Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 379 total)
  • Tim Farron
  • loddrik
    Free Member

So is he ok with homosexuality or not? It really isn’t a difficult one to clear up…

mefty
    Free Member

Just caught him on Peston, reverted to that when my recording of Line of Duty finished – I thought he came across pretty well and certainly not a homophobe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just to highlight where things stand.
    Current standings according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MPs_elected_in_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2015
    Has the Tories with 330, official majority is 16. Given the Lib Dems lost 49(?) seats at the last election and the anti brexif feelings a lot of people are experiencing it will not take much for the situation to change.
    Will UKIP be effective? Will Lab go to Tories? Will the remain tories to to the Lib Dems?

An increase in Lib Dems and possibly a return by some of the bigger names to the party and it’s leadership could put them in a very strong position going forward.

It’s the reason that everyone needs to get out and vote and think about their choies.
    May might have calculated it all out but that doesn’t mean that is how it will play out. As said many times if you can get the young out to vote the answer isn’t always what you expect.

luke
    Free Member

Another member here although I’ll admit I didn’t vote for him to be leader.
    I’d like us to have a resurgence but I think it will take us a couple of elections to get back to where we were post the coalition, after the tonking we got at the last general election, which was mirrored in our local district council elections I ran in what had been a strong ward for the Lid Dems and all 3 seats went to the the conservatives from Liberal, and the conservatives took a strong hold on our district council holding all but Four seats.
    I was asked if I’d consider standing this time in the general but have declined.

bodgy
    Free Member

Actually, I respect Tim Farron for being a person with his own religious beliefs, and holding his own societal political beliefs. It’s his politics that I am going to be voting for, not his faith. The fact that he can differentiate the two makes him all the stronger in my opinion.

Just to qualify:

I will be voting tactically against the Conservative Party in this election because I believe in the NHS, and I believe in being a strong member of Europe. That makes me a Lib-Dem.

This Tory shit-shower need to go.

Northwind

wallop – Member

Yeah I’ve never understood the flak Clegg receives – I’ve always been impressed by him.

The thing people often forget about Clegg, is that he actually did really badly in the 2010 election. The Lib Dems lost 5 seats. The only reason it looked like a success was the lack of a majority- not his doing, he just happened to be in the right place at hte right time and his diminished party was still big enough.

So that’s his high point, an unsuccesful election, which was immediately followed by the coalition years, of which nuff said frankly- his own book is critical enough to condemn him. And well worth a read btw

aracer
    Free Member

This is the thing – can we duplicate last year’s unexpected voting results in this election? I certainly can’t see why it wouldn’t be possible given this is far from a normal election and given that the relative turnout seems to have swung last year’s results, turnout is also likely to be assymetric this time. As you suggest, all it will likely take is to motivate the young to vote. Given I seem to be collecting a lot of FB friends half my age recently I’m wondering therefore whether to break my self-imposed avoidance of commenting on political stuff on FB (if I’m judging them correctly I don’t need to influence which way they vote, simply whether they vote).

bugger – now I’m discussing the election on the thread intended to clean up the election thread 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess the leaders names threads are the election threads, if not what is it about – somebody tell me the rules and get me a sub forum quick 😉
    What is clear is there needs to be some solid policy announcements very soon.
    So far Caps on fuel payments, not sure about Trident and UKIP bigots are the headlines
    http://www.bbc.com/news/politics
    Yes he needs to sort the homophobic question but he needs to follow that with a clear direction and reasons why people should vote for him. The reason a lot of people get disenganged is the points scoring negative campaining about how bad the other lot would be. However I would reserve a special place for the current government and it’s recent problem with promises. A few of those bill boards would be good.

molgrips
    Free Member

The reason a lot of people get disenganged is the points scoring negative campaining about how bad the other lot would be

I don’t think there’s enough actual debate about policies, how they would work and what they would achieve. Too much smoke and mirrors.

Daffy

I’ve worked for/with and been friends with BACs for years and despite my initial misgivings, they’re a great bunch of people. I’m totally non-religious and was still invited to parties, gatherings, weddings etc. They’re a great bunch of people with superb ideals which when transposed from religion into their general work/business/personal activities, make them a seriously sound group of people.

Tim Farron’s religious views, especially given his voting record, are far from a negative point for me.

Sandwich

TJAgain. Jennie Rigg would dispute your reading of the man. She’s probably more qualified than you or I to make that call.

shermer75
    Free Member

His voting record on LGBT issues is exemplary and his religious beliefs do not appear to impair his ability to be a reasonable human being.
    There appears to be a concerted effort to embarrass him by professional excrement-stirrers in the media. Their efforts show more about them than about their target.

^This. I’m looking forward to voting for them on June 8th! 🙂

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Do people believe that a person can seperate their values from their language and behaviours?

Everything we do, say and think is related to our values – why should an MP be any different? If Farron holds strong beliefs about homesexuality, I believe these values will play out in his working life.

Edit: Seen post above. Just voting for a policy is one part – how about all the parts leading up to new policies being introduced e.g. the priority he puts upon the bits of work he wants to spend time on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    Do people believe that a person can seperate their values from their language and behaviours?

Everything we do, say and think is related to our values – why should an MP be any different? If Farron holds strong beliefs about homesexuality, I believe these values will play out in his working life.
    I work with some very strict Mormon guys, they have very straight lives and all of that. However they have no problem when we all get together shouting a load of beers (and caffeine) it does make them also very good to deal with as they are straight talking and honest.
    Each individual can be one or the other, have a deep personal belief but act and accept difference. It’s about the person not the belief system.

tjagain

Sandwich – and she would be wrong as a more detailed analysis shows

I have read that open letter. Its written by a lib dem activist.

Try this analysis of his voting
    https://stavvers.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/tim-farrons-homophobic-and-anti-choice-voting-history-in-easily-shareable-format/

http://bethgranter.com/blog/2017/04/tim-farron-has-voted-against-lgbt-rights-and-womens-rights/

He can attempt to weasel out of it all he wants but his record is clear. anti abortion and homophobic

RustySpanner

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and to add, TM will change her mind to suit her best interests and JC seems to like sacking people who defy his personal beliefs. Who you going to choose?

tjagain

Who am I going to chose? I would vote for the candidate most likely to beat the tories even if that would mean holding my nose and voting lib dem
    https://www.tactical2017.com/

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@mikesmith – the person IS the belief system. It’s basic sociology (not meaning that to come across as patronising).

Another way of looking at it. People also know how to integrate. Your friends will undoubtedly act one way in front of you (with them knowing your beliefs) and another in the comfort of their own value driven circle of friends.

Do you tell everyone you know all of your values? I bet you don’t. You adapt to your social surroundings to fit in an be accepted.

councilof10
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member
    His voting record on LGBT issues is exemplary…

Do you know this, or are you just repeating what you heard on The Last Leg, verbatim? 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@mikesmith – the person IS the belief system. It’s basic sociology (not meaning that to come across as patronising).

But the person can choose to be tolerant of things they do not personally approve of. See across all religions from the strictest followers to the people who go along with it. You are judging his tolerance/acceptance based on his beliefs which are not the same things.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Clegg gets a lot of stick from me (long term Lib Dem voter and donor) as he showed he has absolutely no convictions. Having stood on a platform of no tuition fee increases he waved through a threefold increase to £9k pa and he described the Alternative Vote as as “grubby little compromise” before campaigning for it in the Referendum 😯 He stands for absolutely nothing.

IMO the Lib Dems will not see a resurgence in this election. The coalition was a disaster for them and the prospect of an Labour/SNP alliance remains a key driver of the Tory vote in Lib Dem target seats in England.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Who am I going to chose? I would vote for the candidate most likely to beat the tories even if that would mean holding my nose and voting lib dem

There’s nothing like voting with your hatred.

You aren’t standing for anything; just against one thing.

It would make more sense if you voted for Labour because you believed in it against all common sense. It’s how UKIP made great strides.

oldnpastit

and the prospect of an Labour/SNP alliance remains a key driver of the Tory vote in Lib Dem target seats in England.

This. Although I think the lib dems are well aware of it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the problem he faces is , given how the to books contradict each other on issues such as homosexuality, he is either a very poor christian or a very poor liberal.

Clegg was rubbish in that he capitulated on his principles to enable the Tories – I almost feel sorry for him /the party but not quite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s less than a week since the election was called. With over a month to go and a lot of ground to cover many things will change. We still have to see how the tories try and appease both side of their own support along with the kippers. May has to defend her record and changes of mind and all parties need to launch their Manifesto and more importantly their Brexit Plan.
    It always appeared that TM wanted to commit to nothing until it was too late for any changes, she needs to come out with more of a plan than she has manged so far.

So the real message is give it a week. Then come back with the predictions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There’s nothing like voting with your hatred.
    You aren’t standing for anything; just against one thing.

You are standing against hatred, intolerance, bigotry, big business the establishment and lots of other things the Tories stand for

In a two party system the best I can ever do is vote for the party most likely to beat the Tories * in the area where I live as nothing is worse that Tory rule.

You can call it hatred if you like or tactical voting as most folk do.

* does not include UKIP

tjagain

Junkyard – Farrons position on christianity / the bible is the standard evangelical one ” “Christianity is not a bit true. It’s either wrong or utterly compellingly true” ie as he still states he is a Christian then to him every word of it is 100% true and right and he must follow the bible 100%

This is why he is dangerous in a way moderate Christians who accept the bible as a guide, as parables etc is not.

tjagain

More analysis of his positions – from someone who is a christian and a lib dem

http://scottish-liberal.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/tim-farron-is-either-wrong-or.html

greentricky
    Free Member

So will those criticising his views on homosexuality be happy now he has set his stall out at last?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

greentricky – Member
    So will those criticising his views on homosexuality be happy now he has set his stall out at last?

Bloody grubby line of questioning from the beginning.

bodgy
    Free Member

Personally, I am going to be voting for the Lib Dems; I live in Oliver F***ing Letwin’s stronghold constituency. The only chance of one less nasty Tory is to vote Lib Dem. Frankly, Farron’s religious views don’t even enter into the equation. It’s tactical against the Tories.

The Lib Dems are the only party around here that actually campaign for local people, and local people’s concerns; the Conservatives have the luxury of sitting back in the knowledge that they are safe, despite the amount of cuts they are imposing on local and county NHS services, Mental health services, children’s services, schools, special educational needs services, bus services, civic services . . . the list just goes on and on, yet still agricultural and silver haired people will still vote for the f***tards.

But, hey . . . ‘sovereignty’, right?

In Dorset any national election vote for the Greens or Corbyn’s shower-of-shite Momentum rabble is a vote that might as well not be cast.

mefty
    Free Member

Not until partakes in gay sex on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square, but DD +1.

nick1962
    Free Member

Clegg was rubbish in that he capitulated on his principles to enable the Tories

I disagree,Clegg was rubbish because he was happy to ditch whatever principles he may or may not have had because he was seduced by power,or more accurately the illusion of power.

bodgy
    Free Member

If Farron is perceived to be a threat by both the Tory/UKIP trolls on this forum and the Corbyn/Momentum trolls on this forum . . . well, that only strengthens my support for him.

I’d rather vote for somebody who recognises and reconciles a conflict in his beliefs than vote for the out-and-out spite merchants.

mefty
    Free Member
    thegreatape
    Free Member

With some great contributions from one chap in the comments section…

Tim Farron is the man of the moment. The voters have had enough of roast swan bones tossed down at them from the High Tables of Oxford, they are sick of Jamie Blair’s overpriced Italian drizzles and they think Corbyn’s vegetarian burritos will give them flatulence. The British people are pleading for Tim Farron’s sausage, chips and beans. Forget the sandal of Corbyn, forget the kitten-heeled jackboot of the Maytriarch, it is the brown piss-catcher shoe on the foot of Farron that will be stepping into Downing Street on whatever the date is in June.

and

He’s mild, he’s bland, he has to rule this land, Tim Farron, Tim Farron.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Good article”

Agree with every word. Mind you it’s pretty much all been said on this thread already.

tjagain

The trouble is that article does not address the problem – Farrons longstanding homophobia and his complete refusal to answer the questions.

He could have killed the whole line of questioning very simply by making a clear statement that homosexuality and homosexual sex is not a sin – but he can’t do this as he is an evangelical Christian fundamentalist who believes every word of the bible is 100% true

jonnyboi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39703444

Seems like a straight answer to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 379 total)

The topic ‘Tim Farron’ is closed to new replies.