Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • To all those thinking of putting the heating on…..
  • Kip

Ray Mears was asked about central heating last Autumn on The Chris Evans show. The sports guy was saying it shouldn’t go on til October or something, Ray’s lovely response was, “If it’s cold put on the heating, any fool can be cold!” Colder in our house than outside tonight, heating on at Mr Kip’s request.

geoffj

Stove is on in sunny Perthshire.
    Its been a good year for scrumping wood though, so I don’t feel guilty.

jekkyl

Trekster this thread was intended as either judgemental or light hearted nonsense, see if you can guess which.

maccruiskeen

Looking at you female significant others.

You do realise that the reason women feel the cold more than men is because women have lovely soft thick woman skin that insulates them better – they feel the cold more because they leak less body heat to the skins surface where all the nerves and receptors for air temperature are, so paradoxically they feel the cold because they better maintain their body temp. The plus side of that is in evolutionary terms that makes them natural survivors able to conserve heat and energy and more pre-disposed to seek shelter (compared to men who can be leaky and energy inefficient and reckless because they are comparatively disposable) as a bonus it also makes women all soft and womanly.

If the readiness to reach for the thermostat bothers you then you need to trade in for a thiner skinned, more knobbly, angular, veiny, blokey sort of woman.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I wonder how much the cost outweighs the environmental concerns.

Fortunately, we can afford to keep warm, so we do. It’s something we like spending money on as comfort is something we like.

Daffy

I baked rather than put the heating on, it’s like free heat!

bigad40
    Free Member

I’m a self employed central heating service engineer,
    I’d prefer it if you all give your heating a little run now because in October it gets a bit manic when all your heating problems you thought you’d leave till it gets cold manifest on the same day and your only heat source is the Mrs rising temperature cos “that’s your department!!!”

rOcKeTdOg

Bigad40 can u pop over please, I need my CH boiler serviced & the timer doesn’t work

matt_outandabout

Heating? In August? Really?

Go for a walk, put on a jumper etc.

vickypea
    Free Member

I must be a knobbly and veined blokey- type woman then!

Drac

Had to open the windows again last night as it was too hot in the bedroom.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Boiler’s been lit for a few days, gotta make sure everything’s dandy before winter sets in.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I baked rather than put the heating on, it’s like free heat!

@daffy
    😀

Stoner
    Free Member

No heating on yet in Casa Del Stoner, but inside temp was 19 degrees last night. Lots of thermal mass and insulation still doing it’s thing yet.

I love this time of year though. Good weather on Sunday means Ive bagged and brought into the house over a ton of wood for the furnace and two stoves. Looking forward to it getting cold enough to fire one up!

EDIT: PS, to other wood-hounds out there, I cant recommend highly enough Ikea bags for storing/moving logs. They really cut down on the amount of fuel handling you have to do. They last well, these are 4 years old, and they stack safely if you load them correctly.

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FT4i1qJuYHA/U_xJ3vq7DpI/AAAAAAAAKB0/Zd2iYitq9V4/s640/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg[/img]

DezB
    Free Member

I have the heating on – for one reason, my son’s shoes got soaked at the Big Bike Bash yesterday and I need to get them dry!

miketually
    Free Member

To my shame, ours has been on.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Ours has been on quite a lot the last couple of weeks, but in our flat you need a jumper if it’s 25 degrees + outside. It sits in a dip overhung by trees and is amazingly cool- going outside on a warm day is like getting off the plane in a hot country. It’s a bit depressing actually!

I’m definitely in the “put a jumper on” camp but if that’s not done the job then Ray Mears is right!

footflaps

Still been over 20C inside our house without any heating, during this cool period.

epicyclo

Aye back in the dark ages when we had “inefficient” heat emitting light bulbs, that was enough to take the chill out of the air in the room.

Now in this environmentally conscious age we have to turn the heating on…

badnewz
    Free Member

Heating is off, but the bleedin rain is starting to get on my man-boobs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ours is on 24 hours now,

I simply cannot sleep with the heating on. I’ve slept in friends houses where they have it on all night and I lie awake sweating like Rolf Harris on Jim’ll Fix It all night.

Our bedroom window is open 365 nights a year, no matter how cold it is.

mudshark
    Free Member

If you need heat at night just use a hot water bottle/pet/partner.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cold at night but ok during the day if it stopped raining!

Unpredictable weather oh well.

Migrate – I wish!

TimP
    Free Member

In-laws are here for the week. Had heating and the stove on last night, so was too hot in shorts and t and had to leave the room. Annoyingly I just cut a load of wood too so can’t even pretend we dont have any left.
    Friday can’t come fast enough for so many reasons (mostly based around MIL though!)

boxelder

Heating just switched on. Great summer wasn’t it. First rain here near sunny Keswick for months it seems.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Had the heating on overnight, definitely cannot sit by open window during the evening any longer.

LoCo
    Free Member

Wood burner has been one night so far, it was quite chilling this morning but boiler not going on for a while yet

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m waiting for as long as possible, my monthly energy direct debit has just gone down to under £50 and I intend to keep it that low for as long as I can 🙂

mrchrispy

mine has stayed the same all summer and I’m nearly a grand in credit at the mo 😮
    will soon burn through that once the wife figures out I’ve turned the heating down at the boiler.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Not on in a Victorian Manchester terrace yet.

I can feel the question coming from the missus any time soon though as it was only 19.5 on the thermostat this morning. Will try and make her wait till October.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mrchrispy, you are making a free loan to the energy company. Its a big part of their business model these days.

brant
    Free Member

My heating comes on by itself – I think my thermostat got hacked.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/heatmiser-wifi-thermostats-slight-firstworldproblem

ransos
    Free Member

I can feel the question coming from the missus any time soon though as it was only 19.5 on the thermostat this morning.

What do you mean “only”?!

molgrips
    Free Member

Still not on here. Just considering closing the windows at night!

House is remarkably warm still, seems to be collecting enough warmth from the sun and holding onto it. 4 people in the kitchen and 1 gas ring seem enough to get it toasty.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve still got the fan on at night, are we living in the same country?

ransos
    Free Member

House is remarkably warm still, seems to be collecting enough warmth from the sun and holding onto it. 4 people in the kitchen and 1 gas ring seem enough to get it toasty.

Ditto. At 7am this morning, it was 6 degrees outside and 19.5 in my kitchen.

molgrips
    Free Member

Come to think of it.. our house is tall and relatively slim, so it has a lot of side and frontal area and the collected/generated heat rises up. Then I sit and work on the top floor so it’s always pretty warm. In winter evenings two people watching TV are enough to overheat the living room without any input from the rads.

hora
    Free Member

We’ve not even thought about having the heating on once. Mrshora comes from Yorkshire after all. She’d rather burn baby Robins* than put the heating on. So I’ve hatched a cunning plan to install a small dual-fuel burner*…mhahaha

johndoh
    Free Member

My wife has said a couple of times that ‘it’s a bit cold tonight’.

I am ignoring it completely.

jam-bo

2-3 degrees on the moors this morning on my drive to work. Sure I saw a touch of ground frost.

thermostat is still showing 20deg in the house and doesnt come on until 17.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘To all those thinking of putting the heating on…..’ is closed to new replies.