Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Today I rode BOTH BHF london-to-brighton routes, on and off road!
  • DrP

Well, technically the road leg was brighton-to-london, but it still followed the BHF route!
    Then I linked Clapham common to Roehampton uni, and rode back via the off-road route!

An epic 132 and a bit miles 😀

It had been an idea for a ride for some time, and with route mapping software/gpx files etc, it was easy enough to send it all to my Garmin and follow the arrows!

The overall elapsed time was just over 12 hours – it COULD have been much faster if you so wish, but I was enjoying my day off, and had tonnes of coffee/photo stops (which I’ll upload later).

The weather was cracking, and TBH it’s only my knees that hurt a bit – my legs still felt fresh blasting along Hove seafront!

I’m not sure if it’s been done before, but it would be great to have it as a ‘known epic ride’, like the SDW etc..

Here’s the strava route:

I’m a bit tired now, but I quite enjoy writing up big rides (with pics) so will add to this thread/my blog over the next few days..

I can upload the .gpx routes for the whole thing if anyone’s interested?

Anyway – I’m off to drink wine and rub more sudocreme ‘in’…

DrP

theflatboy
    Free Member

Big ride, that – respect!

Could you put a link to the ride on Strava as well as the screengrab, I love a good set of stats!

Houns

Nice one, shall await the pix.

wwaswas

Well done DrP!

gogg
    Free Member

’nuff respec’

pictonroad

Mentalist…

neilforrow

mega bigup DrP. Nice route.

peteimpreza

Mentalist and can you tow me around on Sunday?

DrP

Link to strava.. let me know if you can’t see it…
    http://www.strava.com/activities/128891455

DrP

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Great idea for a big day out. Nice one

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice ride. Link to the blog and gpx would be cool when you have it ready.

So what bike for a Brighton to London to Brighton on/off road ride?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Good work! What bike was it on?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yay top effort!!

What a great thing to do on a day off. 😀

Superficial
    Free Member

No KOMs though.

brakes
    Free Member

nice one DrP.
    I did the L2B Offroad last year – hitting Beeding Hill after all those miles must have been a bugger?

DrP

I did it on my ‘kind of’ cross bike – it’s the bike I use for work and pootling around the village, but seemed the most appropriate.
    I’d love a dirty-disco or kinesis ATR Ti, but hey ho!
    It’s a Kona DrFine (commute bike really) with drop bars added..

Wow – the internet is working a bit quicker tonight, and Pics uploaded..

Enjoy!

DrP

singletrackmind

ouch .
    Just ouch.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

fair play and good pics, big ride that!

DrP

No KOMs, no.. 😥

I was going to try to smash my downs link KOM, but I was eating cinnamon rolls instead 😉

DrP

1-shed
    Free Member

A very good type of mental. Well done.

zbonty

Nice ride. Not done L/B but been eyeing it up as my old man lives there.
    Good to get an idea of terrain for off road bits too.

Nice to see a STWer laying putting in a good shift!

crazy-legs

Kudos (as they say on Strava…)
    Looks like a stunning day for it!

philjunior
    Free Member

Now you’ve got me thinking about suggesting buying a pair of cross bikes to my bro in Brighton…

muggomagic

Good work. Looks like a tiring way to spend a day off. Could have just sat at the fortune of war all day.

dknwhy

Great ride. One I’m tempted to have a pop at myself on my new CX bike. I’m in Croydon so could link up with the route quite easily.
    Any chance of a gpx?
    Could be one to email to the Self Supported ITT website:
    http://selfsupporteduk.net/%5B/url%5D

brassneck

You forgot to take the trailer bike attachment off, they’re about 5Kg!!

Arbitrarily award yourself a KoM on the route for this 🙂

tootallpaul

Nice! Chapeux DrP.

nedrapier

good work! will be nabbing the gpx for future reference!

Were you at SSUK last year? You look familiar!

racefaceec90

sorry fella but you’ll have to be going some to beat my 16 miles yesterday 😉

well done for doing that distance looked a nice ride too 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Great idea, well done! I personally couldn’t face all those road miles on my MTB, perhaps something a ‘cross bike really is ideal for!

Bazz

Inspired! You must have passed through my village on your way north (Crawley Down), this has definitely just gone onto my “To do” list.

DrP

Cheers for the comments..
    The blog is now up, and it includes the gpx files etc in that 🙂

Enjoy!

And yes, I was at Charlie’s SSUK thing last year…

DrP

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just seen this, jolly well done. I have done the L-B BHF Off Road ride a few times, and wouldn’t fancy turning round and coming back!! 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

dknwhy – Member
    Great ride. One I’m tempted to have a pop at myself on my new CX bike. I’m in Croydon so could link up with the route quite easily.

Don’t know if you’re an Addiscombe member dknwhy but if you fancy Croydon-Brighton and back, road only, then here’s the dates for the 2014 Captain’s Coastals, if organised rides appeals to you.

http://www.addiscombe.org/members/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=133038&sid=3512bdacfcbcb5ff0f5704598c3feec7

Well done DrP, and very nice pics 🙂

scandalous
    Free Member

Nice one!

My tripster atr ti frame arrived last week. Can’t wait to build it. First outing will be the welsh c2c in a few weeks.

That London Brighton London trip is on the to do list!

kcal

I love it when these sorts of planned rides come off — nice one DrP 🙂

dknwhy

@ernie_lynch – cheers for the link. I am an ACC member and have done the Brighton and back on the road before. Liked the idea of an off road half to use the cross bike.
    Don’t ride the club run any more tbh as I’m not a fan of group riding. Had a few silly accidents caused by poor group riding (not all with the club btw – Addiscombe are a good club with some great riders). I tend to ride with 4-5 max riders now and have a good few mates who meet regularly.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve let my Addiscombe membership lapse as I got bored with the Saturday club runs, although I fancy giving a go at a few of the Captain’s Coastals to give my fitness a much needed boost.

One time I went with two others off road Croydon to Brighton and we met the roadies at the seafront, we took a train back though. Needless to say it involved a lot of bridleways and not much singletrack.

Recently I’ve been going out with the Old Portlians on Saturday road rides, they’re a nice bunch and don’t number much more than about half a dozen. They go into Kent which makes a change for me as I usually ride in Surrey and don’t know much beyond Westerham. They meet by the roundabout at the bottom of Corkscrew Hill at 10.15, if you fancy trying something different.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Today I rode BOTH BHF london-to-brighton routes, on and off road!’ is closed to new replies.