Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Tight stretchy cold weather top for road cycling?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Roadies seem to have these things like heavy jerseys that are as snug as lycra tops but thicker and presumably windproof for bad weather. I fancy one, but for like £90 tops. Doesn’t need to be waterproof. Any suggestions. Needs to be snug without any loose flappiness.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Rab PS(Powerstretch) Mols – amazing, warm, windproof and fairly showerproof too.
    They do leggings and shorter pants too.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Craft Windstopper base layer is a decent option and miles under budget – ver good warmth as a base for a regular jersey.

This http://www.prendas.co.uk/craft-be-active-extreme-gore-windstopper-black-long-sleeve-undervest-baselayer-194612-2999.html

I am looking forward to needing to wear mine again!

BadlyWiredDog

Rab PS(Powerstretch) Mols – amazing, warm, windproof and fairly showerproof too.

Except that it’s not windproof. Or showerproof. It’s just pretty much stretchy fleece.

molgrips
    Free Member

Powerstretch, remember that from years ago. Very much not at all windproof IIRC.

Craft Windstopper base layer

I want an outer shell, not a base layer.

Vortexracing

Catelli AR long sleeved jersey

Cheap form Merlin here @£50

http://www.merlincycles.com/castelli-ar-long-sleeved-cycling-jersey-71578.html

theflatboy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I want an outer shell, not a base layer.

Noted – what you want is a Gabba, but for less money! The Craft option isn’t a bad idea, but point taken!

dantsw13

I’d say you want a soft shell gilet.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want it to have sleeves.

MrSmith
    Free Member

spend the dosh on a gabba. does what you require and then when it rains you don get soaked.
    i think sportful do a ‘no-rain’ thingy thats similar

Vortexracing

spend the dosh on a gabba

if you want a fully windproof one then I 2nd that Gabba recommendation

molgrips
    Free Member

spend the dosh on a gabba

What dosh?

And it’s waterproof, which I didn’t want. But yes otherwise that’s what I want.

theflatboy
    Free Member

so if you just want a windproof thickish jersey, wear your regular jersey on top of that Craft and that’s exactly what you’ve got 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

A windproof base layer makes no sense if you think about it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

True, but I can confirm that it’s bloody nice to wear. To put you out of your misery, you want a Gore Oxygen.

nickc

Endura Windchill?

dantsw13

I have a gore Phantom. Soft shell, with zip-off sleeves if required. So gilet or long sleeves in 1 😀

fathomer

Not sure how thick they are but what about an Endur FS260 Jetstream?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Save up, find some sales, get a Gabba. It’s pretty much exactly what you’ve described (at least for autumn cold, not proper winter cold.)

Would recommend the short sleeve one and some matching (or sportful norain) arm warmers. That way you can wear them with the Gabba, or pair it with some thinner ones for not so cold days. Just makes it all the more versatile.

molgrips
    Free Member

Save up, find some sales, get a Gabba. It’s pretty much exactly what you’ve described.

If it’s waterproof, with a membrane, then it’s not going to be anything like as breathable as one that’s simply windproof.

molgrips
    Free Member

The FS260 jetstream looks like a good option.

StuF

One of these would fit the bill, although slightly more

Stolen Goat – climb and conquer jacket

Maybe santa will bring me one for christmas

teasel
    Free Member

Do you need it windproof over the entire garment or will various strategic panels be enough?

If the latter look at Spesh stuff over on Cyclestore – they had some deals when I looked a few days ago, some reduced stuff right on your maximum budget.

Gotama
    Free Member

I just got a rapha pro soft shell base layer thing. They’re 40 quid in the sale from 80. Needs to be worn with bibs due to the cut but it seems excellent. Essentially a very thin soft shell layer which goes under a normal jersey. Keeps your core warm.

imnotverygood

Gabbas aren’t really waterproof, they just keep the odd spot of rain out. Trust me. They are what you want.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, not waterproof, just windproof. They sort of are water repellant but they seem to keep you warm when it’s not too wet.

benp1

I have a gore windstopper jacket that converts into a gilet, can’t remember which one, probably over budget if you can’t find it in the sale though

I have a Craft top too, performance bike jacket something. It’s a softshell jacket, feels awkward unless your in the riding position in which case it’s excellent. It’s well in budget, available from a few places, quick google throws up this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/craft-pb-stretch-bike-jacket/rp-prod110589

m360
    Free Member

Rab Vapour Rise Stretch.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I second the softshell base layer. Kept me cosy on a wet and cold 25tt.
    A lot of club mates swear by the Gabba. Wiggle had them for. £95 the other day short sleeve

scaredypants

Noted – what you want is a Gabba, but for less money!

Capo Lombardia, (relatively) poor man’s gabba

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has the Stolen Goat jacket above.

They also do more of a Jersey that I think it was road.CC reviewed as being as good as a Gabba but far cheaper. Great stuff, I have one of their regular long sleeved jerseys.

plus-one

The jet stream is a good top I have one .. I picked up a rapha winter jersey in sale last year and I’m so impressed with it I bought another !!

£105 in sale windproof front panels and plenty pockets/nice detail and excellent zips on front that really let air flow in as opposed to pit type that just flap 🙁

Really snug fit no flapping 🙂

iainc

As a gabba alternative, you could try a Sportful Fiandre, like this. I have one and it is my goto winter road top. Can often be had well discounted

aether531
    Free Member

+1 on the Gabba (or similar). I’ve got a craft one that does the same job. They keep you dry for a good while, but once they do start getting wet you still seem to keep warm. Essential for UK riding.

mrhoppy

Stolen Goat orkaan top, just ace, out gabbas the gabbas.

Daffy

Rapha winter jersey.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The PS is wind proof and fairly showerproof- I own 3 of them and use them for work, bike, mountains, etc.
    It’s outer is a lightweight shell without the full blown construction of their jackets.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Molgrips, a lot the previous recommendations will do what you want but youre dismissing as theyre not what you expected. I thought wind proof base was completely daft til I tried one (borrowed), I now own 3 Craft Windstopper bases. Effectively does the job of a thermal base and a gilet.

Gabba or No Rain. It’s not a membrane its a property of the fabric (silicone). Interesting article in a recent road mag- Castelli use Windstopper fabric and Gore told them not to claim it was waterproof as they worried it’d hurt Goretex sales.

sputnik
    Free Member

You need not look any further than this Castelli item. One of my favourite road jerseys. It’s front panelled with Gore Windstopper X lite. Nice tight race cut,zero flapping, looks fantastic and performs well.
    http://m.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clothing/castelli-trasparente-due-wind-fz-cycling-jersey/10756659.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_clothing&affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=CMelmNSxy8cCFQ3jGwodW-cOjA&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIf3pdSxy8cCFUiE2wodCikOaw&variation=10756662

theflatboy
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member

Molgrips, a lot the previous recommendations will do what you want but youre dismissing as theyre not what you expected.

Agreed. There are about 5 options in this thread already that are as good as you’re going to get…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Tight stretchy cold weather top for road cycling?’ is closed to new replies.