defend him

@ neal We know, its the victim [ injuries] you have issues with 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Ok. I’ll just join in with the usual posts then.

The show was basically crap, nobody watched it. The BBC are going to be better off without it.
    It’s not as good as it was when it had less viewers. Etc etc.

Is that better 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Out of interest how many people have?

I haven’t read much of this thread, it was a generalised comment – mainly about the 1m idiots who signed the petition rather than anyone on STW.

Although, David Cameron did, if I recall. Bloody idiot getting involved!

The good news is, 39m adults in the UK DIDN’T sign the petition 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Out of interest how many people have?

Well it’s obviously hard to defend a violent thug and workplace bully THM, so you have done the next best thing – you have attempted to trivialise Clarkson’s violent behaviour dismissing it as a lot of fuss about not very much.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No I have focused on the excess hyperbole involved, very different things.

You have conveniently ignored (as if) the number of times when I comment on JCs behaviour and the result. How strange???

nealglover
    Free Member

@ neal We know, its the victim [ injuries] you have issues with

No problem with him at all. I think he’s exactly what you say. A victim.

And as I’ve said, clarkson deserved to be fired for what he did. And the other guy was not in the slightest bit to blame.

But I would say the same to anyone that told me they went to A&E with a bruised/split lip.

And I suspect, if Clarkson wasn’t involved, so would a lot more people on here.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t forget Neal, this is not about JC anymore!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ neal I only said that line to be funny.
    You may well be correct on that issue [ if it was not JC] many would agree [but not likely me or Grum] but it was pretty close to victim blaming/ minimising the harm.

A few seem to think the extent of the injuries [ or the lack thereof] is what makes it “less bad “/ ok – not you to be clear.
    THM never did clarify what “real ” abuse looked like for example.

asc73
    Free Member

i think may and hammond will walk so possible presenters…
    chris harris ex auto car been filming on youtube good journo
    steve parrish ,ex truck racer /bike racer moto gp presenter .
    guy martin popular not sure if he would fit in a presenting team.
    jamie whitam ,ex wsb rider now presenter for bsb ,very funny and a petrol head.
    jenson button when he decides the mclaren is crap
    a car mad comedian ,car expert who can drive a bit and an ex bike guy could be a good mix.
    not all of top gear is great but there have been many great shows(the british industry one and mopeds in china/thailand special.)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You have conveniently ignored ……

How strange???

I have focused on you trivializing Clarkson’s violent assault with comments such as : “A physical assault lasting……wait for it….30 seconds”

I have ignored your wrist slapping comments concerning Clarkson.

There’s nothing “strange” about that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed there isn’t. Very normal and expected.

nealglover
    Free Member

but it was pretty close to victim blaming/ minimising the harm.

Well, obviously I knew people would leap at the opportunity to play that card.

Which is why I prefaced the comment by saying clarkson was fully to blame and his behaviour was inexcusable.

But somehow that wasn’t clear enough to avoid the rush to accuse 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

You set a trap we jumped in is how I will view it ….sneaky 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m here all week.

Try the scampi.

aracer
    Free Member

Phew, thanks for that

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,165 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC’ is closed to new replies.