• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Titanium hardtail springy frame?
  • Fat-boy-fat

I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for a springy titanium hardtail frame.

I bought a steel Genesis Altitude frame a while back and it just doesn’t give me the springy steel experience that I remember from my favorite bike ever (DiamondBack Ascent SE from 1994), so I was thinking that Titanium might be the way to go.

Any thoughts?

toppers3933
    Free Member

there is no substitue for a test ride. so whatever people suggest, find one and have a go because one mans springy is another mans floppy. 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

one mans springy is another mans floppy

FNARR FNARR!!

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Charge Duster Steel, skinny tubed springy loveliness.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-duster-hi-2011/

john_l
    Free Member

Titanium doesn’t necessarily mean springy – my Lynskey’s the stiffest frame I’ve owned. So I’d rule that one out for starters.

rustler
    Free Member

I found the Genesis stiffer than an Inbred, & an Inbred stiffer than a Soul, & a Soul stiffer than a 29er Inbred. So thats what I have now. And am happy with it.

To some degree IMO it’s as much to do with components as frames though. Tyres, seat-post, saddle, bars, even down to grips, they all play a part. A carbon seatpost helped tame my old Pace 303, but only slightly.

DaveRambo

I recently built up a Van Nic Tuareg. I’d not ridden a Ti framed bike before but had steel Team Marin from mid 90’s whcih I just loved to ride. it had a connection to the trial that my new Yeti ASR doesn’t quite give.

The Tuareg rides like a hardtail but isn’t quite as filling rattling over the rough stuff, it has that immediate acceleration you expect from a hartail but I can go so much faster over rough ground that I can’t do on the Marin – some of this is no doubt due to the forks but the whole bike (in XC build) just feels fast and connected.

If you’re unsure you need to test ride one, I’d always wanted one and am thrilled with it, reading other peoples reviews over a 3 year period made the decision for me.

alpin
    Free Member

my Sanderson Breath 8shit name, great frame….) has a very lively, springy feel, whereas my DB Alpine is stiff as ****.

don’t think you need jump onto the Ti bandwagon just yet…. although i would if there was a Ti Alpine (just to save weight and coz Ti looks the bee’s knees….)

brant
    Free Member

Cotic Soda

Aus
    Free Member

my steel Dekerf felt sig springier than my Ti one, with exactly the same build and pretty similar (if not identical) geometry

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Titanium hardtail springy frame?’ is closed to new replies.