Home Forums Bike Forum Titanium frame needed; custom or off the peg?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 341 total)
  • Titanium frame needed; custom or off the peg?
  • bartyp
    Free Member

Hi all, new to this forum. I’ve joined in order to ask for advice on a new frame. Basically, I want a 700c wheel frame capable of taking a rack and mudguards, with disc an v-brake mounts to give options. The bike will be used for anything from short ‘leisure’ rides to rugged touring. One of the issues I have is that I want a flat bar bike, but most ‘touring’ frames are for drop bars, and too short in the ‘effective’ top tube. I’ve found that a ‘hybrid’ style geometry is best for me, so a ETT of around 550mm, but not too large as I’m quite short (166cm). I’ve looked around at various manufacturers, but can’t seem to find quite what I’m after, which makes me wonder if getting a custom frame built is the only solution.

Other requirements are a standard 1 1/8″ headtube, standard BB shell, not too high a front end (so not a ’29er’), 27.2mm seatpost size, and the usual mudguard/water bottle cage mounts. Quite ‘old fashioned’, but servicable in places where current trends haven’t caught up, and to hopefully avoid the kind of short life some new ‘standars’ seem to have.

I’m willing to spend a decent amount on the frame, as hopefully it will see me right for many years to come.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendation of custom titanium builders, or of any off the peg options I haven’t yet seen?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

johnnystorm

Speak to Brant at Pact bikes?

RustyMac
    Free Member

Have you seen the Kinesis Tripster when looking?

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/decade/tripster-atr

and the massive thread on here

Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!

somafunk converted his to a jones bar so flat bar may be possible.

If it is a custom titanium fram you are wanting then I follow a russian company – Tritonbikes on instagram and they look to make some lovely Ti frames.

Bicycles

bartyp
    Free Member

The Tripster is too short. Triton bikes looks interesting, but I was hoping to be able to deal with a UK frame builder if possible. Pact bikes website looks dodgy somehow.

bartyp
    Free Member

Thanks for the reponses.

bartyp
    Free Member

And the Tripster has a tapered headtube, so no good for me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pact bikes website looks dodgy somehow

I’m sure Brant (Ex On One,Planet X,Ragley designer) will appreciate that :lol:

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

Pact bikes website looks dodgy somehow

I’m sure Brant (Ex On One,Planet X,Ragley designer) will appreciate that

In the About section on the Pact Bikes website:

Our website is a rubbish because we’re trying to save money. We’re working hard to make great bikes, and we don’t need a whizz-bang website to do that.

danti

I was the same in wanting a hybrid frame rather than drop bar and ended up using a mountain bike frame.

They’ll run 700c tyres, the only thing you may struggle with is requiring brake bosses but something like a Ti Inbred has bosses, not sure about a Charge Duster but think its also 27.2. Beware Ti Inbreds as they did have a habit of cracking at seat tube junction, mine and others have.

I run 445mm a-c forks on mine which keeps the handling tighter and not too tall/slack.

qwerty
    Free Member
    Moses

I’d suggest that you try a load of bikes in shops / trial days first. Your spec is unusual but what you want on paper may not work for you in practice – see the thread on making mistakes which Ton started.

If you’re short, consider a 650b size wheel, it might work better for you.
    And for a list of frameubilders, look at the exhibitor list at Bespoked:
    Here is bespoked[/url]

scotroutes

You’ve just described my Van Nicholas Amazon.
    As above though, if your search is in vain, go with Pact

tinribz
    Free Member

Take a look here: http://www.spanner.org.uk/ or google ‘XACD custom ti frame’. Ordered my custom road frame with discs emailing Porter direct two or three years ago, still more than happy. Specified all the tubes / angles, change from £500 inc postage.

MoreCashThanDash

See what Spa Cycles in Harrogate have in their Ti range

RustyMac
    Free Member

don’t let the tapered head tube phase you. It is easy enough to get either headset cups that act as reducer or something like the hope reducer crown to convert it to a 1.5 lower. The tapered head tube may open up options for you in the future with replacement forks etc.

like this

The effective top tube of the 51cm kinesis is 54cm so close to what you were looking for, it may be worth demoing one to see if getting something custom built to your specs above is what you really need.

rankbadjin
    Free Member

Bartyp your description up there could be covered by a voodoo D’jab, like the one I have hanging in the shed! I’ve run it on 26″ and 650b with normal bars and on 700c with drops, lovely ride. Email in profile if you’ve any questions.
    Cheers
    Steven

JohnClimber
    Free Member

For custom builds Email or call Michael at http://www.traversbikes.com/

DezB
    Free Member

I’d try these guys: http://www.enigmabikes.com/

They do a frame building course, so definitely would be able to build you a custom frame. Choice of luscious finishes and all sorts going on.

Kahurangi

Was there a titanium RoadRat??

adsh
    Free Member

I’d seriously consider custom steel. Only a pound in it and you have all the options you want.

I’d also give Gary at Curtis a call. My 29er from him was to my and Whyte’s own design so they are flexible.

breadcrumb

Sounds like you’re heading off to far flung places- it would be easier to find someone to weld/repair a steel frame rather than a titanium one.

rOcKeTdOg

Don’t discount tapered head tube frames, a simple crown race adaptor will allow any straight steered fork to fit

MoreCashThanDash

Burls still going?

traversbikes
    Free Member

I dont want to take over this thread with an advert but (I am the owner of Travers Bikes) can produce a bespoke titanium frame for you. Its not on my website yet (it will be later today) but I will be running an offer where you can have an bespoke Road, CX or touring frame made for £1499 and MTB, Plus or Fat Bike for £1599.

You will be able to have any BB, headtube, top tube length etc. The only thing extra on top of the base price will be (if required) S&S Couplers, EBB and polished or painted finish

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, thanks traversbikes, now you’ve got me lusting after a fatbike! Lovely stuff.

brant
    Free Member

Pact bikes website looks dodgy somehow.

Yeah. I can see how you might think that.

If you think that, we’re best avoided. Seen some lovely Travers, Burls and others out there.

Currently working on lots of 650B monstercross/gravel bike things.

Let me know if we can help. Cheers.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d be looking for the lifetime warranty for when it cracks at a contaminated weld. I’m a bit of a Ti fanboi but I’d bet it has the highest failure rate of any frame material.

boxelder

My old On One TiX ticks all those boxes I think, but doubt you’ll find one……
    Like this

bartyp
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Much appreciated. I’ve looked at Enigma and some others so far, just wondering if anyone has any real experience of having a custom Titanium frame made?

I have no problem with steel, but I do want to save weight as much as possible, and I probably wont be doing any hardcore expeditions to the middle of nowhere, so not too worried about possible breakage. Talking more like touring in the UK, Europe and maybe supported trips elsewhere. I want a standard headtube, as I have a Chris King headset plus a few other good quality headsets spare, so enough to last the lifetime of the bike. I’m pretty sure of the geometry I need, as it’s based on an existing alu framed bike.

If I do go the custom route, then I will want it made in the UK, as I’ll want to be as involved in it’s production as much as possible, and be covered if there are any issues with the final product. I do know of someone who had a custom frame made in China, which was great, but it had a 27.0mm seat tube, due to an error on the builder’s part. I want to avoid potential problems like that!

There are one or two ‘custom builders’ who use overseas builders under their own brand, again, I will avoid those for the above reasons.

traversbikes; I will send you an email, thanks.

rankbadjin; also will send you an email.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pact,Travers,Kingdom,Burls,Quoroz etc all use overseas builders.
    There is Titchmarsh and Baldwin the uk….but they won’t be cheap.
    I had to deal with Enigma for a customers custom tourer (similar to your specs but for belt drive/rohloff….it was not an enjoyable experience).

br
    Free Member

I want a standard headtube, as I have a Chris King headset plus a few other good quality headsets spare, so enough to last the lifetime of the bike.

With a tapered at least you can use 50% of them :-)

tbh Pointless to restrict yourself to an ‘old’ standard just because you’ve a few bits lying around.

kimi
    Free Member

^ what’s the point of a tapered head tube?

bartyp
    Free Member

“tbh Pointless to restrict yourself to an ‘old’ standard just because you’ve a few bits lying around.”

Not really; the 1 1/8″ standard will be around for a long time, just as the 1″ standard still is. And why waste quality components when they can be used?

“Pact,Travers,Kingdom,Burls,Quoroz etc all use overseas builders.”

Just had an email exchange with Travers, and I think they are overpriced considering the cost of an XACD frame. I’d like to help support UK frame builders too.

“You’ve just described my Van Nicholas Amazon.”

The current model uses an internal headset, and a large diameter seat tube, plus the ETT is too short in my size, so unfortunately, no good to me. Same situation with most off the peg frames it seems.

traversbikes
    Free Member

Can I point out that my frames are not made by “XACD”

Rorschach
    Free Member

Walty :wink:

bartyp
    Free Member

“There is Titchmarsh and Baldwin the uk….but they won’t be cheap.”

I wasn’t expecting a custom Titanium frame to be cheap! They make some lovely looking bikes, so I’ll be contacting them, thanks. Interesting to hear your experiences of Enigma; what issues did you have with them, out of interest?

bartyp
    Free Member

“Can I point out that my frames are not made by “XACD””

I have no issue with the quality of Chinese-made frames, and your bikes do look very nice. But I’d prefer to support UK builders, and ca. £1400-1500 for a frame when I could get something from XACD for half that or even less, does seem overpriced, sorry.

kimi
    Free Member

For what it’s worth OP, given your requirements I think you’d get a better bike built in the UK if you went with steel. Good luck with the hunt (check out Robin Mather).

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s not cheap and then there is £3-4k!! Though on what I’ve seen Titchmarsh is worth EVERY penny of that! :D
    Belt drive+Rohloff raises some unique issues (frames have to be ratified by Rohloff before they will supply you the hub with belt sprocket).Enigma were not very helpful (borderline obstructive) during the whole episode ,hence why I was brought in to assist the customer.

bartyp
    Free Member

“There’s not cheap and then there is £3-4k!! “

I would fully expect to spend that on a high-end road bike or mtb, so it’s not a problem. And as you say, Titchmarsh looks real quality. I have considered XACD, but a bit wary of any possible issues as mentioned before, although the relatively very low price might surely be worth a gamble. I’d very much like to be involved as much as possible in the whole process though, hence preferring a UK builder. Tichmarsh and Baldwin are both in Yorkshire, so it would be nice to have a mini-break to visit them.

“I think given your requirements I think you’d get a better bike built in the UK if you went with steel”

As before, I want to save weight, and am happy to pay for top quality workmanship, so can’t see your argument really. I’m sure there are some poor steel framebuilders out there as well. I have considered 953, but prices are getting towards Titanium costs, so not such good value for me.

“Enigma were not very helpful (borderline obstructive) during the whole episode ,hence why I was brought in to assist the customer.”

In what way where they ‘obstructive’? I do know that Rohloffs are a bit tricky to accomodate perfectly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 341 total)

The topic ‘Titanium frame needed; custom or off the peg?’ is closed to new replies.