Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Ti Frame for 140mm forks and replaceable hanger
  • Scootash
    Free Member

I’m looking for a Titanium hardtail frame, suitable for 140mm forks but with a replaceable mech hanger. Can’t skimp on any of these details.
    SS’able a bonus but not necessary.

Sort of things I’ve been looking at, but don’t quite tick all the boxes:
    On One Ti 456 (ridden one, like it, non-replacable dropouts)
    Cotic Soda (not suitable for 140mm forks)
    Whyte 19 Ti Trail (not suitable for 140mm forks, but SS’able dropouts)

I’m currently riding a medium Marin Rocky Ridge 2006, which is excellent
    from a geometry and sizing point of view, but a little harsh in ali.
    A ti rocky ridge would be fine. I want to keep using my fox vanilla
    140mm forks and certainly wouldn’t want to go to anything shorter in
    future. I ride like a fool, and spend a long time air borne. I eat
    mech hangers for breakfast.

Any suggestions?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Custom build using Rocky Ridge geometry?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Steel?

If you bend the hanger, you just bend it back again. (I’m the expert on this!)

richc
    Free Member

I am fairly certain you won’t find any to fit that description, as if you snap a Ti Mech hanger off you will have more than likely trashed the frame/yourself.

Might be worth speaking to Omega/Lynsky about a custom frame, tho if you are determined to have one.

mk1fan
    Free Member

forge 197 had a custom Ti frame made up by a man out Dartford way. Cost less than an On-One 456ti and was to their own spec.

tinsy
    Free Member

Why cant you use a break away mech bolt on a Ti frame instead of worrying about a replaceable hangar?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Lynskey Ridgeline and Shedfire/Tweak/whatever it is this week Ragley are both 140mm friendly. Not sure about the mech hanger though.

Cove Hummer?

Find a secondhand Dialled Morning Glory?

pushbikerider
    Free Member

You could go direct to China for a custom frame, XACD do a replaceable hanger, you’d need to match it with an eccentric BB for the SS option maybe…

Have a peek at my blog if you want more info about a frame from XACD

Spanner Titanium

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Sabbath bikes do a 140mm ti hardtail, they’ll also do customs if something is not to your taste with std one.

kelvin

Um, am I missing what the extra 10mm is essential for?

= :7)

Should be plenty of options at 130mm, no?

Hummer?

Daffy

Voodoo D-jab – exactly what you’re looking for.

smiffy

why do you need a replaceable hanger with a Ti frame?

Pauly

Scootash
    Free Member

richc: I’ve bent 4 mech hangers, snapped 1, on the current ali frame in 2.5 years. Frame is still fine, as the hanger is replaceable.
    tinsy: not heard about them, will look into it.
    Kelvin: My existing fork is 140mm. I like it, I don’t want to replace it. If I did replace it, I certainly wouldn’t be going shorter. If I’m spending a grand or more on a frame, I’m not going for one that isn’t geometried for my fork size.
    Smiffy: mech hangers bend – knock them off things, crashes, chain suck, putting the bike too heavily into the back of the car, done it all. Getting gear shifting working properly again
    means it needs to be straightened to perfection. 12 quid part from
    your rucksack and continue or limp to somewhere they can straighten your expensive frame. Assuming you didn’t rip the hanger off, which would be
    pretty annoying on an expensive frame (repairable, but a hassle). Again,
    I’ve done this, fixed it and continued on. I really like replaceable hangers.

Thanks all for your advice.

Del

compare the axle to crown height of your fork and a 130. i suspect you may be surprised by what you find, and a few more options may open up.
    from the way you ride/treat your bike though IMHO you’d be better off fitting a heavier tube, running a lower pressure, getting some comfort, and not trashing a grand’s worth of nice frame…..

tinsy
    Free Member

Scootash… here you go, it seems most Ti frames dont have a replacable hanger (at least mine hasnt) this might be your answer.

Breakaway Bolt.

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/access_breakawaybolts.php

the_lecht_rocks

tinsy is right.

brant
    Free Member

Lynskey can do it. I think the new Cotic’s might have. I put a 5mm hole in the dropout so that it’s theoretically possible to make something that locates somehow. A kind of future “if I get around to it.”

But 6.4mm of Ti plate is pretty solid.

Hooter
    Free Member

Find some thumbshifters and run them on friction. Then it doesn’t matter if your mech hanger is not perfectly aligned. Fine for everything but racing 🙂 I have a Ti 456, they ride very nice at 140mm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

buy a hanger straightening tool? They’r only £30 or so. Dead easy to use and can save a alu hanger at least a couple of times. Steel ones almost indefinately.

I’ve never managed to mangle a steel hanger (PP has though, ask him for pics) and Ti is even stronger. And as Brant said, if it realy does get riped off, drill a hole and I’m sure BETD could fassion soemthing.

Would a lifetime warrenty ti frame be covered for PP levels of mech hanger abuse?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would a lifetime warrenty ti frame be covered for PP levels of mech hanger abuse?

Heheheeee!
    I was doing maybe 5mph when I did my Inbred hanger. I stopped well within one wheel revolution. And I thoroughly agree with the OPs need for some sort of insurance policy if he gets through a few hangers, because I know what it’s like….
    THIS is why I don’t buy expensive (any material) frames. I wouldn’t be too bothered about wrecking a cheapie!
    Which is why I suggested steel, because you can get some lovely steel frames, that have hardly any quantifyable differences from Ti, but are easily repairable.
    If you don’t have the confidence to ride hard, what’s the point of spending loads of money?
    😀

richc
    Free Member

you can get some lovely steel frames, that have hardly any quantifyable differences from Ti

Not sure if I agree with that, over 2lbs in weight is definitely a quantifiable amount.

Not that I would buy a Ti frame that costs >£1000. However the £600 Ti456 if it ever happens would be very tempting.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not sure if I agree with that, over 2lbs in weight is definitely a quantifiable amount.

I said HARDLY and differences. That’s the only one I could think of really and I knew someone would say just that….
    And let’s be honest, you’re probably looking at just over a pound really.
    🙂

one_bad_mofo

I’ve no idea what you’d need to do to rip the mech hanger of a Ti frame. I did manage to bend one once though. However, not a problem popped into the local frame builder and they bent it back into line.

richc
    Free Member

And let’s be honest, you’re probably looking at just over a pound really.

Well using the Ragleys, as they actually publish frame weights and Brant is pretty honest with these things

Blue Pig: 5.6lb
    Ragley Ti: 3.4lb

So its actually a bit over 2lbs weight difference, between a Ti and Steel frame which would be a fair chunk of weight difference.

kelvin

Soul 4.2lb

Soda only about 1lb less

richc
    Free Member

Would a Soda be suitable for lots of Jumping?

Norton
    Free Member

I ride a Rocky Ridge and have own Ti hardtails as well – in tests the RR is always praised for having a more forgiving ride than other Alu hardtails of the hardcore variety – you might want to assure yourself that you really are going to get a significantly better ride quality from a Ti frame before you lay out the money…

bishbashbosh

Hummer

kelvin

Would a Soda be suitable for lots of Jumping?

I don’t think so. Only put that up as a comparison of Steel vs Ti frame weight.

Charge do (or did) a jumpy Ti frame IIRC. Singletrack reviewed it once upon a time.

rOcKeTdOg

do you mean replaceable mech hanger or adjustable to make SSing the frame easier?, if so why not a Ti frame with an EBB?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

bear in mind the number of Ti failiures there seems to have been posted on here recently. Doesn’t seem that bikes made from the stuff are any more durable than their aluminium equivlalents.

2lb is a significant weight. But for the £400-£900 price difference between most steel bikes and their ti eqivalent you could buy a lot of lightweight stuff. I could easily shed 75-100g each from stem, post, bars (truvative XO to controlltech, titec knock to tomphson, ea50 to ec), 200g form the saddle (bel air to anythign roady like), 300g+ from the brakes (old XT/XTR with goodrich to whatevers new ang light), 400g from the wheels (Xc on XM321, to spesh), 200g from the pedals (v8’s to wellgo mags with ti axels). Nearly 3lb there, and off my mental check list thats still only spending £800 or so.

kelvin

Steel and Ti frames need not be 2lb apart in weight anyway, as I was trying to point out. Different frames are different weight, it’s not just about Steel vs Ti when comparing weights and/or knock-about-ability.

Back to replaceable hangers… neither steel nor Ti frames really ‘need’ them, but if you’re splashing ‘lots’ of dosh on a frame it’s nice to know that vulnerable bit is replaceable. You’re far less likely to knock them with shadow mechs anyway, so perhaps just fit one of them if you are worried.

druidh
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

bear in mind the number of Ti failiures there seems to have been posted on here recently. Doesn’t seem that bikes made from the stuff are any more durable than their aluminium equivlalents.

A change of material will not make up for poor design or manufacture.

Freezie
    Free Member

New Cove Hummer’s which are now built by Lynskey have a replaceable hanger, I like the dropouts too, much better than previous frames.

brant
    Free Member

That doesn’t look like the “new” Cove Hummer I saw the other day.

Freezie
    Free Member

Was it a last years new then

Freezie
    Free Member

If you’re loaded, Dekerf will do a custom Ti Implant with EBB and Paragon Machine Works slidey dropouts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

didn’t the dropouts crack/fall off the (edit:first batch of) lynksey 456’s?

litespeeds with headtubes falling off?

Not saying all Ti frames are bad, but given their small numbers there seem to be a disproportionate number of failiures reported on here!

I want my old 2.something lb disk only steel sunn hardtail back 🙁

Now that was a well designed frame! Light, responsive, and you felt like you could actualy load it into jumps, corners it was that forgiving/flexy. Anyone got a 19″ one going spare?

richc
    Free Member

take any pictures of the new Hummer Brant?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Ti Frame for 140mm forks and replaceable hanger’ is closed to new replies.