Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • thread for iPhone haterz
  • CountZero

Wot he sed^.

nickc

I used to have a phone and a nano, having a phone "thing" and a music "thing" too cart around was beginning to get a bit* tiresome. Seeing as I already used itunes and my contract was up, I switched to an iphone. It's nice, I don't really care about the lifestyle thing.

* not like, life changingly tiresome, but you know, two chargers two things to find, loose, not fit in pockets, just…a bit, you know?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It's just everything in one place. mrs deadly has had one since they came out, being a graphic designer apple fangirl type, so it's taken me a while to convert (and waiting for Vodafone). It's the first piece of technology since sky+ that's really made my life a little bit better, whereas all other phones/tvs/video cameras/digital cameras have just complicated things for me.

bonj
    Free Member

you're just all sold into the whole ethos of it, they've completely got you by the balls.
    THe complaint about "having a separate mp3 player is too much to cart around" – that's an image THEY'VE put into your head! It just goes to show the miraculous ability of a clever marketing campaign to tell you that you need something, in lieu of you actually realising you need it yourself.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh FFS bonj, zorry, juzt again, can you clear thiz up for me…I have a phone which I find incredibly uzeful, az well az lotz of other people on thiz thread…far better than any piece of zhit Nokia, or Zony Ericzzon I've uzed…but no, you've zeen the light…I'm juzt a victim of thoze clever marketeerz at Apple.

Well ztone the crowz.

bonj
    Free Member

Apparently iphones' alarms don't work when off?!! 👿 Is this true??!!
    How long were you going to leave it before admitting this??!
    Hahhahahaha!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bonj
    Free Member

Oh FFS bonj, zorry, juzt again, can you clear thiz up for me…I have a phone which I find incredibly uzeful, az well az lotz of other people on thiz thread…far better than any piece of zhit Nokia, or Zony Ericzzon I've uzed…but no, you've zeen the light…I'm juzt a victim of thoze clever marketeerz at Apple.

Well ztone the crowz.

Right. Just answer two questions:
    a) How much time have you spent on your iphone in the last, say, week or month over and above what you would spend on a normal phone?
    b) What tangible benefit in your life have you got to show for it?

The fact that (a) divided by (b) is infinity, proves that all iPHones are good for is sucking you into an infinite brain drain.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Apparently iphones' alarms don't work when off?!! Is this true??!!
    How long were you going to leave it before admitting this??!
    Hahhahahaha!!!

Apparently?

Again, not true.

Don't get all your information from hearsay, rumour, wikipedia or the Daily Mail!

nickc

Don't care about the alarm function, never used it. (or any other alarm on any other phone I've ever owned)…what's your point?

Time on iphone? about as much as my last phone…people call me, I call them, people text me I text other people. I use the ipod function on the walk home

There are no benefits to owning an iphone other than now I have less charger angst..

bonj
    Free Member

Apparently?

Again, not true.

Don't get all your information from hearsay, rumour, wikipedia or the Daily Mail!
    When OFF, not just in flight mode?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Your argument could be applied to any piece of technology though. You're just choosing to apply it to iPhones because you've got "issues" (in a Saturdays singing type way) with the evangelists, who I haven't met by the way, despite iPhone ownership being the highest percentage of my mates.

None of us tries to persuade others to use them, I don't hand it to strangers and insist they play with it. I do however get asked if it can be borrowed to google something, or to check a map location, simply because it seems to do those things better than other phones. And hey, you know what, sometimes, people just want to have a play with it.

bonj
    Free Member

None of us tries to persuade others to use them, I don't hand it to strangers and insist they play with it

YOU might not, yes, but some people do.
    The other day at work somebody was trying to get me to have a look at one that he was flogging of and it wasn't even a real one – it was a fake! I did warn him he was funding global crime gangs, people trafficking, and armed drug cartels but I don't think he cares.
    Instead of saying "iPhone", it just said "Phone" 🙄

who's so sad that they have a fake iPhone?

NikNak7890
    Free Member

bonj – Member
    Apparently?
    Again, not true.

When OFF, not just in flight mode?

Gotcha.

Well, that's like saying my video/sky+ etc, won't record my favourite tv show when I turn it off.

The iPhone is effectively a mini-pc, not "just" a phone. It's more like a mini-pc. Have the haters never watched a video clip or played a game on their computer, or do they have an Internet browsing device, a video player, a games machine and an emailer+ for each individual task?!

mrben100
    Free Member

Probably asking to borrow it to go on google to escape actually having to interact with the 'oh so interesting' iPhone owner! 😉

bonj
    Free Member

Gotcha.

Well, that's like saying my video/sky+ etc, won't record my favourite tv show when I turn it off.
    yes but it's A PHONE!!!
    Phones are meant to not need to be left on all night draining the battery if I want to be woke up the next morning! What if you want to not worry about the fact that the battery might run down in the middle of the night and you'll be late for work the next morning, which with an iPhone being battery hungry as it is it probably would!
    It effectively means you have to LUG a charger around with you wherever you go, which is a lot more awkward to carry around than a separate mp3 player and camera!

bonj
    Free Member

Have the haters never watched a video clip or played a game on their computer, or do they have an Internet browsing device, a video player, a games machine and an emailer+ for each individual task?!

Yes but the difference is, a computer is just as good at those things* as a separate one, an iphone isn't as good at being a camera, sat nav, or mp3 player, or even a phone, as a dedicated one is.

* apart from possibly games, when you might have a separate console, but i dont' play computer games so i wouldn't know

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I don't think there's a single phone's alarm that works when it's turned completely off, so this is hardly a singular flaw of the iPhone, plus what does a "normal phone" do that the iPhone doesn't? It has contacts, a keypad to dial a number not stored, voicemail …the whole gamut!

and I ask again, what is it a regular mp3 player does that the iPhone doesn't?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I got caught out by the alarm thing. Every Nokia I've turns itself on for the alarm, the iphone doesn't. Guess who overslept that first morning!

Not sure if I fall in the love it or hate it category. I like the idea and I found the handset rather usable although it misses some of the functions I'm used to on the Nokia like separate times for incoming and outgoing calls so I can actually monitor what I'm doing/spending same with a text message cunter or the ability to get delivery reports for text. Still, I'm pretty sure there must be an app for most of those.

Speaking of apps. If you want a dial rather than buttons, I'm sure someone must make an ap for that!

However, my iphone has gone back because I had it with Vodafone but their network coverage isn't what they claim it to be. Combine this with the fact that the iphone is renowned for poor reception and you have an iphone that's more just an "i" and a lot less of a phone. Also, Vodafone's smtp server is borked beyond belief so I couldn't actually send email over gprs.

Plus, while the salesman told me that Vodafone warranty all handsets for the duration of the contact, what he meant to say was all handsets, except the very expensive iphone.

I'm back on my Nokia 6300 now. All it does is make phone calls and do texts. However, it does actually do those things rather well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a very clever piece of kit but in the main its about marketing. How much of the stuff on it did you not need before you got it? Its all about creating a market not about fulfilling a need.

Very clever both the tech and the marketing

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I think Jeremy has hit the nail on the head. Like most things, you buy the thing that best serves your needs.
    Since owning my previous phone (HTC Touch), my top 3 must haves on a phone are Internet browsing, texting, and voice calls, in that order.

I'm fully paid up, proud embracing member of the geek club, and love gadgets that allow me to do all of the stuff I enjoy doing, when I want to do them 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm a hard core unix geek. I'm no great fan of apple and I have many issues with their desktops and laptops (actually I think there's lots of areas of functionality that apple have decided to cock up simply to be different rather than to be better) but their hand held devices rock hugely as far as I'm concerned. I've got an ipod touch and it's brilliant. I cannot fault it at all.

CountZero

bonj, you are just an obsessive looking for something to rail against, so you've picked on a very popular electronic device. Yes, the iPhone is sold as a phone, because previously similar machines, sold as PDA's, have only proved popular with business types. By creating a hand-held, powerful pocket computer, with full Internet access, and selling it as a telephone through multiple mobile phone outlets, Apple have done what no other phone manufacturer had been able to do, despite being in the business for years, and that was sell such a device to ordinary consumers, by showing them that such a device didn't have to be stupidly complicated and difficult to understand and use. I previously had two so-called smart phones, and they were unbelievably frustrating to use, either due to the size of screen, battery life or OS. The Nokia I had before this iPhone would drain it's battery in two hours just listening to music, the XDA before that was impossible to use for just about anything other than texting and phoning. I have never had an issue with the quality of calls on the iPhone, in contrast to the lousey reception on the Nokia, which I stopped using for phone calls without a headset on because I could hardly hear what people were saying, whereas the iPhone is crystal clear. I'm really looking forward to my next upgrade from the 3G I have now to the 4G in June, with its 5Mp camera and 64Gb capacity, and its multicore processor. This 16Gb one is practically full up with music, books, maps, etc, all of which go to making my everday life just that little bit better, in ways your insignificant little brain obviously fails to comprehend.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Bonj – I have a quality ten quid alarm clock to wake me up in the morning *. Why would I use my phone?

* my 3 year old however always beats the alarm clock!

Posted whilst browsing on my iPod

rs
    Free Member

Yes but the difference is, a computer is just as good at those things* as a separate one, an iphone isn't as good at being a camera, sat nav, or mp3 player, or even a phone, as a dedicated one is.

Sorry for being blunt but you're an idiot, its not supposed to be as good as stand alone devices (except maybe the MP3 player), it does all those things really very well in an easy to use way 🙄

ps. I don't own an iPhone but do have an iPod Touch which is relegated to sitting in my car glove box as my nokia 5800 does most of what the touch does but not quite as well, but it is my phone and i have with me at all times.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another thing the iphone doesn't do is allow you to record voice calls. I can do that with the Nokia. For such a "clever" device, I was surprised at the number of limitations I found in the week I had one. However, if I could find a similar contract without the signal issues, I'd consider trying again.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Onzadog, you've whinged constantly about the Vodafone signal, but I've had mine since the 14th, and it's been a fine. A darn sight less clunky on 3g than the piece of sheeite N95 8GB I'd had previously. I guess it comes down to where you live, but mine is absolutely fine.

organic355
    Free Member

God I got bored half way down the 1st page of this and skipped the rest ( by flicking upwards with my finger). What a waste of energy and time.

If you don't like iPhones don't get one and move on. Why bother trying to get support from people on here to justify your views?

I love mine, end of story.

(sent from my iPhone)

cp

I never buy anything because of marketing bobbins, it HAS to be functional. I own an iPhone. It is massively functional!! There were loads of reasons why I got one, but one of the overriding things was that it means I have most of the things I need day to day in one device. I need to access email regularly for some voluntary work- I have that with me all the time with the iPhone. I use a paper map for the most part, but google maps gets me through cities and built up areas where using nap would be more dangerous. It has a very good mp3 player, which lasts a LONG time. So, just to do that little lot would need me to carry round a laptop with 3g dongle, an mp3 player, and a sat nav. Oh, and a phone to make calls. The additional facts that it has a camera for quick snaps (that's another device I don't have to lug around all the time, obviously unless I want decent shots),thousands of apps that make day to day things a bit easier (I always track fuel consumption of my car – mainly to see if anything is wrong with it- there's an app for that 😉 ), it will soon have is mapping on it in the form of memory map, and with a Dahon case could conceivably be used on a bike.

All progress to making life that bit simpler.

Do you live in a cave, cook on an open fire, eat with your fingers and walk everywhere?

petefromearth

i don't own an iphone, because if i did i know i'd be playing with it constantly and also i quite like my monthly bills to be in the £5-£10 range. i can't really justify an extra £300 a year for a gadget myself, but i can see why others like them

despite the fact that the iphone doesn't really do anything new, you can't deny that Apple have succeeded in packaging technology that was already around and making it work really well together

i guess they're a bit like facebook. there were plenty of social networking sites around for ages before them, they just executed theirs in a way that made it accessible to everyone

some of these comments remind me a lot of my Dad! (sorry)
    he's by no means a technophobe, but if he comes across something that's new to him he'll bang the mouse and swear instead of working out how to use it! however school kids manage ok, what's that all about?!?!

"b*st*rds!! why do they have to make it so complicated?!" etc etc

i'll be like him one day 🙂

cp

You could go on…. Massively intuitive to use, qwerty keyboard (emails on predictive text phones are laborious), best calendar of any phone I looked at when I was considering the iPhone… The list is endless….

All sent from iPhone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

deadlydarcy, you're right, I have moaned about the signal as I'm a tad peeved at it. My point is, it's not just "I love iPhone" or "I hate iPhone". The service provider has a bit to do with it. The thing I have noticed is that where a Nokia works fine on the local signal, the iPhone struggles (YMMV). I like the device and the concept but it didn't work for me as Apple's ability to make a phone seems to be noticeably below that of Nokia. Perhaps a little unfair that I'm comparing a normal Nokia phone to an Apple smartphone but that's just what I've found. It's not just a whinge, someone might find that information useful.

In Vodafone's defence, when I told them there were signal issues, they did offer to sell me a gateway device to use in my home that would cost me £50. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, I'm off to ride my bike!

stumpyjon

yes but it's A PHONE!!!

Well there's your first misconception, it's way more than that. As for those saying people buy them because they believe the marketing hype, some may, I didn't. I bought it because it seemed to offer all the disparate devices I've owned previously in one useable package and so far it hasn't disappointed me.

I wanted a new iPod when I bought mine (outright on PAYG), my old 4 Gb wasn't big enough, so that accounted for halt the cost immediately. I can plug an iPod in in both my cars, I'd regularly forget to pick up my iPod.

I have it synced to my work calender so I've always got that with me which I never managed properly with a PDA, I've got my contacts with it set up properly and synced with my home PC (first time I've ever been motivated to do this properly). I use it occaisionally to pick up email when I'm away from a PC, don't do it often but it's been very useful, same with web access. The only device it hasn't really replaced yet is my bike GPS but I may have another go at looking at that, didn't realise you could get the maps resident on the phone and OS ,mapping at that, my fault for getting a cheap app. The camera's useful too, not as good as my stand alone camera, but then as I don't carry my main camera around much the iPhone is at least with me.

It's way more than a normal phone, if you don't get it, that may because you haven't had the chance to use one or it doesn't fit into your lifestyle, fine, no issues, but don't assume those of us with them are just sucked into the marketing. Mine has definitely made my life marginal better and for me that's been good.

I'm sure other brands of Smartphone are good too, I went iPhone because all my music was in iTunes format, it's since also proved to be very easy to use.

Free Member

I had an iPhone, but then I noticed common folks with them, people who drank CARLING LAGER FFS!!! And as I am FAR too cool for that, I sold it and now I use a rather retro feeling Nokia.

And that is the reason why I am going to grown a beard, you should do the same.

bonj
    Free Member

its not supposed to be as good as stand alone devices

so … why not have standalone devices then?

Sorry but while you're all sat there browsing the internet and responding to this thread on your iphone feeling all smug at the irony of responding to a thread about the moronicity of some (not all,before you all get on your high horse) iphone users, I'm afraid that all you're doing is limiting yourself to a 3 inch screen in order to browse the internet away from your PC *just because you can*.
    OK, admit it – how many of you are using your iphone to access the internet from the living room when you've got your PC sitting idle in the next room? Pointless.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

😆

bonj
    Free Member

i'm going to get this phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7SzB58qHI0 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

OK, admit it – how many of you are using your iphone to access the internet from the living room when you've got your PC sitting idle in the next room? Pointless.

I am in the bath.

HTH.

bonj
    Free Member

The best thing about my £15 Tesco Value Nokia is not only does its alarm clock WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OFF, but it has also got A TORCH!!

DrJ

The best thing about my £15 Tesco Value Nokia is not only does its alarm clock WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OFF, but it has also got A TORCH!!

Well, if that's the best thing about it, no wonder it only cost you 15 quid!!

Maybe you can use it to phone in your complaint about your Google phone
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/186399/google_faces_deluge_of_nexus_one_complaints.html
    The long battery life will be handy!

naokfreek
    Free Member

An iphone would'nt last a day in my hands, my old nokia gets soaking everytime it rains ( if i'm working), gets dropped alot and still works. Its been filled with water before now (several times), but take the battery out and put on a very hot radiator…sorted. Good piece of kit the iphone but not that good, HTC HD2 is better and i've used both. IMO of course!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘thread for iPhone haterz’ is closed to new replies.