Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thule 591 Question
  • oldgituk
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve just had halfords fit a pair of thule 591s to my car, but instead of both facing forwards, one is forwards and one is backwards facing.
    This seems daft to me. Surely there is a left and a right so you can get the bikes forwards facing ?

Does anyone know if there is a way to reverse the upright fitting on one side so the uprights are both in the centre of the roof, but both bikes face forwards ?

Many Thanks for any help you can give
    OG

geoffj

Yes you reverse the upright. Have a look at the instructions. It’s pretty easy.

unsponsored
    Free Member

You can swap the gubbins over. Just loosen it off, slide it off, flip it around and put it back on. I have mine setup like this. Should be some details in the paper work.

oldgituk
    Free Member

Thanks Guys 🙂

Basil

Have you considered both facing forwards, you will need bikes seperating so the bars do not clash ?

dhrider
    Free Member

Unless both bikes have 780mm bars or the car hasa very narrow roof, both bikes are fine facing forwards.

andyl
    Free Member

no worries about them clashing as they won’t sit perfectly side by side.

Because of the pivot position of the arm you will have to have one bike further forward than the other on the car roof. Bit of a stupid design really and annoying if you like to have things lined up. But it does mean the bars won’t hit so maybe they did it on purpose?

fishboy
    Free Member

Quite straightforward, just be careful not to over tighten the t-bolts that hold the arm to the wheel rail. I did and I’m having trouble finding a replacement one 🙁

Anyone help!?!

fandango
    Free Member

@fishboy, try roofbox.co.uk, they’re usually pretty helpful.

andyl
    Free Member

I pick up my Thule spares from Swinnerton Cycles: http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/

Best prices I have found.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

If you are running them both forwards make sure you swap over the rails, so the support arms on the inside, and tension twist lock are on the outside of the bike (ie the car door sides) on both.

You end up running one rail the opposite direction but makes it much easier to get to the locks, and the bikes on, especially on higher vehicles.

Can easily run two bikes, have ours set uo with three, outsides facing forwards with the centre facing backwards.

fishboy
    Free Member

Cheers guys, will give them a try!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Thule 591 Question’ is closed to new replies.