• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • too light to bounce!
  • bodger
    Free Member

my wife weighs 50kg and we have a hell of a job setting up forks for her,the trouble is that we can’t just set the sag as normal because they run too harsh,so we end up with up to 50% sag! would oil in the air chamber help?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

on my wife’s 66s we put negative pressure in to get sag. i just compressed the forks a bit with the valve open and closed the valve with them compressed

worked a treat

mrsflash
    Free Member

how much is 50kg in real weight?

I sent my shock off to Flooks to be tuned for my weight. [proud] I was the subject of a conference call with the USA becuase of it [/proud]. works a treat now 🙂
    PS weigh 8stone.

Lionheart
    Free Member

which forks are they?
    Sprog James, has raced for a few years and we have had similar pobs, neg air when you can, diff forks work better with lighter weights but best is when they are serviced let the guys know – both TF and Mojo have done great adjustments to James shox and forks. Also light tyres and low pressures work a treat for him.

oldgit
    Free Member

Interesting.
    I’ve written off getting correct pressure settings for my young lad, not sure what he weighs.
    And my wife at just a smidge over 7 stone suspension is useless.
    Tbh I fiddle with tyre volumes and pressures as that has more effect at their weights.

mrsflash
    Free Member

doh just read the post properly and realised you meant forks not shock. (is thick)

Erm, can’t remember how we fettled my forks, I’ll have a think. what forks are they?

glenh
    Free Member

The problem is not the spring, it the damping.

If you have air springs then 50kg is no problem, but if you don’t get the damping valved for that weight (or at least change for a lighter oil) it will always be harsh as it will be over damped as stock.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I weight a measly 56kg’s and have ahd the same issues, not sure what forks your running but heres a few things that help me out…

I’m running a few different det ups
    – Hardtail w. RS Reba’s the negative air chamber is by far the best way of getting the sag / plushness dialed. I’m running positive air as RS suggest negative air = positive air chamber + 5psi

– all mountain rig Fox Talas 36’s & Fox DHX 5 both run slightly lower than ‘Fox suggested’ air pressure, rebound set faster than normal, then higher air preassure in the bottom out bumper on the DHX

– 4X bike Fox Van R front & Rear – run with lighter springs [still to stiff for my weight] and slower rebound

Ben

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not sure damping will affect sag at all, sag is set static which damping should not change.

Dibbs
    Free Member

not sure damping will affect sag at all, sag is set static which damping should not change.

When running low air pressure the damping has to be reduced accordingly or the spring struggles to overcome the damping.

bodger
    Free Member

we’ve been using revelations and they were reasonable,but she’s pinched my dt exc150’s for the alps(on an orange 5) and I’m struggling,they’re either solid over small bumps@50psi or or supple but blowing through their travel@40-45psi,maybe they’re just sticking and need a service

Daffy

Use a lighter weight of fluid.

Daffy

If she’s smaller, then smaller forks should suffice as her impact force will be substantially lower and they should thusly respond better.

They’ll be easier to setup to her weight no?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

how much is 50kg in real weight?

Just under 8stone. So, lighter than you, mrsflash!

Less cakes for you… 😉

HackneyRider
    Free Member

Just under 8stone. So, lighter than you, mrsflash!

Put both feet on the scales Rudey…

mentalalex
    Free Member

54 Kg i am, I generally don’t have much trouble setting up forx, used fox’s Current ones, zochis and rock shox.

i have mine fairly plush thou, %35 maybe more

theotherjonv

Is it balls!

You all just need to eat some more. Mine work perfectly 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

Definitely the damping thats the main problem if you can set the sag ok but find it too rigid, but remember that with less mass behind the sprung mass then friction in the fork seals will be a more noticeable percentage of the force required to move the fork. Personally not sure I’d suggest an air fork for a lightweight person as I’ve never met one that was half as plush as a coil/oil open bath fork.

Swap out the oil for a much less viscous grade and try to get the forks bedded in with lots of miles.

bodger
    Free Member

how light is olive oil?

DrP

I’d agree – set the sag as per usual – i.e 25%. Adjust the air pressure for this.
    Then the ride quality will be down to damping.
    As has been said, you’d need to use a lighter oil as your wife’s light weight won’t be enough to ‘overcome’ the heavier oils, leading to a harsh ride (regardless of sag setting).

DrP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘too light to bounce!’ is closed to new replies.