Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Tight stretchy cold weather top for road cycling?
  • FuzzyWuzzy

Sounds like you want a Castelli Alpha but not sure about the budget

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips, a lot the previous recommendations will do what you want but youre dismissing as theyre not what you expected.

No, they are not what I specified, that’s why I dismissed them!

The way it works is, you ask for suggestions, then people give them, and you evaluate them to see if you like them. You don’t have to like everyone’s suggestion. There’s one up there I really like, and I said as much. I’m pretty sure I’ll get it when I come to buy. What did I do wrong?

theflatboy
    Free Member

OK, based on OP – Gore Oxygen. Where does that come up short?

tomkerton
    Free Member

Gabba

Haze

Gabba!

jamiep
    Free Member

I got last year’s Team Cannondale Gabba long sleeve for £80

Rockplough
    Free Member

I got an Altura Airstream jersey as a gift. Would never have bought one myself but I use it a lot now. It’s a nice fit, warm (spring/autumn) and comfortable. Kind of half way between a jersey and a jacket. They’re only £40.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve never understood windproof base layers. In my mind to keep warm you need insulation – that is to trap a layer of warm air next to your skin to protect you from the cold. Normally fleece will do this if there is not much wind because the fibers stop the movement of air. However, when cycling there is normally a lot of wind so a windproof panel stops the breeze going straight through the fleece and removing al the warm air. If you put a windproof base layer on under a fleece then you lose this control of air movement and are not much better off than just wearing a the base layer.

See also – people who wear water proof nitrile gloves under winter gloves to keep their hands warm.

DHB has some interesting windproof jersey, plenty in the sale. Trying different makes on to get the fit is most important for the road as some tend to be quite flappy.

teasel
    Free Member

No, they are not what I specified, that’s why I dismissed them!

Have you checked any Spesh stuff, as I suggested? Some of their stuff is windproof (although not entirely) and a snug fit.

teasel
    Free Member

Here’s an example…

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/sl-elite-winter-partial-jacket/36134/2015equipappareloutermensfw14

But you’ll probably reject it as it’s not entirely windproof, at which point I’ll call you a pansy…

PJ266
    Free Member

Gabba. Very windproof, breathable, not flappy.

molgrips
    Free Member

But you’ll probably reject it as it’s not entirely windproof, at which point I’ll call you a pansy..

I’ll reject it cos it’s black 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand what you want Molgrips. A cheap solution would be any Roubaix long sleeved top with a gillet over or under it. That’s done me fine for about 8 to -8 degC with appropriate amounts of base layers underneath.

However the fancy solution is as people have mentioned something like the Sportful No-rain series, then pick the weight of jersey/jacket. Gore and Castelli as mentioned above do other options.

If you are in a club then you’ll probably find the club kit supplier do a thick winter road jacket.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba
    Gabba

So far… spot a theme?

teasel
    Free Member

I’ll reject it cos it’s black

Racist!

Other colours are available. Well, black with a colour to be more precise.

I’m sure I’ve seen more garish offerings from Spesh in a windproof flavour but you’ll have to do the homework yourself as I simply can’t be arsed… 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Just pointing out people have had and solved the same problem you are trying to solve, and you seem to be dismissing suggestions based on preconceptions and what you think you “like”, not what might be the best solution. Which is entirely your perogative. I do 500 road miles a month 12 months of the year and spent a lot of money trying to find kit that works, some of it was stuff I was sceptical about and challenged my preconceptions, and some of it didn’t live up to expectations.

Jonba I refer you my previous post on wind proof bases.I didn’t get it, then I borrowed one, bought three…

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Teasel how does the specialized sizing compare to others? I’m a 40″ chest 33″ waist but 6’2″ tall so normally a medium/large for non-flappy?

Vortexracing

You need not look any further than this Castelli item

cheers for the heads up

one ordered 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Teasel how does the specialized sizing compare to others?

Sadly I can’t help with the modern stuff as I only have their similar type of kit from 2002.

Mine are medium and I’m 39″ chest and 31″ waist and 5′ 8. It’s a nice tight fit. The body on mine isn’t the droptail design and is about as short as I would want to go. I don’t have a particularly long body for my height, shorter than average if anything. Comparing that with, say, my Pearl Izumi where I take a small to get the same level of snug, non-flappy fit.

In fact, I only have PI and Spesh in the tight fitting top department so probably not much help.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Thanks teasel. I will ponder some more.

molgrips
    Free Member

you seem to be dismissing suggestions based on preconceptions and what you think you “like”, not what might be the best solution.

What?

Are you suggesting I buy them all to see which I like? Or are you saying that you know best and I have to buy what you want instead of shopping and browsing like everyone else does?

With regards the Gabba, I wasn’t sure if it was a membrane since it’s described as waterproof, but it’s not – great, but it’s too expensive.

I’m struggling to understand what you want Molgrips.

What I want is the Endura one. It ticks all the boxes, it’s a reputable make, and it comes red which is highly visible, tasteful and matches my tights.

brakes
    Free Member

you don’t see many 3-season long sleeved jerseys which have a windstopper fabric on the front and a thin thermofleece lining.
    the bigger simpler brands seem to prefer to offer you a jacket instead.
    it’s a staple of road club kit though, maybe you should join a club and see what they’ve got?

onandon
    Free Member

I have some very expensive jackets for this time of year but I keep going back to an Altura transformer which I paid £35 for a few years ago.
    For me it just works and the fact the sleeves are removable is great in changeable conditions.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at tops like this too recently..

Something long sleeved that I can wear in cooler weather but still race in.

Cant make my mind up between the Endura or going shortsleeved with arm warmers?

And why is so much winter kit black ??? Just not sensible!

crazy-legs

I’ve ignored the requirement for it to be about £90 and would recommend this:

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-jacket/product/PJC02CLR

The Endura FS260 range is excellent too (and much cheaper).
    http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=33

Put some lights on your bike and get on with it!

BadlyWiredDog

Have you considered the Castelli Gabba 🙄 Fwiw, the fabric is Gore Windstopper, which uses a completely windproof EPTFE membrane that also effectively waterproof. It’s a different membrane to the fully waterproof Gore-Tex fabrics and a bit more breathable, but also the seams aren’t taped, so eventually, in heavier rain, it’ll leak there.

In addition, because the membrane doesn’t have a protective PU smear on the inside, there’s a chance that with contamination you’ll get a bit of reverse osmosis where moisture from the outside wicks inwards…

dragon
    Free Member

You can get the Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain Softshell Jacket for around £70 online and it’ll be better made than anything by Endura. Sportful are a ‘pro’ fit mind, so beware.

iainc

^^^^ I am generally a L in Endura and my Sportful Fiandre No Rain is XXL….. 😯

DT78
    Free Member

I have a rapha pro team. Lovely, though the grime doesn’t wash out so mine is less orange these days (a case for black?)

When it gets really cold I use an alp x which I can zip the sleeves off to regulate temp.

I have also just picked up a short sleeve gabba and some arm warmers based on recommendations.

With various base layers and a full gore tex hardshell that should cover me for most conditions.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like that Fiandre jacket too. I’m now old enough to appreciate the high viz colour, but as I said my tights are red… 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

go to a proper bike shop and try some on – there’s a huge amount of variety and what suits/fits me may not be what you need.
    From a brand point of view I think Gore stuff is superb vfm and I love the fit of Mavic clothing.

imn

Whilst not windproof I find the roubaix type long sleeve jerseys warm; an old Gore Contest does for me. Depending how hot you get though a thin SS/LS base or jersey or 2 with a windproof gilet might be more flexible. I find I use this combination for a longer stretch of the year when commuting.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Most (e.g. the black Gabba) have reflective detailing which will make you a lot more visible than just being coloured yellow, which really doesn’t do much at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most (e.g. the black Gabba) have reflective detailing which will make you a lot more visible than just being coloured yellow,

At night, yes, but it does naff all on a dull day. Or on a sunny summer’s day with dark shadows, for that matter.

which really doesn’t do much at all.

From direct experience, it does a lot.

iainc

i went for the fluoro Fiandre No Rain – can’t be too bright on the road IMO …

dragon
    Free Member

Dark clothing is actually more visible in low sunlight, so it isn’t as simple as hi-viz always being the best. Dark clothing with good reflective strips is probably better in dawn, dusk situations.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dark clothing is actually more visible in low sunlight

Oh really?

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve never understood windproof base layers. In my mind to keep warm you need insulation – that is to trap a layer of warm air next to your skin to protect you from the cold. Normally fleece will do this if there is not much wind because the fibers stop the movement of air. However, when cycling there is normally a lot of wind so a windproof panel stops the breeze going straight through the fleece and removing al the warm air. If you put a windproof base layer on under a fleece then you lose this control of air movement and are not much better off than just wearing a the base layer.

I’m a big fan of windproof base layers (wore one yesterday evening in fact) but only for road cycling which might be what you’re not considering (I’d never wear a fleece on a road bike either…).

To me a windproof base layer is basically doing the job of a light gilet but is comfy up to at least 20c so fine to wear all the time (rather than take it on and off). The only time I’ve regretted wearing a windproof baselayer was when I had it under a windproof jacket on a day that was the temp was at the upper limit for the jacket (12c-ish I think), I thought the temp was going to drop but the sun came out and with a normal baselayer opening the jacket zip would have been fine but with a windproof baselayer you don’t get the quick cooldown effect so was harder to regulate my temp.

LS
    Free Member

What you’ve described is a Bioracer Spitfire spring jacket. It’s the consumer version of one of the team Race Proven jackets.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Tight stretchy cold weather top for road cycling?’ is closed to new replies.