Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • tips for taking up running without killing my legs
  • oblique
    Free Member

Due to time and money I can’t ride much at the moment so was thinking about running to fill the aerobic gap. I have tried this before and just ended up getting shin splints but I have lost allot of weight since then and gained some flexibility from rock climbing. I know the temptation is just too but on some running shoes (I have some quite good ones from before) and go for it but I know this leads to pain and a short lived new pastime.

What tips do the people that successfully do both sports have about starting running without killing my legs? I know this is a common ish question so if there are good guides or advice you can link me to that is just as good.

chutney13
    Free Member

loosening up your shins by doing toe raises before running can help prevent shin splints. you basically just tap your toes a bit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

start slowly – no more than 10 minutes on your first runs. Bike fitness will let you run further than your weak running legs will allow.

wwaswas

Bike fitness will let you run further than your weak running legs will allow.

Making even getting up and down the stairs for the next few days a major exercise involving one step at a time climbing and descending and much breathing through clenched teeth, ime.

Oh, and the rest of the family tend to point and laugh when you shuffle around like an old person.

Keva
    Free Member

yup what ^^^mf said^^^

I’m just getting back into it myself after a few months lay off. I spent a couple of weeks just doing a quick run round the block on what would usually be my rest days so as not to be tempted to run too far. Build up slowly increase distance little by little. Main issue for me is calf muscles take a hammaering from running.

Kev

djglover
    Free Member

Having suffered the injury setback that is inferred above, take it easy at first, much easier than you think. If you want to run fast do it only for very short bursts at most. build a base gradually. I came back from injury in December and only just starting to reach a decent level of strength and fitness now. For some of that time I have been cross training on an exercise bike so as not to stress my legs too much as well as doing some stretching and strength exercises on my legs.

most runners mileage is done way slower than their fastest

seanoc
    Free Member

If your shin splints is caused by compartment syndrome (do you get drop foot, when running?) or tendinitis it may be worth having a crack with a foam roller…there’s loads of stuff on YouTube showing you how to exercise your shins, calf’s, ITB, etc.. For every hour running I’m tending to spend at least half that time again exercising with a roller and stretching.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t heel strike.

djglover
    Free Member

here we go….

oblique
    Free Member

what is heel strike?
    What is drop foot?

This is all noew to me 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looks like there are 2 techniques to running on STW.

The just go out and run, take it easy and build up

and the anal micro managed approach using as much terminology and technology as possible.

I’d say just get out and run, if used to cycling your lungs will want to go faster than your legs so be careful.

If you have suffered from Shin splints, stretch your calfs out loads, dont over tighten your trainers.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m just getting back into running after dropping some weight – but it’s been 20 years since I last did any running. My (ongoing) process was:

1) Start off on a treadmill with the cushioning set to it’s maximum (30%)
    2) Do walk/run sessions – building up the running time
    3) Get shoes with lots of cushioning before heading outdoors (which I’ve just started doing this week)

funkynick

Find somewhere nice to run, preferably offroad as it’s more fun, and then just build up the distance gradually…

I found that doing equal times walking/running/walking/running helped me to feel that I was spending a decent amount of time doing the exercise while not killing myself straight off. Then just increase the times running compared to walking until you can easily run the whole route.

I never used to enjoy it at all until I started running offroad, and now I love it, even to the point where I have done the odd fell race and am thinking about doing more this year!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info guys.

I’ve signed up to do a half marathon in May to raise sponsorship for Bullheart & the Sarcoma Trust. The last time I did any sort of long distance run was when I was at school aged 16 which is over 33 years ago.

So the general consensus is start off slowly & build up the distance gradually. I’ve had my feet tested & they’re normal so I’ve now got a half decent pair of running shoes. I’m still at the run/walk/run stage but am now running more than walking. I find that walking the last 500m back to the house as a warm down has stopped the achy legs next day.

rich-c
    Free Member

My Two penneth worth as funkynick says is to get off road if at all possible, I also find that aches and pains are reduced if I start the run at a very slow jog and slowly speed up as your body joints etc warm up.
    You get to know what aches and pains you can run through and they dissapear but if you feel like it’s a serious pain stop straight away.

As you said warm down properly.

And as everyone else says slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Once you’ve done the half marathon look for some trail runs to do, quite often organised by the LDWA but most of them allow runners as well, can’t beat a long run along a gloopy footpath to improve your fitmess

and enjoy it

nickc

Find a 3 mile (5k) loop, and run it. Don’t time yourself, just slowly jog around it, if you need to walk, that’s fine, but do try to slowly run rather than run fast/walk a bit. Do this 3 times a week for AT LEAST 3-4 weeks. By the end of it, you’ll be bored out of your mind, but you’ll have running legs. then and only then, extend the distance, or speed up a bit.

Wear shoes that make running pain free for YOU, ignore people who tell you that you should be doing what they tell you. if pain free means low or no cushioning, that’s fine, if it means cushioned shoes, that’s fine as well.

Run like a runner, look up, keep your back straight, move your arms, don’t take strides that are too long. Breathe evenly.

Aim to be running 6 miles (10k) by the end of April, you’ll have no problem with a half if you can.

DO NOT NOT WEAR A STOPWATCH.

Mintman
    Free Member

Stretch, lots (but properly).

Heel strike is landing heel first. A large proportion land ball of the foot first instead. There are some studies claiming that heel strike is bad form, poor efficiency, dangerous blah blah. There are also reports that claim it’s a valid technique that suits some people.

Personally I heel strike, have no biometric problems with it and don’t care if it’s marginally less efficient. I did learn that landing flat footed certainly didn’t do me any favours by sending shocks up my clever & causing me pain. This was simply poor technique and fatigue on my part though.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Leg squats were really useful to me for building up the muscles used for running compared to ridding.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys that’s been very helpful.

I’ll be aiming to be running 6 miles by the end of April – Gulp!

Just back from tonight’s 2 miles & I’ve been going out 3 times a week for the last 2 weeks. Looks like I just need to keep the regular runs going & slowly increase the distance.

How do you cope with the boredom while running tho ??

stever
    Free Member

Boredom? I normally just empty my mind. There are people that mull things over and people that think about almost nothing at all. I’m normally one of the latter and really enjoy the downtime. Recent redundancy meant I’ve had stuff on my mind – I really resent pesky thoughts intruding on my brainless time.

Running offroad is better for boredom though – you’re always thinking about where to go next or just where to put your feet.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was heel striking, but because I was sticking my leg out in front much too far. So loads of my momentum ended up smacking my heel into the ground and braking me, and my muscles had to pull me back up over my foot again. It was murder, why I always hated running so much and I was crap at it.

Then one day on a treadmill I started using my toes to see what would happen, and it was like taking off a 50lb rucksack. I got 20% faster instantly.

Now I either toe strike or do it flat footed or even slightly heel first but the main thing is my foot strikes much more underneath me rather than out in front, which I suspect is really the key.

loddrik
    Free Member

Couch to 5K, someone on here recommended it to me nd it’s certainly a good method.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’ve used the running advice given out on STW to great effect.

Never thought of myself as a long distance runner, sprinting was much more my thing as a lad, but absolutely love it now.

Starting slow and short, finishing feeling like you could have done more and then slowly build up distance and then speed has defo work for me.

I have a confession… please forgive me Father for I have sinned…

My bike has not seen the light of day since end of october!!

Could not agree more on how running empties your head… I love it.. All I can think about is how hard am I breathing and my pace.

Someone has said don’t get a stop watch… firstly that gent has far more experience than myself and I think I probably read his advice six months ago and I thank him for his input on STW… However… I have found a GPS/Heart rate watch a great source of how I’m doing while running and I great motivator when you see for yourself that you are getting better…. sorry to contradict, just my two pennies worth… 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

Chi-running technique advocates a low knee lift, a mid-foot strike, a backward sweeping motion of each leg and keeping the core in line with feet. Shorten the stride and cadence at 80-90 rpm.

Also says if you suffer shin splints to avoid running hills and says maybe you’re pushing off on your toes too much.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Pfft. Just get outside and start running. If you have to stop, stop.
    Just started running recently and my first go was 4 miles around our local reservoir. Damn near killed me, and I had to stop every mile to get my vision back.

I now have a 3 mile loop that I can do in the evenings. 2 weeks ago my chest was bursting and I’d have to slow to a walk every so often, but now I can do it in 25 minutes. It just takes a few runs to get your legs thinking right, and learning the pacing.

As for boredom, I just stick the tunes on, and get into a bit of a catatonic rhythm. But then I can sit on a coach for 12 hours doing absolutely nothing quite happily.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pfft. Just get outside and start running.

I did that, I absolutely bloody hated it.

So I started thinking about it and now enjoy it more.

bigdaddy

My thoughts would also be to look at Parkruns. They are free timed 5k runs done in parks and woods on a Sat morning and more and more are springing up across the country. I’ve found them really helpful and inspiring for running – loads of people of all abilities, you can race if you want, or just get round. Have a look and see if there’s one local to you.

And here’s another vote for running offroad – much less pounding on the legs and much more fun

16stonepig
    Free Member

I did that, I absolutely bloody hated it.

So I started thinking about it and now enjoy it more.

Fair enough. My approach to most things is to just attack it with no preparation whatsoever. Doesn’t work for everyone, but it does for me.

HTTP404
    Free Member

That’s the difference between the artist and the artisan 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

Which is which? And which is “better”?

HTTP404
    Free Member

that’s a bit like asking –
    coe or ovett
    hagler or sugar ray
    hingis or williams
    nadal or federer

there’s no real right or wrong – it’s down to perception.

2tyred

I started running in June last year to prepare for a September half marathon. Only running I’d ever done before was during football or catching a bus. I was fit to start with so didn’t have that to overcome.

Most important things I found were decent running shoes (seek advice from a proper shop), proper stretching before and after, leaving at least a day between runs and not going too hard.

As the half marathon approached I got really bored of the training, but enjoyed the event and unexpectedly found myself enjoying running too. So much so that I’m still doing it – used it as cross-training over the winter, but trying to wind it down now. Currently doing two 6k-ish lunchtime runs a week at a mellow pace, just to keep the legs accustomed to it.

I used to find it dull and tried using an ipod and then a garmin to introduce something else, but came to the conclusion that the boredom and emptying-your-mind-of-thoughts is to be embraced, kind of like meditating! Can’t do that on the bike, I’d end up riding into a tree. Now I just run and enjoy the silence.

steve-g
    Free Member

I think one thing that’s important is to vary what you do a bit, rather than repeated laps of the same course everytime.

If you are just running the same 4 mile loop at a moderate pace over and over your just going to get really good at doing exactly that. I would do the 4 mile moderate pace thing once or twice a week, one day a week cut it down to 2 miles and really hammer the pace and get your lungs working. Then one day a week go for 6 or 7 miles, and go really really slowly to build stamina.

wwaswas

Fartlek training is where it’s at, my wife tells me.

It’s like intervals but posher and slightly rude sounding.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Just a quick update on my progress so far with my half marathon training & to say Thanks for all the great running advice.

I’ve now been going out running 3 x a week for the last month.
    I started off doing a 2.5 mile loop around the town which was a run/walk/run with my wife.
    I now start off with my wife on the 2.5 mile loop which is run/walk/run & I then do a further 4.5 mile longer loop on my own which I can run non-stop in 45mins.
    My next goal is the 2.5 mile loop followed by the 4.5 mile loop both run non-stop.

steve-g
    Free Member

Well done for sticking with it.

When you do the 7 mile “double” go really slow, your not trying to break records your trying to run further than you have before, building stamina.

Then when go back to the 2.5 mile route you can attack it and really push the pace.

Its too easy to not push yourself and just run pointless empty miles

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Find a 3 mile (5k) loop, and run it. Don’t time yourself, just slowly jog around it, if you need to walk, that’s fine, but do try to slowly run rather than run fast/walk a bit. Do this 3 times a week for AT LEAST 3-4 weeks. By the end of it, you’ll be bored out of your mind, but you’ll have running legs. then and only then, extend the distance, or speed up a bit.

Wear shoes that make running pain free for YOU, ignore people who tell you that you should be doing what they tell you. if pain free means low or no cushioning, that’s fine, if it means cushioned shoes, that’s fine as well.

Run like a runner, look up, keep your back straight, move your arms, don’t take strides that are too long. Breathe evenly.

Aim to be running 6 miles (10k) by the end of April, you’ll have no problem with a half if you can.

DO NOT NOT WEAR A STOPWATCH.

Good advice there.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

I have had a lot of problems with tight calves and general aches and pains from running, two solutions (both involve more time that you might not have to invest but hey ho)

– Yoga,I started doing Ashtanga yoga which is pretty hard work but great for introducing stretching but also helps all round strength a lot as well
    – Swimming, really helps to loosen off the muscles, before work is good if you can find the time

Both of the above I basically got to the point of having to do otherwise I’m sure I couldn’t run now/would be crippled later in life. Both I was rubbish at/found very hard work/boring and first but now I enjoy both, stick with it.

I used run 5 miles and be unable to do any more running at all for over a week due to tight calves. Did a 16miles trail run last weekend and had no stiffness in calves the day after – results dont lie!

Matt

Neil-F
    Free Member

I’m currently training for the Edinburgh Marathon, for the 2nd time.
    I suffered shin splints when I first started running 3 years ago, and I think the single best thing for me to stop it happening was a good 15 to 20 minute walk after every run. I now have the routine of finish my run, straight into the fridge for a milkshake, and leash the dog and out for a good walk. When I come back I’ve cooled down enough to have a shower, but I first hit my calfs with the cold shower for as long as I can handle it. Give your legs regular massages too, either by yourself or with the help of a knowledgable physio. I never stretch before a run, but usually do about 10 minutes stretching after a shower. These are just wee tips I’ve picked up over the few years I’ve been running, and they all help me. Won’t work for everyone, but we don’t all run the same or get the same hurty bits! Good luck. 😀

Sandwich

Couch to 5 K but start at about week 5 where the runs are 10 minutes with walking in between. Stretch afterwards like its a religion! If you have a smartphone use this to do countdown timing for you, there is an app for it. There’s also an app for bridging to 10K once you’re comfy at 5K.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘tips for taking up running without killing my legs’ is closed to new replies.