Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tires for Stans Flow rims
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m considering buying some stans flow rims and I will be running them tubeless if I can.

Which tires tend to work tubeless with them?

Ive currently got a single ply Maxxis Larssen and High Roller (to be replaced with a single ply minion)

Do these tend to work ok tubeless or do I need some of those LUST tires?

Any info is well valued

matthew_h
    Free Member

Those tires (sic) will work fine if they’re in decent condition

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got a brand new high roller lust for my 26″ and regular ardents on the 29″ they inflated just as easily, I won’t be bothering with lust anymore

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks

danti

One thing to bear in mind is due to Flows being wider they don’t pinch a tyre so much giving narrower tyres a larger footprint.

I run Advantage LUST 2.1s on my hardtail with them – was running 2.3s on previous 719s.
    Excellent rims – you won’t regret it.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have run the Minions and HR (normal folders) without issue, just a bit of stans sealant.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Maxxis tyres in general work very well with Stan’s Flow rims. Steel bead versions tend to be more stable in the corners though than the folding equivalent. If you’re heavy and or corner hard then you may have some burping and blow off issues with the rear. I found that running the stans rim strips made a big improvement to solving this as did a steel bead. The front never had any issues but then it doesn’t see the same kind of force in the turns as the rear.

djflexure

Have have run Conti RQ and HR in L/UST guise with no problems. The RQ were a bit more fragile going fast over rocks and I holed a couple which was a pain. The large volume tyre sits well on the rim though. Run Conti 2.4 front and HR rear currently. Minion front might also be a good call depending on what you’re up to.

nickegg
    Free Member

I’ve used Ardent,Crossmark, Ignitor (all LUST), Minion (wire bead) and am now running the new Mountain Kings on the Flow rim.

The MK’s are being run with tubes but all the others were run tubeless with just the yellow tape being used.

geetee1972
    Free Member

BTW you don’t need to run UST tyres. The latex takes care of the tyre casings lack of air tightness on regular tyres. Which is a bonus because have you seen how heavy UST tyres are? I switched from Flows to Mavic 819s on my latest wheels and 2.25 folding maxxis ardent LUSTs I put on weigh a staggering 880g each!

TooTall
    Free Member

I put Bonty TLR on my Flow 29ers and they are working very well.

nickegg
    Free Member

You’re not wrong geetee! I’ve gone from running Ardent and Ignitor LUST at over 900g each to running the new Mountain King ProTection tyres at 620g each. Even with tubes the difference is amazing, might try the MK’s tubeless at some point too!

I think i’ll be saving the LUST tyres for the Alps from now on!

Jeffus
    Free Member

I run 2.25 Advantage folding and 2.25 Crossmark folding on the flow rims been ok for 18 months.

leystan
    Free Member

DON’T try a WTB Velociraptor on your front Flow unless you want the cheap thrill of your front tyre popping off on your way to the trails. At least it wasnt *on* the trails i s’pose.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

On the Tire front I should be ok with some maxxis single plys then.

How do I go about using them tubeless with the Stans rims?

What exactly do I need?

Do I need some fancy rim strips? Can I do a bmx innertube bodge job?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tires for Stans Flow rims’ is closed to new replies.